996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Console Scratch Repair Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Scuba Nut is infamous around these parts
Question Console Scratch Repair Suggestions??

The center console in my 2003 is a light to medium gray. The material on each side is thin and seems to scratch easily, even by fingernail. Black shows through the scratched areas and is very unsightly. Anyone have a way to repair or cover the scratches without replacing the whole console and spending a small fortune???

Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
2300cc is infamous around these parts2300cc is infamous around these parts
I tried the Carbon Gray Vinyl Plastic & Carpet Dye #HT-445 from detail king and it was a close match, but it is still not perfect to fill in the soft touch material. I think your best bet is to repaint the whole unit.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned
Diablo360 is infamous around these parts
Hey,

I'm having the same issue on my car, although it doesn't sound as bad as yours, I'm very ocd, and the rest of my interior is in MINT condition, so I had to take the project on. There are others who have done a 3M Di-Noc carbon wrap, and from pictures that I have seen, the quality looks pretty good. I didn't like the carbon look so I went ahead and ordered some of this stuff: http://www.stickercity.com/48-black-...for-hoods.html

I bought a roll in glossy silver (to match the Porsche aluminum look) and glossy black. I will see which one I like the best when they get here. I'm leaning towards the silver as I have always liked the look of arctic silver consoles, but we'll see....... So far this seems like a great alternative to re-painting the console, which can cost $150+. If you decide on the color and stick with it, you can redo your console for under $30. It's not a repaint, but I don't see why it shouldn't look as good..... I'll make a separate thread once I receive the vinyl wrap and see what everybody thinks......

Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Scuba Nut is infamous around these parts
Looking forward to seeing how your project will turn out, especially getting the material on without any wrinkles. Still can't believe that no one carries touch-up
paint since it's in such great demand. Porsche needs to come with a more durable
surface than this.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I ripped my leather off and laminated the whole thing in Carbon Fiber. It's a demanding job but well worth the effort in the end.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can replace it with a painted one also.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Same issue here. I have some aluma pieces in the car (ebrake, shifter, SW) so will probably just get a painted one from bumper plugs. The gray interior doesn't hold up like black, that's for sure.