996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

benefits of 20 over 19

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Mgtythor1 is infamous around these parts
thanks guys...going to stay away from 20's..looking for home techart 18 or 19 used..
i do love the comfort of my 18's now

Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
I did 19's. The ride isn't bad at all and I havent noticed any real performance loss in the car. I wouldn't use the, for track use, but around town is perfect and looks really good. 20's will look way too big. As for making the car look lower, No! Def wont. It will make the car look higher. Think of it this way. The hub (The part your rim bolts to) has to lift higher to reach the lug holes on a 20 inch rim than a 18 inch rim. So, that will raise the whole body of the car. Plus it wont compress the springs or shocks. You need to get a lowering spring. I have some H&R springs I am no longer using. I used them for four months then switched to a full race suspension. If you want them I will sell them to you for 100. Plus you pay shipping. That will lower the car how you want. If you go to my garage and look at the pics with the twist wheels that is with the H&R springs on the car.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 PM
hr

did the springs make the ride much stiffer? i like the height

Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
no not at all. You can ask anyone on here what they think of H&R spring and they will tell you they are the best for just going with springs and not a full coil-over set up. I had H&R on my old 95 BMW and they never sagged or lost their spring rate. I just ordered a set of them for my 2000 BMW. They are great springs. The reason I changed them on the Porsche is because I wanted a full setup and my struts needed to be replaced.My new struts ran me 2,000 and they are way stiffer. The H&R are designed tobe lower but not sacrifice the ide quality so much. You will feel a tad more bounce. Not much at all though if any.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

"Think of it this way. The hub (The part your rim bolts to) has to lift higher to reach the lug holes on a 20 inch rim than a 18 inch rim. So, that will raise the whole body of the car. Plus it wont compress the springs or shocks."

What?????? Sorry but that is some flawed logic right there.

You change the tire profile to keep as close to the same rolling diameter as possible when upsizing wheels. The hub would be in the place.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM
right that is true brando. They dont make a profile small enough to bring the car to its original profile on 20's. Could be done with 19s. Plus the smaller the side wall the more prone to a blow out. The car already has a low stance. I wouldn't be suprised if you couldn't even do 20's on these cars. The tire would rub even on the lowest profile tire.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 AM
and that isnt flawed logic. If he put 20's on there wth a decent sized tire that made the 20's a larger diameter than the 18's then it would raise the car. How do you think all them kids down south get there oldsmobile's on 24's so high on stock struts? The diameter of the wheel is so much larger than stock that you raise the hieght of the car.

I see how you are taking this and when you say a smaller profile tire to keep the original size you are 100% correct. But, I wouldnt recomend putting too small of a tire on the car. Plus what I am trying to explain to mgtythor is that no matter what size he goes to it wont lower the car. The rim size doesnt lower strut travel. I am trying to explain it in a sense that will be easy to understand.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Ok.....no problem.

I'm good with that logic!

I'll just keep my wimpy little 18's thank you.

Last edited by Brando; 02-11-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Wheels

Thanks guys..going to stick with 18 cause my deal with rims fell through...until i find some used wheels i really like..i will stick to my stock 18's...thanks for the help explaination was on the nose.