996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Stock vs 996 Supercharge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Kev
Kev is infamous around these parts
Hamann7,

You going Nardo like Guy?

If so....................

Old 03-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Kev,

I was thinking of going Nardo, but the people at Ruf think the R Turbo 550 may be better for my use since I like canyons and track driving.

I am going to try to talk them into doing something different, maybe in between Nardo and 550.

We will see... I am taking my time to think about what to do to the car. In the meanwhile, I love driving it as is.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Kev
Kev is infamous around these parts
Hamann7,

That sounds awesome!

The Nardo package is really an autobahn stormer. I don't think there are any places in Cali where you will be able to unleash it's full might.

You're going to have the work done by Ruf Auto Centre in TX right?

Anyway Congrats man!

Old 03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
pixrken is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by J.Seven
Hi pixrken, have you had the chance to made a side by side accelaration with your brothers 996 Turbo, and see who´s fastest? I can´t believe you have a brother with a Turbo and never did a side by side
Yeah, I don't know what's up with that!
I called him out a couple of times. When we were growing up he was always the "wild one". I can't believe he growned up to be more conservative than me
We got together for a track day at Thunderhill late last year and that happens to be the day the clamps on my intake hose came loose. It happened in the second session and at the time I didn't know what the problem was. The symptom was smoke coming out of the engine compartment. It was the oil dripping onto the hot engine. We see a small puddle of oil and it look like it was coming from the S/C blower area, we checked all the obvious oil lines with the engine running and couldn't find where it might be leaking (no oil was gushing or even dripping out). It seem to have happen after a high RPM track session so I ended my track day short but felt it should be safe enough to drive the car home.
I kept the rev's low, had a fire extinguisher in the car and had my brother and friends follow me home just in case.
We stopped a couple of times on the way home to check on the engine compartment and it didn't seem like it was smoking anymore.

I brought the car into SCarGo, the shop that did the S/C install to check on the problem. It was determine the oil was coming from the intake hose when the clamp came loose. Keep in mind this is the air intake hose to the S/C which seems kind of strange to have oil coming out of there. It turns out there are airborne oil particles when the blower spins, the loose air intake hose to the blower was an area of least resistance and allows the oil droplets to escape when pressurized.
They tighten up the clamps but had reservations about the engineering of the clamps, the flex of the air intake hose and how it might push against the housing when pressurized
The second time the clamps came loose was on a night I was driving home from work (I really do drive my car) but this time the hose came off enough to drive the ECU crazy and it went into limp mode (car idles at 1K or won't hold idle, loss of Egas control).
SCarGo replaced all the hoses with much stronger ones and beefier clamps and I had not had problems with it since.

Anyway, nobody doubts a SC 996 to be faster than stock 996, the only doubt is by how much, and if the difference is the same as the M3 vs M3 SC than I´ll be

If you're around the Bay Area you're welcome to test drive my S/C
I can't comment on a M3 vs. M3 SC because I don't own either one but I can comment on being a owner of N/A 996 and then SuperCharging it. Adding 100+ HP is so obvious or to quote Ray from Dynolabs when he was looking the dyno charts "You'll feel that!"

You must be one of the SC 996 with more race time on its wheels, so for those who want to follow SC route, your experience is valuable

We like to say "track" time, "race" is such a dirty word in a DE because of insurance implications.
You can make the argument the S/C has more parts and hence more things to break but I feel it's been a pretty reliable platform because the base Porsche platform is reliable.
I'd learn alot from the seat time. I'm much more relax on track and having other cars around doesn't bother me anymore when we're heading into a turn.

Congrats on your provisional racing license

Thanks! I'm looking forward to my rookie season.
I met some of the racers in the division I'll be running in and they seem to be a bunch of really nice guys.
I'm sure I'm going to get schooled by the veteran racers and that's O.K.

--Ken

Old 03-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Itzkirb
My SC996 will beat ANY CAR on this or any other board! I'm willing to bet any of Arlings cars!

You're on!
I'm willing to bet any of Arlings cars also!

--Ken

Old 03-21-2005, 05:44 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
good point on the 01 turbos... agreed.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by pixrken

If you're around the Bay Area you're welcome to test drive my S/C

--Ken [/B]
Ken, I´m from Europe and I live here, but I´ll be in Miami on 30 March till 6 April for a business trip. Excuse my ignorance, but is Miami Beach close from bay Aerea I just might have asked the dumbest question of all time here on board

Anyway the EVO site have several press release about four or five magazines that tested the EVO 3.4SC and 3.6SC .
All the mags stated the same thing, althought EVO claims 420 HP for 3.4L SC, it simply doesn´t have the grunt and power accelaration provided by 996Turbo. as to the 3.6SC they were all far more impressed, and compare it some how to the Turbo power.

