996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Got fister d mufflers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
trisgale is infamous around these parts
Got fister d mufflers

I ordered some fister d's and arrived yesterday. I took my right side muffler off and found out they were modified. There is a weld straight down the middle of my stock mufflers. I wonder what they did? I bought the car used in September at a Porsche dealer so I had no contact with the original owner. When I first got the car my friend said he thought I had a pse because it sounded more aggressive then a stock exhaust. I told him it's stock because I looked under and didn't see any valve etc.
The way the weld goes u can't see it from looking under the car.

Now I gotta wait till I hear from fister because my stocks were supposed to be a core exchange!!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56648875@N03/5230699262/http://www.flickr.com/photos/56648875@N03/5230699262/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/56648875@N03/, on Flickr

Last edited by trisgale; 12-03-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 PM
jwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nice
somebody gutted the internal baffles. you may find the fister sounds similar to what you had, or less aggressive depending on how gutted they are, you might be better off with your old mufflers as they at least had weight removed instead of added to make cool sounds. :-)

Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I think you are right about gutting. I never listened to a stock 996 so I thought mine was the stock sound. Its quiet at idle and crusing but my friend said it had a slight different tone at idle and when it opens up sounds good. No drone at all.

Also I knocked on my mufflers and they sound hollow, where as the fisters still have the dampened solid sound.

I weighed the fister muffler bare (no bracket or tip attached) it weighs ~20lbs and my stock (gutted?) muffler with the bracket attached and tip attached weighs 18lbs.

So I guess I had a nice sporty sound all along but never knew because thats all I ever heard.

I wish I could mount the fisters to hear them live but I don't have any core to give him.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 PM
jwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nicejwhipple is just really nice
you could still have the fister mod done to those and they would be a little more aggressive.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM
pmkazz is infamous around these partspmkazz is infamous around these parts
I have a set of cut and gutted mufflers which we installed on my friends 996. They were done by Hergesheimer MotorSports and as far as I am concerned they are by far the best muffler mod. I would keep the gutted set as IMO they are great..

Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
You should change the title of this thread because it sounds like D Fister did something weird not that your "Stock" mufflers had been altered.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:25 AM
That's what the thread is for. Pretty much explains everything. I don't think anyone would just read a title and come to a conclusion. They would probably read the thread.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:32 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
You should probably not take a job in Public Relations.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I'll keep that in mind...

Anyways, I found some stock mufflers so I put the fisters in to hear the difference, IMHO the Fisters sound way better. I plan on keeping the fisters on. More throaty (sp?) sound and way more aggressive sound on hard acceleration. I shot video on both the gutted and fisters just at idle and some revs on my I phone.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Great to hear! I just got my Fister D's yesterday and can't wait to put them on. Unfortunately, the outside temperature is now in the low 30's so I'm going to have to find a shop to do the job or wait until spring. I went to a local muffler shop and he said we would use a torch to remove the old ones. I said "No thanks" and left.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:36 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Uh...

Originally Posted by wyovino
You should probably not take a job in Public Relations.
^^^

Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by wyovino
Great to hear! I just got my Fister D's yesterday and can't wait to put them on. Unfortunately, the outside temperature is now in the low 30's so I'm going to have to find a shop to do the job or wait until spring. I went to a local muffler shop and he said we would use a torch to remove the old ones. I said "No thanks" and left.
You won't be disappointed, low 30's I would wait too. If u give it a shot, the removal and install is pretty easy. A renntech thread walked me through it, you don't have to remove the rear bumper cover. Removing the rear wheel makes easier access to the muffler bolts. Good luck!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 PM
01P996C2 is infamous around these parts
Easy install with the wheels off, I got the Fisters two years ago and get nothing but compliments at every autoX or DE I go to. The sound is perfect for the 996, good luck with yours.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:53 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Fister mod is a must

If you want better sound and no drone and want to save a couple of bucks it is great.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Shot this off my IPhone so quality is not so great but here a little comparison
fister and gutted mufflers

Last edited by trisgale; 12-05-2010 at 09:43 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got fister d mufflers