996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

clutch replacement conondrum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
REPLACE YOUR AOS. I had my clutched replaced 6 months ago. I just spent another a$$ load today to have the AOS replaced because it was leaking coolant.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by function12
REPLACE YOUR AOS. I had my clutched replaced 6 months ago. I just spent another a$$ load today to have the AOS replaced because it was leaking coolant.
probably a good idea. kinda getting the thought that it may be a good idea to replace easy, cheap things so that i don't have to drop the tranny until this clutch wears out - 50k mi from now.

JB

Old 04-09-2011, 10:10 AM
porsche510 is infamous around these parts
If you are saying your car is at 86K miles and 2002 and of all things why do you want to do LNE bearing if there are so many things that can go wrong with it. Unless you plan on keeping it for another 10 years and drive it to bare bone. Since you have no metal trace in the oil I would spend least amount possible. The car is worth 20-25K in the ballpark, have fun with it and if it breaks get a newer model.

Originally Posted by JB Lifeguard
Well, the time has come to get the clutch replaced.

And after reading most of the posts here and rennlist, the choice is coming down to having the work done at my local dealer or an independent shop. The costs are about the same, so price is not an issue.

the car is a 2002 with 86k mi on it. the clutch and rms were replaced at 42k mi in 2005. there is a bit of oil weeping from the rms and the clutch is very hard to depress, hence the work needed.

the dealer has been very helpful and has worked with me since i got the car. however, they have never used an LN engineering IMS bearing, so this would be the first time they tried it. when these cars were under warranty, they would do an engine swap. His work would include a 2 yr warranty.

the independent shop is very experienced with the LN bearing but his work would only have a 1 yr warranty, and may be more difficult to claim. After all, it is a small, highly regarded, single man shop - no deep pockets there or heavy load of warranty work to write off his charges.

both have looked at the car and said until the tranny is out, there is no way to know if the bearing is bad. A Blackstone oil analysis suggests the bearings are fine - no tell take trace metals are in the oil.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

JB

Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porsche510
If you are saying your car is at 86K miles and 2002 and of all things why do you want to do LNE bearing if there are so many things that can go wrong with it. Unless you plan on keeping it for another 10 years and drive it to bare bone. Since you have no metal trace in the oil I would spend least amount possible. The car is worth 20-25K in the ballpark, have fun with it and if it breaks get a newer model.
OK. This is my choice.

I am going with the INDY and putting in the LNE bearing. This move adds $600 - $650 to the cost. It really is not that much extra, about a set of rear tires (which last 10-12k mi). I will get at least 4 sets, if not 8 before I (or the next owner) has to do the clutch again. But, I can drive without worrying until then. (as a deviation: the first Porsche I owned, a '72 911S targa, slipped a tooth on the timing chain due to a failed chain tensioner at mile 34.4 of NY Thruway. It took 3 months of "repair" and two shops to get the car back. That I still drive 911's after that amazes my wife.)

And, the clincher is, that when I do go to sell the car, it will be that much easier to get the fair market price for it.

So, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

JB