996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I got the problem you got the answer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 PM
VIPR ETR is infamous around these parts
I got the problem you got the answer

Ok so I just got my car back this week after installing an Agency Exhaust (Sounds Amazing x 10), K&N Cold Air Intake (also known as hot air intake on this forum) and Power Chip ECU flash. Once I got to a stop light coming home from the installer my car idled really funny for 15-20 secs and then smoothed out. My first thought was the car was learning everything that was done to the car.

One I first start the car there is a good 20 seconds of white smoke that comes out (Live in Chicago and its COLD) and during a 15 minute drive through the city I started to smell what I think is antifreeze. It was just at that moment that the check engine light popped up. I came straight home and hooked it up to the Durametric and got the two following codes: P1602 and P1123

I researched the codes and the 1st one doesn’t seem to be a big deal (actually couldn’t find much on it) the 2nd one seems to have something to do with my MAF. I know the K&N is probably the culprit if my MAF went bad but the rough idle and anti-freeze smell is what is concerning. Any thoughts? Could it be an O2 sensor damaged from the exhaust install?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
O2 sensors are connected to the Cat's...they should not have been touched if it was an exhaust only upgrade.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
It's probably the K&N. The filter has extra oil on it that gets caught in the MAF. You can go two ways. Either take the filter off and wrap it in news paper to get the extra oil off,or you can get an oil-less filter. I went with a oil-less filter made by AEM. No problems since.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
P1602 is a Voltage supply - open circuit. They must have left a wire unconnected.

P1123 is Oxygen Sensing adaptation area 1 cylinder 1-2, lean condition. check the connections of the the oxygen sensors or for a damaged wire.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Mother is infamous around these parts
White smoke, smell anti freeze and lean condition, hopefully you will not have to dig deeper.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Im going to check the O2 sensor connection and see if everything seems wired properly. I would feel safe to say this might also be the reason I am feeling a serious loss of power in my upper mid range RPM's??

Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
With the smell of antifreeze have you looked for leaks, looked at the coolant and the oil for signs of intermix?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
I noticed that my car idled funny for a bit after the K&N was installed. Smoothed out after a day or so.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
If you paid someone to do the install - TAKE IT BACK. I wouldn't start messing with anything myself and take the chance they walk away from the car claiming you did something, not their fault, etc.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
What was the end result Vipr?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
It was a damaged O2 sensor, I just finished building my hillbilly wooden ramps that I found a DIY on renntech. Fired up the torpedo heater and changed it out in the garage a few days ago. All codes are gone but haven’t had a chance to drive it the 50+ miles to make sure it’s perfect.