996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What site can you get replica GT3 seats (996) ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Listen.

I was almost killed in a car accident and the only reason I walked away was due to the safety equipment. I've been involved in building cars since I was 19, and I've see what happens in accidents along with what happens when people that have no business building cars do so.

As the driver of a car, you are responsible for your life, the lives of others on the road, and the lives on those in your car.

Doing something for fashion or price over common sense is beyond moronic and anyone that does so should just leave the cars stock.

If you buy anything that is safety based that is not FULLY licensed or tested to be used in such a function, you are a complete idiot. I would say it here, I would say it to your face, and anyone on this board that has knowledge of how to repair or build custom/race cars will tell you the same.

You will never sway me from this opinion. To even debate me on it questions your common sense on the issue, and obviously you haven't come close to being killed in a car accident or witnessed it happen.

I've seen people with expired helmets, expired safety belts, improper grade bolts (cheap home depot ones) bolting safety belts which sheer off in seconds on impact, cheap seats that you could almost break by hand, cheap brakes, bald tires, you name it... ridiculous.

If I'm on a Porsche tour that is spirited and I see such cars in the group with ridiculous safety equipment, bald tires, or any other moronic situations I have seen, I call the person an idiot, leave the tour and go home. I don't need to associate with anyone that stupid or witness more people be killed.

So, if anyone reading this bought cheap knock-off seats and put them in your car, don't bother talking to me.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Purplxd
Listen.

I was almost killed in a car accident and the only reason I walked away was due to the safety equipment. I've been involved in building cars since I was 19, and I've see what happens in accidents along with what happens when people that have no business building cars do so.

As the driver of a car, you are responsible for your life, the lives of others on the road, and the lives on those in your car.

Doing something for fashion or price over common sense is beyond moronic and anyone that does so should just leave the cars stock.

If you buy anything that is safety based that is not FULLY licensed or tested to be used in such a function, you are a complete idiot. I would say it here, I would say it to your face, and anyone on this board that has knowledge of how to repair or build custom/race cars will tell you the same.

You will never sway me from this opinion. To even debate me on it questions your common sense on the issue, and obviously you haven't come close to being killed in a car accident or witnessed it happen.

I've seen people with expired helmets, expired safety belts, improper grade bolts (cheap home depot ones) bolting safety belts which sheer off in seconds on impact, cheap seats that you could almost break by hand, cheap brakes, bald tires, you name it... ridiculous.

If I'm on a Porsche tour that is spirited and I see such cars in the group with ridiculous safety equipment, bald tires, or any other moronic situations I have seen, I call the person an idiot, leave the tour and go home. I don't need to associate with anyone that stupid or witness more people be killed.

So, if anyone reading this bought cheap knock-off seats and put them in your car, don't bother talking to me.

Cheers
Aaron
I don't think anyone's arguing about not being safe.

The question is are all replica stuff unsafe? That's where I think that some are ok to use. Would I use $5.99 seat belts off ebay? Probably not. Would I buy replica wheels that have been around and used by many? Probably.

Safety is not only a judgement call on an individual basis but also relative. Who is to say one thing is more or less safe? Do I think you having just a Tequipment roll bar is sufficient, or even safe in a street car where you're not always wearing a helmet or have roll bar padding? It's not for me to say.

To each his own I guess.

BTW, all Porsche owners with Rotec's are idiots...

Old 01-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
True, the choices on what you do is individual and debatable. I was in a roll over, hence the rollbar.

Also the reason why I have GT3 seats as the standard stock seats put me in a bad seating position.

However, in my mind, whatever you choose to do, use proper equipment that is properly tested.

I've seen cheap knock off wheels break on pot holes and cause accidents. At least go BBS or something as equal. BBS is an OEM supplier afterall.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 01-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Nine_Eleven is infamous around these parts
I'm also looking at Recaro Pole Position.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Sneaky Pete has a spectacular aura aboutSneaky Pete has a spectacular aura about
Dang.......I was going post the same question that started this post off. I have to ask.....are any of you guys driving with rep seats and have you had any issues? Do any of you use them for DE's? I know purplxd opinion and respect it.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 PM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
Pete,

There is a thread on Rennlist's GT3 section where one owner had an off with rep seats and crumpled at impact.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...82-post21.html

Thread
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-roll-bar.html

Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chsu74
Pete,

There is a thread on Rennlist's GT3 section where one owner had an off with rep seats and crumpled at impact.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...82-post21.html

Thread
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-roll-bar.html
I would be interested in seeing pics and more details(brand of seats, mounting method, restraints used, previous accident using same seats,etc) than what was posted.

Assuming proper restraints were used, I can't really think of how this would happen(in a fixed back seat). If you think about it, the seat belt itself would tie down everything and most fixed back seats have a triangulated shaped reinforcements on the side to prevent the amount of rearward load.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 AM
I'll probably go Recaro pole position.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
xeattle is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

+1 for ROTtec

Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 AM
thanks