996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My ABC Extreme Makeover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
My ABC Extreme Makeover

So I sent in a video to ABC telling them about my unfortunate Flywheel mishap and they felt very sorry for me, so they sent Ty and the two hot blondes over to give me a extreme makeover on my 2.5 Race engine I told them I'd rather just have the blondes come and leave Ty on the Bus!

Anyway so I'll back up a little, I bought a race ready 69 911 RS Replica January of 2004, after sorting out most of the problems for the last year I was at a race in Willow Springs back in November of 2004, well the clutch took a dump, as you can see here...

So I call Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix and order a lightweight Flywheel and Dual Centerforce Clutch. They send me this..

So we install the new clutch and flywheel and I finish a race in Fontana this last January with no problems....
Next we head to Pahrump Nevada for a race in February.. Im just taking it easy cause it was raining, so its kinda like playing on Ice with slicks.... so the straight away comes and I slowly accelarate.. clutch to the floor shift at 7300 and a cloud of smoke enters the car and a really bad grinding sound comes from the engine area.. Yes my first thoughts are ok this will be expensive.. I think I said of FU$** first ... so they tow me in and the corner worker comes out and says sparks flew from underneath your car... Hmmmm sparks you say? OK so crawl under and I see lots of grey areas around the tranny.. So its official im done for the weekend.. head home and my friend Justin and I drop then engine.. and we find this...

Yes that is the round part of the lightweight Flywheel!

This is me holding the flywheel where its is supposed to me attached to! NOT COOL!

So I call Jim the owner of Patrick Motorsports and I send him these pictures and he is amazed, he has never seen this before in the over 200 that he has sold.. So I send him everything back and a few days later he calls me and says well I found the problem, it appears that my guy in the shop drilled out to many holes around the bolt pattern. YA THINK! The one in the pic has 12 holes, the normal one should have 9 holes.. like this..

So needless to say I wasn't happy, he apologized and sent me a new flywheel as seen in the pic above, I asked him how many of these he sent out.. and there was a moment of silence on the phone.... I feel for the other guys that may have got these.

Anyway sorry for the long post.. but its all Porsche stuff so its fun right?

Old 03-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
So now on to the ABC Extreme Engine makeover .

This is what she looked like before...

and here she is after....

Its amazing what you can do with some paint, powder coating, and a lot of extra time ..

Of course there are a few replacement parts.. new plug wires, new coil, new dist. Cap, new braided fuel lines and gauge.

The fan and fan housing was powder coated, the rest was paint... here is the process as it came along...

Last edited by Kevin M; 03-22-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Modaholic

Also had the headers and pipes CermaKromed..

and here shes is getting ready to come home...

Anyway thanks for tuning in to this episode.. stay tuned for next week when we we drop the 996 engine and try to fit the Cayenne engine in it

Last edited by Kevin M; 03-22-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 AM
996 is infamous around these parts
The powder coating should add at least 10 MPH Have fun, engine looks great!

Old 03-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Modaholic
Hey Robby!.. I was thining at least 10-15HP Call me when you have time.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Kevin that looks incredible bro. Can you come over and redo my backyard when you're done please?

Old 03-22-2005, 04:33 AM
Curves4S is infamous around these parts
nice post!

Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Orient Express is infamous around these parts
Kevin:

That looks sweet! Be sure to bring it to the Fresno Concours!

BTW, have you and Nat tied the knot yet?

Old 03-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
what Part # are those Tennis *****?

Old 03-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Modaholic
Hey Gary! October 8th is the big day

Old 03-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Modaholic
Kirby those are 996 111 B ALL S

Old 03-22-2005, 01:02 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
THE RACE CAR LOOKS GREAT KEV

LOVE THE MAKEOVER U DID LOOKS KILLER IN MY OPINION

Old 03-22-2005, 01:21 PM
pixrken is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by 02barebones996
THE RACE CAR LOOKS GREAT KEV

LOVE THE MAKEOVER U DID LOOKS KILLER IN MY OPINION
Ditto!
Great job on the engine!

--Ken

Old 03-22-2005, 11:24 PM
My87Targa is infamous around these parts
damn thats hot, ill have to look into it on my 87. how hard was it to drop the motor, i need to put a clutch in my car

Last edited by My87Targa; 03-23-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Modaholic
Thanks guys!!!
Dropping the engine wasn't to difficult, disconnect CV axles from tranny, disconnect all oil lines, fuel lines, mark all wires, having 2 jacks was very helpful, I picked up a ATC/motorcycle jack at Harbor Freght.. also some larger size 24" jack stands help cause
you need to go up high. Check over at the pelican forum for more details there are some nice check list there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My ABC Extreme Makeover