996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche North Scottsdale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Mullypro is infamous around these parts
Porsche North Scottsdale

I am headed down Monday to pick up an 04 C4S Cabrio and i am very excited about it. This is a CPO vehicle. I asked the dealer if all dealers prepare the vehicle to the same level before certification. He stated "no" but that his dealership is consistently number 1 or 2 in the nation for satisfied customers. Ok, so there may be some correlation there but it wasn't what I was asking.

I have dug in to find that information and I can't. Before I go back to the dealer and get their side I was wondering if anyone knows a place I can research Porsche Dealer Rankings across the USA? Anyone ever dealt with this dealer? I suspect things will be just fine.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 AM
strat10 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mullypro
I am headed down Monday to pick up an 04 C4S Cabrio and i am very excited about it. This is a CPO vehicle. I asked the dealer if all dealers prepare the vehicle to the same level before certification. He stated "no" but that his dealership is consistently number 1 or 2 in the nation for satisfied customers. Ok, so there may be some correlation there but it wasn't what I was asking.

I have dug in to find that information and I can't. Before I go back to the dealer and get their side I was wondering if anyone knows a place I can research Porsche Dealer Rankings across the USA? Anyone ever dealt with this dealer? I suspect things will be just fine.

Thanks for the help!

Mark
Awesome! you will love it! Im guessing a CPO is a CPO. Enjoy that warranty!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
RugRunner is infamous around these parts
Just keep your eyes open with them. I called on a Targa they had there, they said they had all the paperwork, etc etc. I asked if it had the RMS/IMS service done...turns out they didn't have half of what they said they did. Later, found another 6Speeder who test drove the exact same car and posted up about it...turns out, after the test drive, the dealer sales person parked it over a drain so the coolant wouldn't get all over the pavement... Not all dealers or cars are bad, not at all. Just keep in mind, they want to sell even worse than you want to buy. Most important, have a PPI done...someplace other than the dealer selling the car. Don't be overly worried, just be overly informed and aware. Just my $0.02 from past experience with a different car, not a Porsche, thankfully!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RugRunner
Just keep your eyes open with them. I called on a Targa they had there, they said they had all the paperwork, etc etc. I asked if it had the RMS/IMS service done...turns out they didn't have half of what they said they did. Later, found another 6Speeder who test drove the exact same car and posted up about it...turns out, after the test drive, the dealer sales person parked it over a drain so the coolant wouldn't get all over the pavement... Not all dealers or cars are bad, not at all. Just keep in mind, they want to sell even worse than you want to buy. Most important, have a PPI done...someplace other than the dealer selling the car. Don't be overly worried, just be overly informed and aware. Just my $0.02 from past experience with a different car, not a Porsche, thankfully!
lol, that was me, i live right next to the dealership, a stone throw away!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Playersexpress is infamous around these parts
I wouldnt trust Porsche of North Scottsdale, I flew out from Chicago and bought a 99 996 Cabriolet from them, they had all the paperwork as stated because the owner serviced the vehicle only at Porsche dealerships. Bought in Seattle, serviced at the dealership where purchased for 2 years, then he moved to Phoenix and had the car serviced at Scottsdale for the rest of the cars life until he traded in on a 997.

Cut to the chase, they told me it had no paint or body work done. They lied.

I spent 3 MONTHS looking for the right car after my Boxster was vandalized! It had to have service history and paperwork, well maintained, all the options on my list, no paint work, no body work, no accidents.

I would have walked away from the car if I knew this........

The clear coat on my passenger mirror is coming off, the rear deck lid and convertible panel were repainted along with the driver door and driver rear quarter were repainted.

There is checkering in the paint on the door and rear quarter (spiderweb cracks) showing up (12 total now), 3 indy shops say they commonly start to appear within 3-6 months of a repaint because of bad prep work.

Calling their service department, I asked about how they inspect cars brought in on trade. They use a laser paint meter to gauge if panels were repainted or not, and a skilled tech goes over the car. (My local dealer sales manager was the one who told me those panels were repainted when I went in to get a quick value for it on a trade on a Limited Ed. Box they have on their lot).

Long story short, THEY KNEW 5 PANELS WERE REPAINTED RECENTLY because they not only serviced the car, they took it in on trade and to get a CORRECT VALUE for the car, an EXPERIENCED mechanic/tech/manager/valuator needs to know if paint or body work was ever done, and they CAN TELL, ITS THEIR JOB.

I would have walked away from the car, now its going to cost me $1400-1600 to fix.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM! If you like the car, have a PPI done at an INDY SHOP. That was my mistake because of the service history they offered and the good reputation I found on them.