PS - If Miami is close , I´ll be more than happy to accept your invitation

Old 03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Ken, I´ve just saw on your avantar that you´re from Ca, so my question was indeed the dumbest of all

Old 03-21-2005, 09:54 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
Kev,

I was thinking of going Nardo, but the people at Ruf think the R Turbo 550 may be better for my use since I like canyons and track driving.

I am going to try to talk them into doing something different, maybe in between Nardo and 550.

We will see... I am taking my time to think about what to do to the car. In the meanwhile, I love driving it as is.
Tyson, have you had an opportunity (with comparable tires) to compare lap times with your GT3 and GT2? It'd be interesting to see what the net result is between the different beasts at Willow and Streets. Also, have you had the op to track a Cup car to compare?

D

Old 03-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Dave, I have not had the chance to compare lap times yet, as I have barely driven the GT3 since I got it in December. I haven't had a whole lot of time lately to go to the track, unfortunately.

I am not running R-compound on either, but that will change soon.

I have not driven a Cup car yet, I would love to have the opportunity to do so one of these days.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Banned
RWDRIFTC2 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by pixrken
Hi J.Seven,

I don't believe for a minute my supercharged 996 is faster than Tyson's GT2 but I can't believe anyone can argue a stock 996 is faster than a supercharged one either.

I been to eight post S/C track days and the car has been very reliable. The only problem I had was the intake hose to the blower housing came loose and spew oil droplets by the housing. I retighten the clamps, one time might have been a fluke but the second time it happen I had it taken apart for inspection. I had the clamps replaced with much stronger ones and it's been problem free since.

I never had a hard start problem with the firmware rev. of my ECU or coolent leak issues.

Not having C.A.R.B. certification yet is surprising on EVO's part since California is such a big market.

My S/C 996 is my daily driver and not a garage queen. However having said that, my weekend driver is a minivan because I have to chauffeur my family around

My 996 will see less track days this year since I finished advanced racing school. I'm getting a provisional racing license and building up a dedicated track car.

--Ken
Hey Ken where did you buy the new clamps out. I think I need the same thing. I have had the hoses blow off a few times as well.

Vince

Old 03-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Banned
RWDRIFTC2 is infamous around these parts
@ 996 - Let me know when you'd like to compare the SC 996 to the GT2. If it is the EVO kit, I am pretty sure the GT2 is faster. I promise not to mess with my ECU or turbos beforehand and leave you too far behind.

@ 1999 - You are simply delusional to think that you can outsmart the factory engineers and resources. And to think that your 3.4L block can compare to the GT1 block is even more laughable. Fact of the matter is that the motor in the 996 Turbo/GT2/GT3 is far superior to what you have in terms of reliability and handling forced induction, as well as having a proper dry sump that keeps the engine lubricated under high G cornering.

If you took your car to the track, it is only a matter of time before your engine blows up. Superchargers (depending on type) have not really proven to be a reliable technology in racing, nor can they put out the kind of power of a proper turbo system.

If your car is putting out a true 500hp, it should be about even with a GT2, as they are underrated from the factory. Should I happen to cheat and reprogram just the ECU, I can assure you that your car will get its *** kicked. If you want to see a comparo, you'd better do it before the car goes to Ruf. At that point, you won't even see me in the horizon after 100mph.

You get what you pay for.
Tyson,
I defintely down to race with you. Lets do it. My supercharged widebody c2 verus your monster. You have to give me about 6 cars lengths ahead though to make it fair.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Curves4S is infamous around these parts

I have not driven a Cup car yet, I would love to have the opportunity to do so one of these days.

I've ridden in a cup car and wasn't too impressed w/ the difference in power... Handling was awesome but as far as acceleration...it was kind of what i expected... Imagine raw GT3 w/ ecu upgrade good for 15+ hp... I'd guess that going from your old turbo to a Cup car you'd might be disappointed.

Now a GT 500 car... that was the best ride of my life!

Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 AM
topspn is infamous around these parts
Love mine. Would definitely do it again.

Regards

Old 03-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by RWDRIFTC2
Hey Ken where did you buy the new clamps out. I think I need the same thing. I have had the hoses blow off a few times as well.

Vince
Hi Vince,

SCarGo replaced everything for free.
I'll check with them on the part#'s

--Ken

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Stock vs 996 Supercharge