996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What do I need to install an AMP and SUB to my factory 210CD player?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Nine_Eleven is infamous around these parts

I have my sub and amp laying around here from my old car. I want to install it.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
You will have to remove the stock Bose amp. You will have to cut the wires for the speakers and wire them into your amp. I would get another amp also with a set of Y wires and use two amps. One for the highs and one for the subs. The 6 stock highs are going to draw a lot of watts. Did you think about picking up the stock Bose subs? I have them in mine and it looks clean and also sounds really good!! I just did a double din and the speakers sound even better now. They are so crisp. Just a thought if you are open to other routes. Either way I am sure it will all come out nice!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
This is a headache in the Porsche! make sure you get in professionally done and dont listen to anyone here unless they FOR SURE know what they are talking about

Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
Tarek is right. It is a pain. I had all the print ups for my screen and everything and I found myself figuring a lot of it out on my own. Was worth the time though. Also was nice to save the money on the install. Your situation will be much easier though. Your not trying to switch out the deck. That and the reverse camera was the two hardest parts. If you have done an amp and sub install before you will be able to do this. Once you figure out the wire diagram its like hooking up an amp in any car. Pm me if you need the wire colors for the speakers.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM
*Additional Info*

I'm only trying to wire the sub to the amp. I'm not going to wire the rest of the car speakers to the amp. Just the sub.

Sorry for not making it clear. Will this be easier way?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Ohhh I am sorry I miss understood you. As for powering the amp that will still be the same. You will have to get one of those little wire connectors that let you connect a wire to an existing wire. They are usually red and have a metal prong in them. Sorry I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head. You will have to tap into the blue wire going into your stock amp. That is the remote wire. You will also need the box I was explaining that will let you run RCA wires. Run the power wire to the battery. Ground wire to a ground source. I used the bolt for the stock amp holder. Then run speaker wires back the the subs. Its a simple install. Its really no different that running subs in any other car. Except for the remote wire. Go to your local radio store and tell them you want to hook up a amp and sub to your stock deck. They will provide that box for the RCA wires I am talking about. I gave you my number if you need anything don't hesitate to call me.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks PoRsChE_ShIfTiN

So....basically I will need the following:

Red cable = for power ( to the battery)
Blue cable = for remote (tap to the factory amp)
Black cable = for ground (amp bolt ground)

Few Q's:

By saying this "You will have to tap into the blue wire going into your stock amp" Does this mean it will skip me hooking it up in the back of the factory stereo, works the same?

Where can I get the RCA converter so I can hook up to the back of the factory deck?
I've seen it some where here. It looks like a harness that plugs into the back then the other end are RCA to the amp. Correct?

Old 12-24-2010, 05:52 AM
yes, you will just run it into the wire going into your amp. You could run it to the deck but, no need to run it through the fire wall when your new amp will be right next to your old amp.

As for the converter you can get it at your local radio shop. Just go to any place that does automotive speaker installs.

The power wire can come in different colors. I said red because that is the most common color. When you go to get the converter just tell them you need a amp wiring kit. They will give you everything you need. The power and ground wires will be really thick. The remote will be a little blue wire and the RCA's will have plugs on the end of them.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Also when you go to run your speaker wires through the firewall I suggest using the rubber garment right behind the battery. It leads right to your pedals. Just drill a small hole in it and fish the wires through it. That is the easiest way to go.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:22 AM
Do you have a picture of what cdr210 look like in the back?

So I need a wire that has the end that fits to the back of the radio and the other end of the wire with RCA to connect to the amp??

Seems pretty easy, also got any link how to remove the radio? I'll do research tomorrow. Thanks

Old 12-25-2010, 03:45 PM
I found this. I think it connects to the back then the RCA to the amp. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:26 PM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN

Let me rephrase it again I'm kind of confused.

I have the CDR-210 with my factory Porsche amp.

I also have an aftermarket amp and sub.

I want to keep the CDR-210 and factory amp alone.

I just want to install an aftermarket amp to power my aftermarket sub.

I don't want to touch the factory car speakers wires. I'll leave them alone.

I already have the amp wire kit.

I only need the wire that connects to the back of CDR-210 to connect to my aftermarket amp. (RCA on the other end)

Is this something that will work?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
I'm not sure about the connecter that you posted.

However, I just installed a sub and amp in my car and used the rear speakers as the source of sound for the sub. The sub I installed (Kenwood KSC SW1) has the ability to use speaker level inputs as well as RCA. If your amp only has RCA then tap the speaker wires and use a speaker/RCA converter.

If your amp is going to be installed in the trunk then I expect you could tap the speaker wires coming out of the factory amp.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks very helpful. I just found out about the line out converter. I'll hook it up today and maybe post a diy. To help people out that's interested in doing this.

Last edited by Nine_Eleven; 12-27-2010 at 01:46 PM.