996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wheel disassembly and powdercoating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM
yoopmqt is infamous around these parts
Wheel disassembly and powdercoating

I have these particular HRE wheels, which are off my car for the winter.

http://wheelsperformancecom.stores.y...t/hre542r.html

I found a place to get them powdercoated for a very reasonable price. My plan is to disassemble them, and get the rim and spokes powdercoated black separately, then put them back together with the original silver bolts.

Has anyone done this? Anything I should know or watch out for? Torque spec for reassembly?

What am I not thinking of?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Any HRE warranty will be null and void if you take them apart and reassemble them yourself.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Any HRE warranty will be null and void if you take them apart and reassemble them yourself.
Ok... well these are older rims. In fact, they are a discontinued model. I wouldn't think that they are under warranty anymore anyway.

Is there a legitimate reason I shouldn't do it, though?

I think Porsche owners on this site do lots of things that may void warranties .... I'm more worried about safety and performance.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 AM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
I've been told to leave wheel disassembly/assembly to the pros...
Something about the forces involved at speed, that if you don't reassemble in just the right way, you may have a failure.
Just what I was told.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
ultraman206 is infamous around these parts
Not hard to do at all.

I've done it twice already; I took apart a set of 19" HRE 840r and a set of 19" DPE S-20 in the past.

If you are just planning to powdercoat the centers, then it is even easier; you don't even have to remove the tires.
1. Just deflate the tires to remove pressure from the wheel and not disturb the bead of silicone seal
2. use a 12 point socket (forgot the size, can check at home tonight) to remove the bolts holding the center to the inner/outer barrel halves
3. mark/note how the center and barrel align so you can reassemble exactly how it was (I do this to ensure the wheel weights are still correct for balance, but probably a good idea to rebalance anyways)
4. take out the center, careful not to disturb the barrel halves as much as possible
5. powdercoat and reassemble. Reassembly is pretty straight forward, just make sure to torque to correct manufacture specs and in a cross pattern (like with lug bolts on mounting wheels). I think HRE is 24 ft/lb, but double check with them or a wheel repair shop.

If you are planning to powdercoat both the centers and lips, then it involves a few more steps.
1. remove tires from wheels
2. use a 12 point socket to remove the bolts holding the center to the inner/outter barrel halves
3. cut the silicone bead
4. mark/note the center and barrel halves orientation to one another
5. take out the center and split the two halves
6. to reassemble, align the halves and center together and make sure to torque to correct manufacture specs and in a cross pattern.
7. usually there is a valley between the two barrel halves, lay a continuous bead of silicone in there. Use proper silicone type for aluminum
8. let dry and mount tires and balance etc.

Here is a very good 3 part video on the whole process from CCW: http://www.ccwheel.com/incs/technica...air_video.html

cheers

Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
With Speedlines you are supposed to use only new bolts for reassembly. I would contact HRE in Vista CA

Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I did this recently with my BBS RS-GT wheels.

You'll definitely want a torque wrench and loctite for reassembly. As someone pointed out, you'll want to get new bolts if your originals are 1 time use type.(Note: companies like BBS will not sell you the bolts directly for liability reasons and only offer them if they are doing the work or else voided warranty) However, some have reused these types with additional torque when reassembling with no issues. You'll also want new seals if they are 3 piece design.

Here's the important part and one that is often overlooked:
Make sure the powdercoater knows the proper techniques when powdercoating wheels. Forged wheels especially can lose their strength when heat treated for extended periods of time. Depending on the powder and technique used, this can alter the original metalurgy of the wheel. I've seen a couple cracked wheels due to improper powdercoat technique.

I'll see if I can dig up a couple pics tonight.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by ultraman206
Not hard to do at all.

I've done it twice already; I took apart a set of 19" HRE 840r and a set of 19" DPE S-20 in the past.

If you are just planning to powdercoat the centers, then it is even easier; you don't even have to remove the tires.
1. Just deflate the tires to remove pressure from the wheel and not disturb the bead of silicone seal
2. use a 12 point socket (forgot the size, can check at home tonight) to remove the bolts holding the center to the inner/outer barrel halves
3. mark/note how the center and barrel align so you can reassemble exactly how it was (I do this to ensure the wheel weights are still correct for balance, but probably a good idea to rebalance anyways)
4. take out the center, careful not to disturb the barrel halves as much as possible
5. powdercoat and reassemble. Reassembly is pretty straight forward, just make sure to torque to correct manufacture specs and in a cross pattern (like with lug bolts on mounting wheels). I think HRE is 24 ft/lb, but double check with them or a wheel repair shop.

If you are planning to powdercoat both the centers and lips, then it involves a few more steps.
1. remove tires from wheels
2. use a 12 point socket to remove the bolts holding the center to the inner/outter barrel halves
3. cut the silicone bead
4. mark/note the center and barrel halves orientation to one another
5. take out the center and split the two halves
6. to reassemble, align the halves and center together and make sure to torque to correct manufacture specs and in a cross pattern.
7. usually there is a valley between the two barrel halves, lay a continuous bead of silicone in there. Use proper silicone type for aluminum
8. let dry and mount tires and balance etc.

Here is a very good 3 part video on the whole process from CCW: http://www.ccwheel.com/incs/technica...air_video.html

cheers
Very good info! Thank you!!