996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Bolster leather taking a beating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Bolster leather taking a beating

The bolster on the driver's seat gets all the abuse from getting in and out. The leather is cracking and seems to be thin. I tried leather conditioner but I think it was much too late. What are he options? It seems like it would be a pretty common issue.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned
Diablo360 is infamous around these parts
Well, the most cost effective option would be to have the area re-dyed bye a professional. It shouldn't cost that much (maybe $100 or so) and is a much better option than replacing the seat covers..... Depending on who you take it to they may either want to re-dye the entire seat, or the bolster. It depends on their level of experience and how confident they are that they can match the color. Also maybe try finding a used drivers seat in good condition. I'm assuming you have the full leather package and not the leatherette, correct? I've seen good condition seats on Ebay for less than $500/piece, and even less for leatherette seats.

After you get it fixed, keep in mind that rubbing on the bolster = wear and tear. If you enter and exit at a certain angle (usually holding onto other parts of the car for grip), you can avoid rubbing on the bolster..... I'm pretty small (5' 8" and not fat) so it's easy for me, but if I was any bigger I would imagine that it would be much more difficult..... I know this seems like borderline OCD behavior, but think of it as any other thing you do on a daily basis to keep your car in tip top condition (not eating inside, not smoking, not parking in tight spots, etc.).

Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned
Diablo360 is infamous around these parts
Also if you don't mind shelling out some extra $$$, it may be a great time to upgrade to gt3 seats (the Recaro version would be more or course), or sport seats (oem). I have seen pairs in good condition go for around $1k or so.