996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Airbag warning light - fault 31

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
tcleaver is infamous around these parts
Airbag warning light - fault 31

The airbag light came on this week on my '99 996. Durametric says it is fault code 31 - ignition circuit, side airbag, passenger.
I tried to clear the fault with Durametric. The light does go off but comes back on after a few seconds.
Is this something i can correct or does it need to be done by the dealer?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:04 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tcleaver
The airbag light came on this week on my '99 996. Durametric says it is fault code 31 - ignition circuit, side airbag, passenger.
I tried to clear the fault with Durametric. The light does go off but comes back on after a few seconds.
Is this something i can correct or does it need to be done by the dealer?
I would probably let dealer troubleshoot that one.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 PM
ericyingling is infamous around these parts
I had that happen too. My indy replaced the driver's side seatbelt receiver... that was 5 years ago and the light hasn't come on since then.

They said that this was a common issue.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ericyingling
I had that happen too. My indy replaced the driver's side seatbelt receiver... that was 5 years ago and the light hasn't come on since then.

They said that this was a common issue.
Yup. it is a common issue. had the same fault with mine. it seems the orginal setup rusted out over time. the new ones have gold contacts.
if you need the part numbers, pm me and i will post them.

JB

Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks. So is the seat-belt receiver the same as the seat-belt recepticle/buckle?
The part number i found for the passenger one is 996.803.183.10-M100. Is this what would need to be replaced?
Thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 PM
ericyingling is infamous around these parts
Yes. Typically driver's side. Once you correct it, you shouldn't have to deal with it again.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Thanks. So is the seat-belt receiver the same as the seat-belt recepticle/buckle?
The part number i found for the passenger one is 996.803.183.10-M100. Is this what would need to be replaced?
Thanks
you will also need the wiring harness: 996 613 219 10

it is generally recommended that you replace both sides at the same time. otherwise, the fault will come back soon.

the whole thing is a design fault. which we eat.

if your car is less than 2 yrs out from a CPO you may be able to get PCNA to pay for it.

JB

Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Tmainevent is infamous around these parts
Ditto to the drivers side seat belt buckle...73 bucks and 30 mins and I was back in action!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the info.
Both of my seats were actually replaced a few months ago and while they were not new they were in excellent condition. They certainly looked new. However the harness is most likely the original one, so almost 14 years old.
Does this error only occur with a faulty seatbelt receptical or could it be the connection to the harness under the seat?
Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the info.
Both of my seats were actually replaced a few months ago and while they were not new they were in excellent condition. They certainly looked new. However the harness is most likely the original one, so almost 14 years old.
Does this error only occur with a faulty seatbelt receptical or could it be the connection to the harness under the seat?
Thanks
Yes

Specifically, my wrench said that it is the connection between the wiring harness and belt receptacle which corrodes. that is the rationale for replacing both. It seems to be a time intensive job. try to find a DIY on rennlist.com

JB

Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
I have never replaced the harness, just the recepticle in the hundred or so I have probably done in the last 5 years, and have never had one come back with the fault again. IMHO, just start with the buckle since it is cheap and easy to replace. Also, i have seen far more passenger side fail than drivers. I have never been able to figure that one out.