996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How is Costco Wholesale GAS???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
teflon_jones, great info man...you really dug it up.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
The difference is in the blending done at each refinery. They each choose which chemicals to add to the end product they produce. That varies depending on a lot of things. This is a good page from a customer site highlighting how they do it:
http://www.innospecinc.com/choose-yo.../americas.html

Thinking that buying gas from the same company year-round or even one fill-up to the next means you get the same gas is just wrong. They go towards a consistent formula, but it's never the same. You could get a tank of gas that has been under not-so-ideal storage conditions and has a "bad" blend of additives resulting in poor performance, but the next time at the same station you could get an "ideal" tank of gas.

At the end of the day, it's just gas and it's more prone to personal preference and mythology than anything. It's gas. Buy from your local no-name station that's cheaper than others and you're just as likely to get the same product as something branded with a major name. In fact you could get a "better" tank of gas than your local named station.

EDIT: And if you read that page from the link I provided, and understand everything they're saying, then either you're a genius or a petrochemical engineer. I deal with people like that all the time and honestly, what they do is above my head.
great info. thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I drive a Nissan... I skimp everyday.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I drive a Nissan... I skimp everyday.
I drive a G-wagen or 911 Turbo depending on the day of the week and I skimp too.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
teflon_jones, great info man...you really dug it up.
Originally Posted by Enilder
great info. thanks!
Thanks, too much bad info out there. If anybody here ever has any questions about the petroleum industry, then I'll be happy to help. I'm just waiting for the idiot that tells me I don't know what I'm talking about!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
You don't know what you're talking about.

(I just want to see what happens)

Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
simoncpj is infamous around these parts
Thanks Teflon

Sounds like the only difference in source is amount of detergent. Then quality attributable to supply chain (e.g. mixing in diesel or sediment) is a crap shoot depending on each link of the supply chain.

Now I just need to drive to another state to buy it as CA seems to tax me for everything I do or don't do.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:16 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I drive a G-wagen or 911 Turbo depending on the day of the week and I skimp too.
Nothing wrong with skimpin(being cheap, lol).

I use Wal-Mart Synthetic Super Tech oil on my car and my IMS loves it!

Seriously though,

If anybody here ever has any questions about the petroleum industry, then I'll be happy to help.
teflon, do you have any insight as to why BP no longer has the port on the fuel pump that shows that gas being clear?

I remember in the 90's, BP launched a marketing campaign that showed the "clear" choice was in their gas and during that time, all the fuel pumps had a clear window on it so you can see the clear gas flowing through it. This didn't last too long IIRC.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I missed the replies to this thread until now with the holidays and all...

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
You don't know what you're talking about.

(I just want to see what happens)
<teflon gets Remington 870 from closet and racks shell>
What's your address Jasper?

Originally Posted by simoncpj
Thanks Teflon

Sounds like the only difference in source is amount of detergent. Then quality attributable to supply chain (e.g. mixing in diesel or sediment) is a crap shoot depending on each link of the supply chain.
Yup, basically. There's a lot more additives than detergents though. Stabilizers, octane boosters, all sorts of things.

Originally Posted by alpine003
Seriously though,

teflon, do you have any insight as to why BP no longer has the port on the fuel pump that shows that gas being clear?

I remember in the 90's, BP launched a marketing campaign that showed the "clear" choice was in their gas and during that time, all the fuel pumps had a clear window on it so you can see the clear gas flowing through it. This didn't last too long IIRC.
This isn't my area of expertise, but I think it was a safety item.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Well, thanks to this thread, I've been filling up more frequently at Costco. 91 is about 7 cents cheaper a gallon than most, and even more than Shell and Chevron. I typically add my own Techron every 3-5K miles anyway, so I don't see a need to pay the premium for that. Thanks teflon!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
When I got my turbo I got a 76 card. It's worth their reputation to pay a little more for good gas. IMO . its a porsche!!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mod mike
When I got my turbo I got a 76 card. It's worth their reputation to pay a little more for good gas. IMO . its a porsche!!
I used a Shell Mastercard for about 6 years. Pretty good on the gas rebates. Never missed a payment. I was late with one payment (due to them not sending me a statement), they charged me a late fee, I closed my account. Now I REALLY have no reason to go to Shell anymore.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
That sucks. I am so **** with my bills , I pay my gas card in advance.... try online bill pay, i just switched

Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by mod mike
That sucks. I am so **** with my bills , I pay my gas card in advance.... try online bill pay, i just switched
Nah. I'm done with them. I don't need that BS. I've had an AmEx since 1994 and it has served me well. Only card I need and none of that late fee/interest BS.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Nah. I'm done with them. I don't need that BS. I've had an AmEx since 1994 and it has served me well. Only card I need and none of that late fee/interest BS.
X2, plus I love their tiered cash back structure of 3%, 2% and 1%. Really adds up quite quickly over time versus the cards that only have the 1% and 0.5% cashback. In addition, this allows me flexibility to get gas anywhere.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How is Costco Wholesale GAS???