996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How is Costco Wholesale GAS???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 PM
driver1712 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
Both of you let me get this clear it seems like you're not understanding me. As you have read above all gas comes from the same tank. The difference is the additives each company adds... So it's NOT skimping if it comes in the same tank or supplier. Just want to know why pay more to get the same gas? Is it the Techron or Nitrogen is a plus? If skimp was the issue I would be talking about 87 octane in my tank. Are we clear?
then maybe you should rephrase your first post. you're posting how it's 25 cents cheaper and so on...
you shoulda just said "how's the quality of costco gas vs. others" and NOT post any prices up.

cuz by posting prices and saying how costco is cheaper by 25 cents then you're being skimpy

skimp/skimp/
Verb: Expend or use less time, money, or material on something than is necessary in an attempt to economize: "don't skimp on insurance"

Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I did not say that there is something wrong with costco gas. Call me crazy but I only fill in chevron/shell that too " newer" looking stations where the storage tanks have lesser chances of collecting dirt, dust or grime. I keep cars for a long time hence there is a method to my madness. Most people trade cars every 3 to 5 yrs and if I were to do that, then costco would be where I would go to.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Nine_Eleven is infamous around these parts
driver1712 cool story man. I pumped at Costco already. All good. Thanks for the skimp definition looks like something you are very familiar with.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
Hhhhmmmm!!! Guess I'm skimpy too. I drive a 2004 996 instead of a brand new 997.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:48 PM
And it's a cabriolet...

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
Thanks, you know I never noticed that I mispelled it!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
I just bought $65 worth of the Costco stuff to fill up my wife's SUV. It makes the engine run, so I'm okay with it

Old 12-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
If you guys have doubt; why not send it to a independent lab and have it tested against chevron/shell?

I run costco & sam's club gas in all my cars, why you may ask? My brother's father in law use to own a gas station, so one day I asked him about the different brands and he told me everyone gets it from the same place and rebadges it to there brand...plain & simple.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Optical TDI is infamous around these parts
The Costco near me has 10% ethanol. That's not good is it?

Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Optical TDI
The Costco near me has 10% ethanol. That's not good is it?
^

E85 is 85% ethanol based.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:15 PM
I just pumped Arco/BP same thing as Chevron.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
We all know all gas comes from the same major supplier. We all know it's the same gas until the retailers add their additives specialty. we all know it's NOT skimping it's finding out why the other retailers cost more than others...we all know skimping isn't the issue.... Now back on topic.
I'm just quoting you to show a point here, so don't take this directed at you.

Where do the suppliers add the additives?

Supply chain for gas: Refinery to tanks. Then tankers to a holding station. Then tankers to a retailer. Where do people think the additives get added? At the holding station? In the tankers? I don't understand how people can think somehow after it leaves a refinery, gas somehow has additives added.

The gas you buy comes from a refinery as-is. There are 3 companies operating refineries in this country. There are several companies importing gas on tankers into the country. Once gas leaves the refinery, it's done.

If you'd like to understand my credentials in this area, please visit http://energy.ihs.com/. On a daily basis, here's a sampling of the companies that I serve:
Hess
Chevron
ExxonMobil
Lukoil
BHI
Chesapeake
XTO (now a part of ExxonMobil)

That's just a sampling. Most of the super-majors in the oil industry as they're called in my company are direct customers of my group.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I'm just quoting you to show a point here, so don't take this directed at you.

Where do the suppliers add the additives?

Supply chain for gas: Refinery to tanks. Then tankers to a holding station. Then tankers to a retailer. Where do people think the additives get added? At the holding station? In the tankers? I don't understand how people can think somehow after it leaves a refinery, gas somehow has additives added.

The gas you buy comes from a refinery as-is. There are 3 companies operating refineries in this country. There are several companies importing gas on tankers into the country. Once gas leaves the refinery, it's done.

If you'd like to understand my credentials in this area, please visit http://energy.ihs.com/. On a daily basis, here's a sampling of the companies that I serve:
Hess
Chevron
ExxonMobil
Lukoil
BHI
Chesapeake
XTO (now a part of ExxonMobil)

That's just a sampling. Most of the super-majors in the oil industry as they're called in my company are direct customers of my group.
Interesting. Thanks for enlightening us on this. Then what are the differences in the three major refineries, if this is indeed where the additives are added?

Old 12-19-2010, 11:17 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Interesting. Thanks for enlightening us on this. Then what are the differences in the three major refineries, if this is indeed where the additives are added?
The difference is in the blending done at each refinery. They each choose which chemicals to add to the end product they produce. That varies depending on a lot of things. This is a good page from a customer site highlighting how they do it:
http://www.innospecinc.com/choose-yo.../americas.html

Thinking that buying gas from the same company year-round or even one fill-up to the next means you get the same gas is just wrong. They go towards a consistent formula, but it's never the same. You could get a tank of gas that has been under not-so-ideal storage conditions and has a "bad" blend of additives resulting in poor performance, but the next time at the same station you could get an "ideal" tank of gas.

At the end of the day, it's just gas and it's more prone to personal preference and mythology than anything. It's gas. Buy from your local no-name station that's cheaper than others and you're just as likely to get the same product as something branded with a major name. In fact you could get a "better" tank of gas than your local named station.

EDIT: And if you read that page from the link I provided, and understand everything they're saying, then either you're a genius or a petrochemical engineer. I deal with people like that all the time and honestly, what they do is above my head.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 12-19-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't wanna lose my 10hp advantage with Shell "V-Power" so who else has the equivalent "secret formulation"?

Anyone know who else uses the same gas as 7-Eleven?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How is Costco Wholesale GAS???