996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

temperature light blinking HELP??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
marvelusmarvcus is infamous around these parts
temperature light blinking HELP??

i am unsure what to check next.

my temp light has been blinking for a few months now. the temp is fine unless i let the car sit. when sitting the temp goes above normal. when driving everything is fine.

when i first checked the coolant, a few months ago, it was full. i recently checked it and it was a little low, filled it up, light still blinking.

thought it might be a bad cooling fan, but hear them all come on and have seen the engine fan working.

have smelled coolant after driving car for a while.

took the car to a mechanic, he did a pressure test, said no leaks.

any ideas?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I thought flashing light was low coolant. Might have air in the system. You might try driving it for a day with the burp valve open or parking it nose down with burp valve open. I would also check to see if the oil looks milky and for any coolant leaks. Coolant tanks have been known to crack too.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
other thoughts if your thermostat is not opening all the way this could also create a problem, or if radiator fan is not kicking on.

not sure where the bleeder is on that car but find it crack it open and add coolant until it comes out..to make sure its full.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
if it just needed to be burped, i would not get the slightly higher temp reading correct??

just trying to eliminate some things here

Old 03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by marvelusmarvcus
if it just needed to be burped, i would not get the slightly higher temp reading correct??

just trying to eliminate some things here
You need to start there to make sure the system is 100% filled.

once you know its filled let it idle ..keep a eye on the temp and listen to see if the fan kicks

Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Doug996InKC is infamous around these partsDoug996InKC is infamous around these parts
Check the coolant overflow tank for cracks.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
i have been running the car with the burp valve open. i have had to add water a few times.

it seems that when the car sits, everything is fine.

when i drive the car for a while, a small amount of water needs to be added. when i open the tank for this, there is always a blast of built up air.

it seems like air is getting into the system, and water is getting out. i had a pressure test done, but no leaks.

is it possible that somehow the leak opens up only when the car is operating? i think the pressure test is done with the car sitting and off?

what should i do next?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 PM
any ideas?

i really dont want to take this to the shop and let them have to try to figure it out.

could it be the waterpump?

loses coolant only when i drive it

Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Do you see any coolant leaking anywhere? My water pump went out of no where. Drove it fine one day parked it in a lot came outside and had a pool of coolant on the ground. What i did to figure it out was I took the coolant tank cap off put a rubber cap on it with a hole and with an air hose put alittle pressure in it and it was east to tell where the leak was. I also had an issue at another time with a small pin hole in one of the front radiators. I suggest taking the front bumper off and checking both of them and all the hoses in fittings in that area. Good luck man.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM
UPDATE
drove the car around the other day. when i pulled up and parked the car, i saw smoke coming from the engine.

popped the hood and saw coolant on the left side. still have no idea where the leak is. have not driven the car since.

i am thinking about taking it back to the shop for another pressure test.

any thoughts?
and thanks for all the help guys

Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
Your coolant tank is cracked and is leaking. Look under the drivers side tail pipe and see if it shows sign of stains from the slight drip that is leaking along the muffler and making its way down to the tailpipe. My light was blinking on and I was adding coolant too. My leak was boiling off when it hit the HOT muffler and tailpipe and never made it to the ground until one day when it was parked and I found a puddle under the car.

THE COOLANT TANK!!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Coolant tank, Burp valve, or AOS.
I just had my burp valve and AOS replaced because of a coolant leak. Was not cheap at the stealership.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
thanks guys

what is the best angle to look for the leak? do i need to jack the car and get underneath? i tried laying on the ground and looking but there is not much clearance.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Tank cracks on the bottom/backside. Can't really see it. If there is coolant residue on the frame rail below it, the tank is bad. If the tank is yellow.....you can pretty much bet it is cracked. Tank should be white.

Replace the tank and also change to the updated black style tank cap. Throw the blue one away.