996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Stock vs 996 Supercharge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:15 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Hamann7
But with Turbo prices creeping into the 70's for an '01, I think it is so much easier to buy that than messing around with a standard 996.
but with '01 standard 996s in the 30's and 40s ('99s in the low 30s) and the Turbos coming all porked up along with a computer driving (AWD)... i've sure put a hurting on a lot of Turbos in the moutains with my 996 "CAB" (at 3250 lbs full of gas) even before it was supercharged and went through a lot less brake and tire wear than they did in the process. that said, on hot days and when the altitude got up there, the Turbos would make it much harder on me with the up to 20% power loss on the NA motor. post SC though...

Last edited by ben, lj; 03-21-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by C70Pete
"you get what you pay for"

and hear lies the whole crux of the argument... there is certainly VALUE in a SC upgrade - hell of a lot more value than buying a GT2 or Twin Turbo upgrade... for 15K your hangin with the best of em...

how much does GT2 cost???

on the race track.. yes your point is well taken... SC engine explosion is imminent... but to have some fun I think SC is gonna give your GT2 a run for the money.

So when is this race gonna take place? I'm dying to see some videos!

but in all fairness guys... don't mess with the ECU and cheat... this is not aboug ego but performance and fun... clearly the GT2 and modded twin Turbo are FAR SUPERIOR to any SC 996 in every category EXCEPT price!

cheers
Pete
I agree with what you say with one exception. The SC will not blow. It is only spinning at a max of 50,000 rpm which is just a small percetage of the turbo rpms's. It also is considerable cooler that are the turbos.

As far as value? You are also correct. I can tell you first hand that tmany owners of TT's, GT3 and GT2's have been quite embarassed by being out paced with my lowly 996 while they are driving to the bank to make another payment on their loan.

As far as when the head to head race will take place....if I trusted this guy I would wager $50,000 against his $50,000 and drive out and run 3 races against his STOCK GT2. But he already admits he cheats, so that is out of the question.

It would not be a gamble for me because I know for a fact what the performance of a STOCK GT2 is and have several head tohead races against them behind me. He would be the gambler because he knows nothing about my car.

But I will let him rant and rave if it helps his ego.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 1999Porsche911
So here is another expert that knows nothing about buidling engines or forced induction claiming his car can beat another car that he as never seem and knows nothing about. Maybe he is on an ego trip. But he protects himself by stating that he would "cheat" if necessary to prove his point.

I guess it's people like him that give us the edge in life.
Yeah, it's obvious you have the edge in life. How can I be like you and afford a '99 C2 and then afford the expense of a supercharger? Please tell me. All I can afford is a GT2 or GT3 so I am clearly not worthy.

It doesn't matter to me if your car is faster in a straight or not. If I am deemed ignorant about tuning, then I suppose that would make you a retard.

Notice how you have not ONCE addressed the difference between the M96 and the M70 GT1 block and the difference in ability to handle forced induction. You say that the 3.4L will hold up in long-term reliability to the 3.6L. But you don't think that the newer M96 3.6L motor is the same as the M70, do you?

As stated, I would not cheat to prove the point. But it seems that you would, considering how ambiguous you have been about your "proprietary" supercharging system....

Oh I know what it is. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO jealous of your '99 C2 Supercharged?

Old 03-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Porsche Fiend
As far as when the head to head race will take place....if I trusted this guy I would wager $50,000 against his $50,000 and drive out and run 3 races against his STOCK GT2. But he already admits he cheats, so that is out of the question.

It would not be a gamble for me because I know for a fact what the performance of a STOCK GT2 is and have several head tohead races against them behind me. He would be the gambler because he knows nothing about my car.

But I will let him rant and rave if it helps his ego.
You are such a pathetic ******. My GT2 technically doesn't qualify because I have a EP Stage 2 exhaust which makes a little bit of power.

Of course if you are running a ****load of boost, your C2 may be faster than a stock GT2. So what? What point are you trying to prove? Why would I waste my time betting on a drag race of a car that is 'custom' tuned? My assertion is that your car will not be reliable under hard use because of its weak motor. If you sacrifice reliability, you can win one little drag race. With $10 grand worth of parts, I can make my GT2 produce over 700hp and it won't bend the factory rods until about 20K miles or so. And the point is....?

Oh let me guess, you were hoping to get the $50 grand so you can buy a Turbo and start a real tuning project that people might actually give a **** about?

Would you like to run the GT2 after it gets 'tuned' and I disclose all the mods? Oh no, you wouldn't, because that would be unfair, wouldn't it? So I guess what you're admitting after all is that your car is clearly the inferior platform.

Last edited by Hamann7; 03-21-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:38 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Yeah, it's obvious you have the edge in life. How can I be like you and afford a '99 C2 and then afford the expense of a supercharger? Please tell me. All I can afford is a GT2 or GT3 so I am clearly not worthy.

It doesn't matter to me if your car is faster in a straight or not. If I am deemed ignorant about tuning, then I suppose that would make you a retard.

Notice how you have not ONCE addressed the difference between the M96 and the M70 GT1 block and the difference in ability to handle forced induction. You say that the 3.4L will hold up in long-term reliability to the 3.6L. But you don't think that the newer M96 3.6L motor is the same as the M70, do you?

As stated, I would not cheat to prove the point. But it seems that you would, considering how ambiguous you have been about your "proprietary" supercharging system....

Oh I know what it is. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO jealous of your '99 C2 Supercharged?

Now I see where the problems is. It IS EGO to you. "All I can afford is a GT2 or GT3 so I am clearly not worthy." So it's a money thing? I am the last person you want to compare checkbooks with if you need networth to feel good about yourself.

