996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cheapest place to buy an aero bumper (front)? Rear spats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Banned
Diablo360 is infamous around these parts
Cheapest place to buy an aero bumper (front)? Rear spats?

Hey everyone, I tried the search and couldn't find anything specific on this topic. I'm looking for an MK1 aero bumper (front). I called a few parts dealers and it seems like the retail on these bad boys is near $2k. Does that sound right to you guys? Wow, that's expensive for a bumper cover........ I was wondering if anybody knew of any other resources where I could score a bumper at a discount? I called a few Porsche dismantlers and it looks like used bumper covers in good condition are going for around $1k. So at this point that seems like my best bet. I just wanted to check to see if there were any other obvious sources or options that I'm overlooking.

I'm dead set on this bumper because I've always loved the look. And the previous owner of my newly acquired 996 added the aero sideskirts and the wing, but not the front bumper. The bumper completes the look of the car so it's a must........

Also I was wondering if the aero rears side spats (if they're called that) were standard on all MK1 aero cars? I've seen a lot of 99-01 996's without the rear spats...... And while I'm on the subject, what do you guys think about them? Should I add them or just do the bumper?

Thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 03:21 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
I have this Aero Lip for sale that goes over the stock front bumper. Send me an email if you are interested

fly996@gmail.com

Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 AM
Banned
Diablo360 is infamous around these parts
Hey, thanks for the heads up on your kit for sale. I was also considering the GT Tek front lip, which is similar to yours, but I prefer the seamless design of the original aero bumper.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I found mine a few years ago on eBay for $690. The seller said it was "mint" but it actually needed repainting.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
If that fit the turbo bumper I would def pick that up from you!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
$1k is about the avg going price for mk1 used bumper in decent condition.

See if you can locate one that has the same paint as yours to save on painting costs.

As for rear spats, it is a personal aesthetic decision on whether to get them or not. Personally, I think Porsche did a poor job in the way the rear spats meet up with the rear horizontal bumper line.

The GT3 tek rear apron is a much better option IMHO if you aren't a purist. my $.02

Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
Wow.... 1k used?

Several months back I got a factory Porsche Aero bumper for a 2001 (mk1) for under 800$.
Brand new still in factory box, primered. I think it was from suncoast, or sunset.. I always get confused with them, but was the one in Oregon that advertises as Porsche Parts at cost.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:04 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uberpoop
Wow.... 1k used?

Several months back I got a factory Porsche Aero bumper for a 2001 (mk1) for under 800$.
Brand new still in factory box, primered. I think it was from suncoast, or sunset.. I always get confused with them, but was the one in Oregon that advertises as Porsche Parts at cost.
This must have been "several months back" as both Sunset and Suncoast has never had them that cheap(or available at times) in recent memory.

Suncoast currently has the Cabrio mk1 kit for $5800. IIRC the mk1 coupe kit when they had it on their site was close to $7k.

FWIW, Suncoast(as Porsche in general) has increased their prices quite a bit across the board on 996 parts in the past few years. I've noticed 40-50% increases on certain parts like GT3 sways, control arms, some body parts, etc.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Check out LA Porsche dismantlers. Usually have the lowest prices on used Porsche parts, but it's hit or miss what they have on a daily basis.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alpine003
This must have been "several months back" as both Sunset and Suncoast has never had them that cheap(or available at times) in recent memory.

Suncoast currently has the Cabrio mk1 kit for $5800. IIRC the mk1 coupe kit when they had it on their site was close to $7k.

FWIW, Suncoast(as Porsche in general) has increased their prices quite a bit across the board on 996 parts in the past few years. I've noticed 40-50% increases on certain parts like GT3 sways, control arms, some body parts, etc.
It was probably June or July when I purchased... and it was just the front bumper, not the full kit at that price.
But glad to know prices have gone up. Maybe I should sell it

Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by uberpoop
It was probably June or July when I purchased... and it was just the front bumper, not the full kit at that price.
But glad to know prices have gone up. Maybe I should sell it
You sure you didn't get some pricing error? That pricing is what a normal non-GT3 bumper primed should be going for. I inquired in March of this year and was quoted $1764 from Suncoast.

Auto Atlanta has them listed for close to $1700 and Pelican parts around $1700 too.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...716-post8.html

http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.ph..._number=334047

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...y%3C%2Ffont%3E

I think you got lucky my friend.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Check out LA Porsche dismantlers. Usually have the lowest prices on used Porsche parts, but it's hit or miss what they have on a daily basis.
Not always. Both their service and their prices are hit and miss based on experience.