Adam

Last edited by Playersexpress; 03-31-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM
tinbeach is infamous around these parts
I just registered here to respond to your post. I frequent the rennlist board normally. I have had my 2002 Targa for the past 2 years, and have only purchased parts from Porsche of North Scottsdale. (Their parts department has always been excellent) This is not because I didn't try. The Penske dealership group in that location (Porsche and BMW at least) appears to me to only cater to those they perceive as being able to purchase one of their vehicles. My wife and I were in there last weekend to look at buying her a new 328i coupe and the sales guy treated both of us like kids. Last time I checked many 30 year olds can purchase these vehicles. We purchased 2 days later in California. Anyways, (off my soap box) I would be very hesitant buying anything but parts from them. They are simply too arrogant and traits like this usually have other undesirable complements.

If you want to go through with the purchase Frank Beck own's a shop nearby that I would highly recommend. (480) 556-6572 He could give you an outside ppi if you wanted. Best of luck with your decision and I hope it all works out well.

-Tim

Last edited by tinbeach; 03-31-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Just sent an email to Beck's. I am hoping they will transport the car to and from the dealership for me to complete the PPI.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 AM
I'll stay tuned to find out what happens. I'm curious of Porsche of North Scottsdale's policy or attitude on having an outside independent look over one of their cars. Beck has been around Phoenix for years so I'm sure they know of him. They are also only about a 10 minute drive apart.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
I had a problem last summer, the starter would crank really slow after the engine was hot. They had the car 2 days could not duplicate my problem, could not diagnose what was wrong. Told me they found nothing wrong and id not charge me a penny, I was surprised. The other service work I've had done in the past has alway been 100% perfect. Parts dept is excellent as well.

No comment on sales.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 AM
PNS is having a lot attendant drop off the car this morning. Becks is charging $215 which seems very reasonable. PNS tried telling me I was waisting my money as CPO cars are pedigree cars with no paint work,etc. That I should use the $300 or so for a nice dinner. I must admit I did feel very secure in the CPO warranty. I called Becks to let them know it was coming. She shared with me a story. Just the other day they had a turbo in which should have been AWD but it wasn't(the car wasn't from PNS but another dealer she didn't reveal). The prospective buyer had no idea and it obviously had never been disclosed. Anyway, thank you guys. I feel much better knowing the inspection is to take place.

Last edited by Mullypro; 04-01-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Swing by here and we can add a ECU Flash and exhaust

Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Good Results

PPI revealed the following:

Airbag light out

Small dent RF fender (just in forward of door), Dent RT rear fender (wheel arch), small dent LT door (lower center), RT rear 1/4 panel -
Paint is dry (painted?).-somewhat shocked that the dent doctor hasn't worked it over. Frank Beck said the car was perfect underneath. The fender had to be something surface like being keyed or scratched somehow. That the orange peel wasn't evident as should be. He recommended color sanding and thought that would take care of it.

FT brake pads approx 50% left, RR brake pads approx 70% left-I asked PNS what the requirement was to be certified and they said 50% or more. Porsche of Livermore in CA said they have to be new. I guess the requirements do vary by dealership.

Needs cab top cover weatherstripping (P&L $96)-on the fiber glass lid, very slight chaffing on cab top.

Ignition cycles: range 1- 1493 (normal), range 2 - 0 1260 operating hours-the greatest news of the whole PPI. Not ONE over rev. Frank thought Grandma might have owned it

So overall, I am thrilled. I passed on the information to David Schnrich at Porsche North Scottsdale to see what they will do for me. You bet I will post up.

If anyone is ever in need of a great shop in the Scottsdale area see Frank Beck at Beck's European. He actually has two locations: 8225 E. Butherus, Scottsdale, AZ. 85260 | 10802 N Cave Creek Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85020. You can always call ahead at 480-556-6572. And, I am no way affiliated with him. I merely went with him at the suggestion earlier in the thread. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
Swing by here and we can add a ECU Flash and exhaust
Won't the flash void the CPO warranty? The exhaust on it is the upgraded sport exhaust as I understand it. Someone correct me if I am wrong but that is how it was stated to me as I recall. I have heard of Porsche Motorsound exhaust (had it on my 993) and an exhaust that has baffles that can open and close but I thought this second exhaust came out later than 2004. So I am assuming it is the Motorsound.

Either way, I plan to enjoy the foreplay before modifying but thanks for the invitation.

Last edited by Mullypro; 04-01-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Great to hear all worked out! Have a great trip home after picking up the car. You might want to stick around and enjoy the weather for the next week, however. This is the time of the year it is nice to be in AZ before the triple digits hit.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Mother is infamous around these parts
I get parts ONLY and that dept is great on helping, as for the rest

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche North Scottsdale