996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Instrument Dimmer Broken - Solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 AM
trackaddict is infamous around these parts
Instrument Dimmer Broken - Solutions?

I have an '02 Carrera and the instrument dimmer is broken, so when I drive at night, only the digital speedo and computer display light up. Everything else, such as the gauges, hvac and power window switches are all dark.

So I went in to my local independent shop and they told me that the dimmer switch/controller is not sold separately and that I'd have to buy a new cluster...$2K plus...

Has anyone else experienced this problem and can you recommend a less costly fix?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
You have a dimmer switch? I wonder if there is a way to bypass it - I don't have a dimmer at all.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Have you checked to see if there is a bad connection or a fuse blown? I will take a look at the wire diagrams to see if the circuiting for the speedo and computer LCD is different than the other lighting.

There are clusters on eBay on a regular basis. You can pick on up there for a lot less than new. Also check with the wreckers. And the pricing at Sunset and Suncoast will be lower than the local dealer.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Dharn55
Have you checked to see if there is a bad connection or a fuse blown? I will take a look at the wire diagrams to see if the circuiting for the speedo and computer LCD is different than the other lighting.

There are clusters on eBay on a regular basis. You can pick on up there for a lot less than new. Also check with the wreckers. And the pricing at Sunset and Suncoast will be lower than the local dealer.
Fuses are fine...wish it was that simple.

Do you know of any wreckers or salvage yards I could check?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Try DC Auto, Oklahoma Foreign, German Auto Dismantlers, LA Porsche dismantlers. The last two have gotten some bad reviews on occasion. If yours is an 02' remember that it is a MOST bus car, can't use the earlier clusters, and there is a difference between the Tip and Manual, and the Turbo.

There are lots of them out there, no real need to buy a new one unless having the exact mileage correct. On a new cluster I think a dealer can set the mielage to match the one being taken out.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
tomcat14623 is infamous around these parts
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and was quoted a couple thousand bucks. Then after a lot of research, it turns out that my headlight switch was bad. Are your license plate lights working when you turn your headlights on ? If not, you have a bad headlight switch which is about $100. Specifically, if the headlight switch is bad, the car does not know you turned on your headlight so the instrument lights/license plate lights would not turn on. Good luck.

Last edited by tomcat14623; 01-22-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
i have about 3 instrument clusters in my garage for parts available!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by tomcat14623
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and was quoted a couple thousand bucks. Then after a lot of research, it turns out that my headlight switch was bad. Are your license plate lights working when you turn your headlights on ? If not, you have a bad headlight switch which is about $100. Specifically, if the headlight switch is bad, the car does not know you turned on your headlight so the instrument lights/license plate lights would not turn on. Good luck.
I just checked the headlights and the license plate lights are out.

I'll have the headlight switch checked next week.

If that switch is the culprit, then I owe you big time.