996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Muffler mod/ hack, PSE opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
Muffler mod/ hack, PSE opinion

i just completed the muffler hack on my car. Added a 2" pipe similar to porsche factory sport exhaust and have to say I'm a little underwhelmed. I don't think it sounds bad but the difference between stock and this is small in my opinion. However, my tast in mufflers has been honed on big american V8's so your opinion may differ.

I will be adding another pipe between the muffler inlet and outlet to see if that gets the sound I want.

With this in mind if any one wants my modified mufflers I will be selling them soon (after another set arrives and I modify those).

Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
sounds like you're driving a 99-01 then. with the MK1 996's you have to do a bypass from mufflet inlet to outlet, with the MK2 996's you can do it PSE style by cutting off those caps half way and using a 90*degree bend pipe

Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by split
sounds like you're driving a 99-01 then. with the MK1 996's you have to do a bypass from mufflet inlet to outlet, with the MK2 996's you can do it PSE style by cutting off those caps half way and using a 90*degree bend pipe
I've tried the "cutting caps off" method on 3.6 aka mk2 cans. It's stilll not that loud. I'd do a inlet to outlet mod. A 2" connecting pipe might be too much...a 1.75 worked perfectly well.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
^ i'm currently driving a 2002 with fabspeed muffler bypass and I was planning on doing that method. Now i'm starting to wonder if it'll just be way too quiet.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM
kent996 is infamous around these parts
PSE hack is about 30% louder than stock,still too quiet, and muffler bypass is 400% louder, thats too loud, so i choose the muffler in between, which is either a fabspeed supercup or Afterhours.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
Indeed, 2000 996. Didn't realize that made a difference- even after reading 100 threads. Thanks for tip and that's my plan so will report back soon.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
if you want robust sound, go with what sharkwerks offers.

pse hack is just slightly louder. it's cheap to do though.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Much better!!!!!!!
I welded a 1 5/8" pipe between the muffler inlet and outlet and the sound is PERFECT!!
No increase in idle noise and not much of anything below 3K but then progressively louder until about 6K when it howls.
I can't imagine justifying the money for aftermarket mufflers with this $100 option. Do it!! I've got a set of mufflers on the way and will modify those and sell them for any interested.
Below is link that i followed to modify mine.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-question.html