996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

4S-Rodents--WTF!!!$$$$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
4S-Rodents--WTF!!!$$$$

Took my ride into the dealer for the check engine light and was informed at 4:30pm that rodents have been eating away at several harness located in the engine compartment. WTF! Harness has to be made in Germany (2 months min) and shipped over to U.S) Engine has to be dropped...Service advisor said auto insurance should cover this, I hope. Anyone experience this. Feel so alone and about to hit a 12 pack....

Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
No,... no rodents where I live can get inside my engine bay WTF? Besides wouldn't they burn by the engine case and wires etc?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
I hear you

You would think so. I heard it's better to have rat traps instead of the poison because once they eat the poison, they will search far and near for H20! Just a freak thing..It's not like we live in the woods or jungle. Condo complex.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Had that in my Touareg.

I've heard of cars written off due to this as the repair costs were $15k plus.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 PM
ericyingling is infamous around these parts
What a nightmare.

Does your car sit for long periods of time without being driven?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:54 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow The...

...insurance will cover it...

The Germans should really work on producing unpalatable harnesses...

My BBS wheels are FS here:
18" BBS RS-GTs (600 miles from new)

Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Rodents look for warmth in the colder months. What better place than the engine bay of a just driven car? Got rats a plenty around here. Never park out in the open in the driveway. So far, so good.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Had this issue in my E36 M3. My mech found a used harness at a salvage yard.

If my car sits for long periods of time I enclose my car in a Rhino pocket which are said to be rodent proof....

Jason

Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Rhino Packet

Originally Posted by JEllis
Had this issue in my E36 M3. My mech found a used harness at a salvage yard.

If my car sits for long periods of time I enclose my car in a Rhino pocket which are said to be rodent proof....

Jason
The car is driven at least once a week. The longest it will sit is maybe 2 weeks. I might have to look into this Rhino pocket or something similar. How much do these run$
So far the dealer has quoted $13K but may go up once the engine is dropped. I don't think dealers can use a harness off a salvaged 911, part must be new. (2 month wait from Germany--To be made) For the insurance company to write it off wouldn't the cost have to exceed the blue book value?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for your responses and support! I thought I was alone until I read some of your post, and positive responses. Good support group!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
I have the same problem in my Titan which is parked outside..damn rats made a nest next to the manifold...PITA...to remove the twigs & leaves...one got BBQ..sick

Old 12-23-2010, 10:06 AM
ubiquitous is infamous around these parts
funny this was mentioned, a friend had this happen to his mercedes. Cost 10k for repair.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Am I obligated to Dealer to have them correct my problem???Help

Am I obligated to this dealership to have them correct my current mess? Do most auto insurances want an authorized dealership to work on the cars, even with inflated $$$$$? Thanks again! If anyone has any suggestions or shops they can suggest I would be very appreciative. Thanks again..

Last edited by 911C4S; 12-24-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-24-2010, 11:51 PM
ericyingling is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911C4S
Am I obligated to this dealership to have them correct my current mess? Do most auto insurances want an authorized dealership to work on the cars, even with inflated $$$$$? Thanks again! If anyone has any suggestions or shops they can suggest I would be very appreciative. Thanks again..
Do you have an aftermarket warranty?

You should be able to take your car anywhere you want, predicated on the terms of your warranty. When I still had an aftermarket warranty, I had repairs done at a dealer AND at an independent shop...totally at my discretion.

But if its under warranty, and you are only out your deductible, then why not have the dealer fix it? Unless I am missing something.

Also, you should check out the following independent shops: Scientific Automotive in Pasadena (went there for years when I lived in the area but have not lived in the area since 1992), and Callas Rennsport in Torrance. Callas was good to me from 03 to 04, when I moved away. If I still lived in the south bay area, I would still be patronizing Callas Rennsport. Tony and Tom (at Callas) were not happy to deal with my warranty company, but they always did this for me.

Last edited by ericyingling; 12-24-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more info.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Warranty

Originally Posted by ericyingling
Do you have an aftermarket warranty?

You should be able to take your car anywhere you want, predicated on the terms of your warranty. When I still had an aftermarket warranty, I had repairs done at a dealer AND at an independent shop...totally at my discretion.

But if its under warranty, and you are only out your deductible, then why not have the dealer fix it? Unless I am missing something.

Also, you should check out the following independent shops: Scientific Automotive in Pasadena (went there for years when I lived in the area but have not lived in the area since 1992), and Callas Rennsport in Torrance. Callas was good to me from 03 to 04, when I moved away. If I still lived in the south bay area, I would still be patronizing Callas Rennsport. Tony and Tom (at Callas) were not happy to deal with my warranty company, but they always did this for me.
Yes I have an extended warranty, but unfortunately it doesn't cover rodents eating away at my harness. Most likely my auto insurance will pay for the fix.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.