Get over yourself, will you? Here is my orginal claim. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn't challenge anyone, just stated facts. You had some need to turn this statement into some sort of challenge. How about challenging the claim and not everything but????

"In that case, if it is a stock GT2, we would be even at least until 120 mph. That was as of last summer. Made a few adjustments since then and I await to run against my buddies GT2 when the weather breaks here. I fully expect to watch him in my rear view mirror at least until 100 mph. Keeping the exhaust flow properly restricted greatly helps the bottom end power."

I understand your poblem now, so I won't bother wasting valuable web resources replying to you anymore. I hope you find what you are looking for in life.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 03-21-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Porsche Fiend
Originally posted by ben, lj
but with '01 standard 996s in the 30's and 40s ('99s in the low 30s) and the Turbos coming all porked up along with a computer driving (AWD)... i've sure put a hurting on a lot of Turbos in the moutains with my 996 "CAB" (at 3250 lbs full of gas) even before it was supercharged and went through a lot less brake and tire wear than they did in the process. that said, on hot days and when the altitude got up there, the Turbos would make it much harder on me with the up to 20% power loss on the NA motor. post SC though...
Ben, you have got to be kidding me. Unless you are a really ****ty driver, which you are not, you can easily smoke a 996 cab with a Turbo. I think it came down to more driver than car. The standard 996 just doesn't have the power to challenge a Turbo!

If you want to talk about modded cars... that's a different story. A properly modded Turbo will destroy a SC 996.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Porsche Fiend
Now I see where the problems is. It IS EGO to you. "All I can afford is a GT2 or GT3 so I am clearly not worthy." So it's a money thing? I am the last person you want to compare checkbooks with if you need networth to feel good about yourself.
Who's the one making assertions against things they don't know?Wow, I didn't realize such a supposed obscenely rich person could be so stupid. All that money and you live in St. Charles, IL. How sad...

Couldn't you afford to work on a better project car than a '99 C2 since you are sooooo wealthy?

My only claim is that your car is a piece of **** compared to a GT2. You have yet to challenge that claim.

Why oh why do I continue to argue with idiots? I must be bored.

Last edited by Hamann7; 03-21-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
You are such a pathetic ******. My GT2 technically doesn't qualify because I have a EP Stage 2 exhaust which makes a little bit of power.

Of course if you are running a ****load of boost, your C2 may be faster than a stock GT2. So what? What point are you trying to prove? Why would I waste my time betting on a drag race of a car that is 'custom' tuned? My assertion is that your car will not be reliable under hard use because of its weak motor. If you sacrifice reliability, you can win one little drag race. With $10 grand worth of parts, I can make my GT2 produce over 700hp and it won't bend the factory rods until about 20K miles or so. And the point is....?

Oh let me guess, you were hoping to get the $50 grand so you can buy a Turbo and start a real tuning project that people might actually give a **** about?

Would you like to run the GT2 after it gets 'tuned' and I disclose all the mods? Oh no, you wouldn't, because that would be unfair, wouldn't it? So I guess what you're admitting after all is that your car is clearly the inferior platform.
Dude we all know you're an egomanical moron who knows absolutly nothing about anything. Your obviously poor Tyson, I mean all you can afford is a POS GT3 and GT2 please you are like white trash. Where do you keep your cars, in a double wide? Tyson how could you know anything about tuning cars? Oh you think because you won some so-called shootout you are special. I bet you made that whole thing up, oh wait i have the mag where you places first. Tyson I really wish you still had the TT so you could prove what a real Porsche can do. Its actually hillarious how much lack of respect these people have for one of the greatest Porsches ever produced. In case you people are forgetting you have 3.4L C2s, that is **** compared to a GT2, in fact my Turbo is **** compared to a GT2. You see you people fail to realize Tyson won the 1/4 mile at the shootout he has pretty much has had the fastest stright line 996 and yet he still got rid of that car for his Gt2, that should say a lot. This guy can have any kind of Porsche he wants, he could buy or build himself the gastest 996 C2 ever made but he would rather have a GT2. Do you honestly think he doesn't know what he is talking about? You need to remember where you are in the Porsche food chain.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Porsche Fiend
ttgangsta, thanks for your support. I hope you will be a GT2gangsta soon. You will love that car.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:03 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
I know. I am so confused you see if i sell my soul to the devil and get the GT2 I am not sure it would be worth it cause i would probaly die in a track accident shortly after the puchase

Old 03-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hmmmm... interesting dilemma. Maybe you can pray to God and he will bless with you one.

If not, the devil is always a back up plan.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah good call on that, i think I will have to wait a few years for the Gt2 im not ready for that "real" of a car at this point in my life, im 18.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Porsche Fiend
You have plenty of time then... by the time you are 21, you can get a CGT. Til then, drive the **** out of your 996TT and remember to hit the track every now and then and get some good instruction. That will prepare you for the "real" cars!

Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM
My87Targa is infamous around these parts
this thred is full of a bunch of cockey *** people trying to swing their nuts around. funny how im prolly the youngest and have the slowest car and i feel the need to say this....GROW THE **** UP AND GET OVER YOUR SELF.

everyone as car lovers should know that some people like to do things to different cars, not because they dont have the money for a better car but because what they are acheiving is different.

is that really such a bad thing to do?? and yet at the end of the arguement it comes down to you guys arguing about who can buy what and whos bank account is bigger. WOW sounds like a bunch of 5 year olds here, we all love porsche cars isnt that good enough??

Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Well you know tyson I guess a GT2 doesn't really count as a real car...maybe I should get a SC C2 then I can beat on any track at any time then what will you do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Stock vs 996 Supercharge