996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Ultimate Factories on Nat Geo - Porsche 911...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Ultimate Factories on Nat Geo - Porsche 911...

...absolutely fascinating. Watching it right now. 911 build - start to finish.

This particular topic is obviously so spot on & close to the heart that I'm going to buy the DVD from National Geographic.

Hope other folks on the forums are able to see this show.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Great Series - I saved the whole series on my PVR. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and BMW.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned
mrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nice
the r8 and corvette episode were great.911 show is a must see.
thanks for the tip

Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Yes...

Originally Posted by djantlive
...it is sir...

Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Loved it and after watching went for a pretty crazy drive! lol

Old 11-21-2010, 10:31 PM
jzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura about
I saw the one about the porsche factory on tv the other day... absolutely sick, I wish i could take an actual tour there.
oh oh and jeeeessssuuussss i want the new gt3, the blue one from the show will do just fine

Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
have it on my dvr...great show...

Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I almost got arrested at the Porsche Factory back in '95 as I "accidentally" stumbled into a private closed off section where they were making track prototypes. Doors were open and tourism was a slow that day. I think I was one of 5 people to visit that day. Factory has definitely changed quite a bit after watching the show.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:27 AM
tinkll1 is infamous around these parts
After being alerted by two of the mechanics at Vision Motorsports, I watched the series via YouTube, and then I watched it again, and again and again. Then I resolved to be there, at Station 61, for the "marriage" of body and engine, when my special order metallic midnight blue 911 Turbo S is scheduled for completion on January 12, 2011. In a flight from sanity, I even decided that 5 minutes of viewing, and photographing "my car" at its moment of birth, so to speak, was worth the expense. I've been in the delivery room when each of my 5 children was born, and this will be my 7th and last Porsche. I'm almost 75, and have kept my 993 TT (Andial 3.8 Conversion, 2004) since August 4, 1995 to now (>177,000 miles on odometer + ~3,000 miles when the odometer was being repaired.) It's my daily driver, and my work vehicle, and that's the only way I could afford it. The car needs to be a business expense, and I can't see myself working 12 hour days much beyond 80.

So for the last 3 weeks I've contacted my dealer, PCNA, Porsche.de, sent letters to Matthias Muller, all the Porsches on the Board of Supervisors (Directors), Porsche Touring, Dr. Ferdinand Piech, Dr. Kjell Gruner, spoke with Christian Hoenniger's office.... all told about 53 contacts last told. Crazy, huh?

The entry level contacts are all very polite, and they all want to help. Their job is to placate us crazies, and keep us at our usual fever pitch, fantasizing, then actually putting up the cash to attempt to fulfill those fantasies. However, at the next level, one encounters the need to place only those perfectly machined pistons into the right cylinders. Factory tours resume on January 24, 2011. The employees return from their winter (Christmas) vacation on January 10th. "What you are requesting, a factory tour, is simply impossible! We will show you our museum. We will show you our special collection of cars. We are very, very sorry."

Not a nick in the armor of the official organization. Besides, photos are verboten

I'm exhausted by this effort. PCA, Excellence, you name it, all sympathetic, but powerless. I have a plan, for the future Porsche owners who seek to bond with their cars. I can't believe that I'm the only fanatic in the Porschephile universe.

Porsche uses the "just in time" production scheme which has to be computer operated to get the appropriate supplies to each station. Undoubtedly, there are cameras at work in the system. Taking pictures could be as automated as getting chassis #10 to station #61 in time for the "marriage" to engine #46, for example. An automated camera, taking pictures at a fixed site, tied to an order number, scanned by some lower level employee, who could eliminate the photos of assembly line workers, yawning, or worse, secret cars, etc., and make what's left available to the owners to be. A nominal charge, or knowing Porsche, a not so nominal charge, would assure the most personal remembrance for the owner, if he were so inclined.

I think it would be a fantastic marketing and publicity tool, and stated so to Herr Dr. Kjell Gruner, in a letter resting on someone's desk, in the screening process that keeps you and I on the outside, where some of the more arrogant and least empathetic officials have forgotten that it is just this enthusiasm that butters their bread.

What do you think?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 AM
adan911 is infamous around these partsadan911 is infamous around these parts
Definitively a great show,thanks for sharing it.