996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

A 996 is just not for me .... right now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Must be born with it like you said. When I was a kid the only car poster on my wall was of a Porsche Turbo. I did not come from a wealthy family, but I told everyone that I would own one of those someday. I did cry the day I bought it. I also just stand in the garage sometimes and stare at it like I'm looking at a Michelangelo or something. It's also funny us "Porsche People" always wave at each other, or flash our lights, or get a thumbs up. That's just cool! Some of the rich guys don't bother though. They take it for granted I think. LOL I love my Porsche and she is here to stay. "There is no substitute"

Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
Everyone has said it well... guys like this keep enthusiasts behind the wheel... I hate that every one including wives, step dad's and sisters drive corvettes, stangs and camaros... I feel special everytime i pull next to one at a light! Not everyone has the ***** to own one.

The IMS issues for the 996 is what drove me here!! found an older 996 and negotiated the hell out of it because maintenance wasnt done on it.. absolutely no paper work on it!

Paid 12k for a beautifully ( paint/interior)kept 99 with 65k miles, pulled the engine out and cm,pletely rebuilt it ground up(all LNE hardware and ARP stud and bearing bolts). now im in 18k for a car that i know the history of.. I feel no worries at all driving the **** out of it!

Cheers Posers!!

Last edited by scantu; 09-22-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
I really believe that there is quite a bit of Gorilla marketing that goes on all three major Porsche forums. It's like terrorism about the IMS and if that's what is scaring you, don't let it.

I don't believe half of the BS stories on the forums. I think it's vendors trying to scare 996 owners into buying products and services.

The 996 is a great car. If you concerned about theft have a tracking system installed. I have Defense on my car and can log into Google Maps and see a dot of where it is, amazing!!!

Find a nice 40 to 50k mile 996, take it to a Porshe Dealer and have a PPI done. Do all the scheduled maintenance, change the oil and don't look back. Most importantly buy a service contract/warranty. I did and I don't worry, I enjoy it!!!!

If you don't do this now You Will Regret It!!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
Although most of you have already expressed my feelings, I just couldn't not respond to this. I have been driving my ’02 everyday for the past year and a half or so, with no major issues. I bought the car with an aftermarket warranty to cover and unexpected repairs, and pay a $300 deductible if anything goes wrong. I can take the car to the dealer for any repair with 100% certainty issues will be addressed correctly.

Maintenance is going to be a bit more pricey for most of your consumables (brakes, tires, etc.) but otherwise the overall cost of ownership is not much more than any other car. Couple that with a decent retention of value on a well maintained car that is purchased pre-owned. For the amount of enjoyment I get just staring at the car (and even more getting in it every day) and I would say it is worth every frickin’ penny!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
It's worth more bottom line. Use your talents to make more money. You have to pay to play kind of like strippers.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Airrik
You have to pay to play kind of like strippers.
Dude, that should be in your sig line.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
fast996 is infamous around these parts
Lol +1

Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Actually it is see, but it is true strippers cost more than 911 on maintenance.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Ph3n0m is infamous around these partsPh3n0m is infamous around these parts
i gave up strippers for my 911... and i'm ok with that.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
I bought a 911 and get stippers for free now...

Old 09-23-2011, 02:12 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
it is all bull. about ims and rms paranoia.
Considering the 996 are 10+ years old put them to one of most reliable cars.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Had to do it.

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 PM
max996 is infamous around these parts
Bought my 2002 with 70K on it, have put an additional 40K on it in 1 yr,no issues, drive the Pi.. out of it, and this is the ONLY car I have ever owned(have owned 48 New dif cars) during my lifetime with the least amount of issues and MOST fun ever, makes me smile all day long.And yeah those IMS and etc issues are certainly a bit over hyped, still going with my original stuff, just saying.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:31 PM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
as somebody who's never owned a 996 but looked into them several times (never the right car for my current needs) I find it cowardly to be afraid of the few problems they have. these cars are becoming a great value and even if you put a motor in you still will probably take less of a financial hit than the first owner did when they drove it off the lot.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM
RideSurf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
Must be born with it like you said. When I was a kid the only car poster on my wall was of a Porsche Turbo. I did not come from a wealthy family, but I told everyone that I would own one of those someday. I did cry the day I bought it. I also just stand in the garage sometimes and stare at it like I'm looking at a Michelangelo or something. It's also funny us "Porsche People" always wave at each other, or flash our lights, or get a thumbs up. That's just cool! Some of the rich guys don't bother though. They take it for granted I think. LOL I love my Porsche and she is here to stay. "There is no substitute"
Yeah, that is pretty much my story.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A 996 is just not for me .... right now