996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Will the navigation work in a non navi model? If so what is needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
Will the navigation work in a non navi model? If so what is needed?

I have a guy wanting to sell me a navi system for my 4s. He said he will sell me the screen and the modular for a grand. Is there anything else I will need?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
What PCM is it? PCM1 very very old. Not worh it. PCM2 (CD based "new" cds from 2008 are $300ish) is a most (plastic fiber optic) system and would be a pain to install. No idea about the PCM3 DVD system.
For $1000 I would go after market.
I have the PCM2 and it works pretty good but maps are going to be harder harder to find.

Last edited by function12; 12-06-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 PM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
I don't know what model it is. I called another company wanting an aftermarket unit. The guy said I will need a new amp for my car and all this other junk saying it will coast me over 3 grand for an aftermarket unit. I have a 2004 carrera 4s. What will I need? The aftermarket unit I am looking at comes with the antenna. We just couldn't locate a filler plate for the gap that it would make in the dash. I really appreciate all your help!!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
I installed a 7" touch screen connected to a miniature PC. Check out MP3Car.com for some install ideas...

Fits perfect in the double din area.

Then you get movies, mp3s, Durametic hook up, GPS, any apps you want... even wifi or internet with iPhone tethering!

You could do the setup for $1000 easy.

What I did was took two plates, one above the other. The motherboard was on the top "level" and the smart power supply and hard drive were on the bottom level. I'd go with a newer solid state drive. This was all installed behind the touch screen and screwed into the mount holes that are there for the double din NAV. There is loads of room in there.

New maps come out, just run an update. Works great... Plus I customized the Windows XP bootup to have a Porsche logo so it looks OEM on start-up. Goes into hibernation when you turn off the key and resumes when you start-up.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah that's basically what I want to do. I found a nice indash that fits my car. It has DVD/mp3/and navi. Do I need a different amp or anything to convert it all? Also what did u do with ur heat controls?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
I used the factory amp no problem. The heater controls move down to the lower console area, there is loads of wire there to do it.

It goes where the cd holder or storage bin is.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I found the head unit I want. its a kenwood. but, idk what wire harness i will need to plug into the bose amp to make it work. do you know what harness you had to use? Do we need that 600 dollar fiber optic cable like the 997 models need?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I didn't use such a cable...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Find your amp should be in the front boot. If you see two orange cables coming out of it then you have the Most system (plastic fiber). If you have the most system then I believe you will need a new amp but I could be wrong. Most head unit do have a built in amp that will work for a while until you want to upgrade again. Do a search for Nav installs here, renlist, and renntech. This have been done many many times. I think there is a guy on ebay that makes custom wiring harness that are plug and play.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Panteralkn is infamous around these parts
yes you will need a new amp (assuming you want the extra power and that you have the MOST system). Many on here have just wired from the new HU directly to the speakers. I chose the AVZ120bt and a JL 6 channel amp. I did the install myself and ebay'd the two main items. My install was about 1200.00 total.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
You have MOST. So your stock amp is not compatible with aftermarket HU.

Best bet is to get aftermarket HU and an amp that doesn't take up too much of your trunk. Best to get it done by a pro stereo shop. If you go this route, get BT and MP3 and maybe even rear camera / XM options.

IMO, I prefer the portable navigation. Even the phone GPS is quite advanced these days.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Hey how ya doing! it's been a while.
Looks like we're trying to do the same mod, I was hoping to find the answer here!!!

Like you, I've not been able to find anything below 3K, if it is then by the time you include a realistic pro install you're back at...3K
and honestly a lot of the time you get one custom job done, they scratch, dent or nick something else

Right now I use my iphone or ipad so I think I'm just going to make a custom "stealth" bracket and install (snap lock) my ipad... it's got satellite nav. and the screen is the perfect size to fit the console.

What do ya think?!

Cheers,

Sid.