996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
I agree, the engine is a air pump, but IMHO all of the mufflers and hacks do the same thing; allow the exhaust to leave more freely. Therefore, whether it is a hack, "glass packs" or other mufflers, they all are allowing the engine to breath more freely. Also, the PSE hack is not adding a pipe bypassing the muffler, it is similar to the PSE system, using the input at the top of the muffler, bypassing some of the internal chambers. Please double check this, since I am far out of my comfort level not being either a tech or engineer.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rad288
Hey Aaron,

is your set up loud? Wanting to use this as my daily driver. Love to get that low rumble.
Have you put any miles on your car since the FI?
Loud is a personal preference... sounds awesome to me.

I've put about 10 feet on it. Pulled it out, washed it, back in the garage with a cover on it. Waiting for better weather.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Thanks... I just googled it and found out... looks interesting... simple and inexpensive... think I'll go ahead with this and see what it sounds like.
I have a set of PSE hacked mufflers for sale if you're interested... boxed and ready to ship.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
rad288 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 02TX996Cab
Since you're spending serious cash to add a supercharger to force more air into the engine, I recommend you add an exhaust that breathes better also.

None of the hacks, which just add a partial bypass pipe around the stock muffler, likely do much in this regard. This means you're looking at new mufflers from AWE Tuning (what I have on my '02 Cab, and like a lot...only available for the 3.6L), Fabspeed, etc.

As others have suggested, try to listen to a car which is running the system you're considering, from both inside (to hear if there's any resonance or "drone") and outside (to hear if it is too soft/loud for your liking). If you can't, then try to get info from someone with the system you're considering and the same body type (coupe, targa or cabriolet) as your 4S.

Good luck.
Hmmmm.... excellent points made...as Murphy's law would have it... I know no one that has a similiar set up... Anyone out there with a similar set up? Really want to do this all at once while the car is in the air!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Purplxd
Loud is a personal preference... sounds awesome to me.

I've put about 10 feet on it. Pulled it out, washed it, back in the garage with a cover on it. Waiting for better weather.

Cheers
Aaron

Hey Aaron,

Were the PSE hacks not loud enough for you? Is that why you went with the Agency mufflers? What's your opinion.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
To do a lot of the VF-E and maintenance work, I had to drop the whole exhaust system anyways so figured what the heck.

I'm a "while in there" type and it resulted in an expensive install with all the additional things I ended up doing.

The PSE did sound very nice at higher throttle as previously stated, much better than plain stock...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
rad288, i'm in edmonton with a 996 MK2. Right now I have muffler bypass pipes installed, and i'm going to be switching to PSE-hack shortly. If you'd like to meet up sometime I can show you what it sounds like before and after.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by split
rad288, i'm in edmonton with a 996 MK2. Right now I have muffler bypass pipes installed, and i'm going to be switching to PSE-hack shortly. If you'd like to meet up sometime I can show you what it sounds like before and after.
That would be great! PM me a time and place to meet!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
I really liked the PSE hack on my car and also liked the bypass between the outlet and inlet on a stock muffler. Cheap too.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:58 AM
996TTFred is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by balefire
Since it's your DD during the spring/summer, make sure you listen to one locally as any aftermarket exhaust including fabspeed can drone to certain ears.
However, the pse or gundo hack does not drone, but is not very loud either.
If you choose the 3rd generation Fabspeed MaxFlo "sport" you won't have any issues with drone. If you choose "supersport" then yes you could have drone, depending as you said upon your threshold for noise.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 AM
996TTFred is infamous around these parts
Thanks 996TTFred,

I've heard really good things with the Fabspeed. Did it change the exhaust note to a lower rumble? What's your opinion of the exhaust with the bypass valve... with the remote control?
The exhaust note of the Fabspeed does have a lower rumble. I have a couple video clip links that I can forward you that were taken last week. The Fabspeed system that I have does not drone, however there are those that do. The Porsche sport exhaust was very close to stock at idle. You really noticed the difference above 3500RPM's. Cruising in the car is the same as the stock system.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by 996TTFred
If you choose the 3rd generation Fabspeed MaxFlo "sport" you won't have any issues with drone. If you choose "supersport" then yes you could have drone, depending as you said upon your threshold for noise.
curious... which short shifter do you have in your TT?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
rbuisa is infamous around these parts
I have B&B mufflers, EVOMS Headers and V-flow and just had FabSpeed 200 cell cats installed today. Car sounds fantastic. Not too loud. Sounds more exotic when you get on it.....nothing too major but just right.........