996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 PM
rad288 is infamous around these parts
996 Exhaust

Help!... installing a supercharger soon... ordered from VF-Engineering Friday. So it should be here in a couple of weeks (according to Paul at VF-E)... I'm looking to do a exhaust mod at the same time... I'm looking to get a lower note out of the car... nothing too loud as it is my daily driver during the Spring/Summer months. What do you guys reccommend?

Old 02-13-2011, 06:43 AM
996TTFred is infamous around these parts
I have used both the Porsche sport exhaust and Fabspeed and liked them both. The sport exhaust was only noticeable during hard acceleration. You would notice the different exhaust note in the Fabspeed as soon as I started the car and even more so during acceleration.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by 996TTFred
I have used both the Porsche sport exhaust and Fabspeed and liked them both. The sport exhaust was only noticeable during hard acceleration. You would notice the different exhaust note in the Fabspeed as soon as I started the car and even more so during acceleration.
Thanks 996TTFred,

I've heard really good things with the Fabspeed. Did it change the exhaust note to a lower rumble? What's your opinion of the exhaust with the bypass valve... with the remote control?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
I went with Agency Power headers and mufflers and SpeedTech 200 cell cats. I just finished my VF-E install, sounds awesome together.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Purplxd
I went with Agency Power headers and mufflers and SpeedTech 200 cell cats. I just finished my VF-E install, sounds awesome together.

Cheers
Aaron

Hey Aaron,

is your set up loud? Wanting to use this as my daily driver. Love to get that low rumble.
Have you put any miles on your car since the FI?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 PM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Since it's your DD during the spring/summer, make sure you listen to one locally as any aftermarket exhaust including fabspeed can drone to certain ears.
However, the pse or gundo hack does not drone, but is not very loud either.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by balefire
Since it's your DD during the spring/summer, make sure you listen to one locally as any aftermarket exhaust including fabspeed can drone to certain ears.
However, the pse or gundo hack does not drone, but is not very loud either.
unfortunately there aren't many mod shops here in Edmonton...and fewer 996 enthuisiasts. What is pse hack?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
I did the PSE hack, find it loud enough on acceleration without done at steady speed. Do a search on Renntech and you'll find description and pictures. Basically it runs an exhaust pipe from the metal cap at the top of the mufflers I was charged $250 by an exhaust shop, some here have gotten it done for significantly less. I think you would be happy with it and if not you are not out a lot of money.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Goldduster
I did the PSE hack, find it loud enough on acceleration without done at steady speed. Do a search on Renntech and you'll find description and pictures. Basically it runs an exhaust pipe from the metal cap at the top of the mufflers I was charged $250 by an exhaust shop, some here have gotten it done for significantly less. I think you would be happy with it and if not you are not out a lot of money.
Thanks... I just googled it and found out... looks interesting... simple and inexpensive... think I'll go ahead with this and see what it sounds like.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Darin Fister I believe populated the muffler hack among 993s, and refined it for the 996. There are different stages or bypasses. I got the stage II hack, and it is not very loud, so I wouldn't even consider a stage I pse like mod. If you have a 3.4, it's even more important as the stage I mod doesn't work for 3.4l mufflers.

Last edited by balefire; 02-13-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by balefire
Darin Fister I believe populated the muffler hack among 993s, and refined it for the 996. There are different stages or bypasses. I got the stage II hack, and it is not very loud, so I wouldn't even consider a stage I mod. If you have a 3.4, it's even more important as the stage I mod doesn't work for 3.4l mufflers.
I'll have to research Fister hack... not familiar with it... is it similar to the Gundo hack?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
VIPR ETR is infamous around these parts
I just got my car back after installing Agency exhaust and I can tell you I am in LOVE!!! I got my car the perfect valentines gift!!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by VIPR ETR
I just got my car back after installing Agency exhaust and I can tell you I am in LOVE!!! I got my car the perfect valentines gift!!!!
nice!!! any sound bites? love to hear it!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by rad288
I'll have to research Fister hack... not familiar with it... is it similar to the Gundo hack?
For some reason, people on this board refer to it as a gundo hack as he was one of the first do it on a 997. However, Fister was probably the first to do it in both the 993 and 996 muffler years before. All the names refer to a hack based on the design of the very expensive porsche sports exhaust or pse. Fister actually sells mufflers with the hack already done.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
Since you're spending serious cash to add a supercharger to force more air into the engine, I recommend you add an exhaust that breathes better also.

None of the hacks, which just add a partial bypass pipe around the stock muffler, likely do much in this regard. This means you're looking at new mufflers from AWE Tuning (what I have on my '02 Cab, and like a lot...only available for the 3.6L), Fabspeed, etc.

As others have suggested, try to listen to a car which is running the system you're considering, from both inside (to hear if there's any resonance or "drone") and outside (to hear if it is too soft/loud for your liking). If you can't, then try to get info from someone with the system you're considering and the same body type (coupe, targa or cabriolet) as your 4S.

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Exhaust