996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed LED Tail lights + PowderCoated Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by philooo
So I made all my testing by turning ON and OFF the light switch and all was fine..

But now that I test it with the ignition key in and ready to start (or if the engine is running), my third stop light is turning on ....

Note1: that I have a LED third brake light kit installed, so I wonder if that picks up some low power that is usually in the system but not enough to lit up the blb version or... if I have another short somewhere

Note2: the picture is taken with the lgiht switch on, and the key in the on position. But I do NOT have my foot on the brake pedal.. I am taking the picture

Phil thats what mine look like, is that not right? Also the top of the LEDS never lights up, i think thats also just how they come..

Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM
philooo is infamous around these parts
The third brake light should not lit unless you apply the brakes.

This means there is something that is not right... not sure what is the link, but I don't like to think that something is not under control..

anybody else with those light can chime in and tell us if their third brake light comes up when the engine is running (no brakes applied)..

Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Panteralkn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by philooo
The third brake light should not lit unless you apply the brakes.

This means there is something that is not right... not sure what is the link, but I don't like to think that something is not under control..

anybody else with those light can chime in and tell us if their third brake light comes up when the engine is running (no brakes applied)..
Mine only comes on when i press the brake pedal (plus the key has to be ON)

Old 12-18-2010, 06:30 PM
porsche510 is infamous around these parts
front LED lights on 2002?

Hello Gents,

is it possible to get LED lights installed in the front like the 2009 models have, and where to find them?

- thanks

Old 12-20-2010, 05:07 AM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
Well, installed mine this weekend. Looks fantastic! Got the LED Flasher relay and no warning lights or hyperblinking.

This morning as I am driving into work...the PSM OFF and ABS light up. I guess I need to buy resistors. Where can I find those resistors and how do I hook them up?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM
philooo is infamous around these parts
personally I already removed mine, too many problems with my third brake light and other weird behavior, I was afraid it would mess the car up. this is not engineered right for this car.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 AM
For $300, I think they are well worth it. When I initially purchased them for $575 with the group buy..not worth the headaches.

Simple resistors should fix it. I just need to find out which wires to attach the resistors.

I wonder, since there is an LED relay for the turn signals....is there a plug n play relay we can replace for the brake light?

Last edited by Wheelman; 12-20-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 AM
From another post----
just got a pair of resistors for the brake lights. I did not have the hyperflashing problem either. I did install LED 3rd brake lights as well as the LED taillights, I noticed that their was some voltage bleed through, because when the lights were turned off you could see that the LED's were dimly lit. Also, my cruise control light would come on when I first turned the key to the "On" position along with all the other lights on the bottom of the instrument cluster and went out just like normal. But when I tried turning on the cruise control after the car was running it would not come on. I read in other posts that you need to have some resistance in the circuit, just like the old incandescent bulds did for you to engage the cruise control. I installed one (1) resistor on the brake like circuit on each of the tail lights. This cured the problem of the voltage bleed through, "No more dimly lit 3rd brake light or marker lights on the tail lights" as well giving me back my cruise control.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 AM
the parts i ordered from spectrumled where
Flasher
Item # CF13GL-02

and

Load Equalizer
Item # 6 ohm

Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Did you install a resistor on each tail lamp?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I did (although I don't know that you HAVE too)

Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wheelman
Did you install a resistor on each tail lamp?
lol, wheelsman you have been struggling with those lights for months...just get them, and put in the relay i said to put, and dont plug in the end flat looking signal bulbs and you will be fine

Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 PM
lol Tarek307,

I installed them with the relay but my ABS and PSM lights lit up. So, I am gonna need resistors.
I drove it this morning and had the headlights on and the warning lights came on. I cleared the codes this afternoon and didn't get the warning lights but that maybe because I didn't have the headlights on which would draw current to the tail lights.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Warning lights came on again this morning. I was monitoring it and had my headlights on and strangely enough at 75mph PSM and ABS warning lights lit up. At 75mph, my rear spoiler deploys. Can't wait for the resistors to come in.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Wheelman
Warning lights came on again this morning. I was monitoring it and had my headlights on and strangely enough at 75mph PSM and ABS warning lights lit up. At 75mph, my rear spoiler deploys. Can't wait for the resistors to come in.
Interesting. I'm all systems go. Perhaps no problems because I have a fixed wing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed LED Tail lights + PowderCoated Exhaust Tips