996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Is the 996 a maintenance nightmare?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Is the 996 a maintenance nightmare?

I currently drive a C5 Z06 and am lusting after a 996 (probably a C2) for an additional car in a year or so. Now, I know any car model has common problems, I have read about a couple like RMS failures for the 996, but my Z has a list a page long and it feels like I am always wrenching on it and I haven't even started modding it yet.

I will probably keep the Z as a modded toy to play with and keep the 996 stock.

I guess the question is should I expect to have to turn my wrenches every weekend on the 996 to keep it 100% or is it more likely that I will just experience a few issues over the course of ownership (I know every car is different).

Thanks for the insight.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:14 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wyovino
This might be the answer you're looking for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
What part of my post sounds like I am trolling?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
aemr1968 is infamous around these parts
I bought mine (996) 14 months ago with 80k miles with the intention of restoring it (engine was replaced with a new one at about 40k miles though). I've put 20k+ miles on it since then and have taken it to the shop a few times... Very minor fixes but not cheap (I'd say about $6500):
- gas pedal
- oil separator
- water pump
- window regulator and motor
- lower arm
- 90k service
- convertible top, headliner and seals.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by aemr1968
I bought mine (996) 14 months ago with 80k miles with the intention of restoring it (engine was replaced with a new one at about 40k miles though). I've put 20k+ miles on it since then and have taken it to the shop a few times... Very minor fixes but not cheap (I'd say about $6500):
- gas pedal
- oil separator
- water pump
- window regulator and motor
- lower arm
- 90k service
- convertible top, headliner and seals.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Doesn't seem too bad for 20k. When I get one it will probably take me four years to put on that kind of mileage. I think I have driven about 2k in the last year in my Z and have a list of repairs I have made at least that long.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by wyovino
How about the title?

Is it true you stopped beating your wife?
You're not making any sense. At least the other guy has been helpful.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM
jeneric996 is infamous around these parts
RMS is not that bad. It is just a seal; the expense is you have to remove the tranny to get to it. This would cost about $1,000.

I recommend buying the newest one within your budget and get a pre-purchase inspection.

I think the worse problem is the IMS (intermediate shaft bearing) failure. Although this is not suppose to be common and perhaps limited to about 5 or 10%, mine went at 23,000 miles. Porsche gave me a new, remanufactured one that has been stronger than the original one. This would have cost about $15,000. I now have 63,000 miles.

This "new" one has had two water pump replacements within 2.5 years apart. Porsche covered the first one under my extended warranty. It woud have costed about $1100. I did the second one myself for about $450 in parts which included other services like spark plugs.

A good site if you work the on the car yourself is www.renntech.org

996 had a major change in 2002 like increased HP, suspension and bumpers etc.
The IMS was eliminated with MY 2009.

If you buy a pre-2005 996, you can upgrade the IMS bearing with a LN Engineering kit. My reman engine uses the newest factory IMS bearing so I cannot upgrade it without a complete teardown. This was changed sometime in 2005.

If you get a 2004 or older 996, I would get the upgraded LN Engineering bearing kit. You can also do the clutch and RMS at the same time to save labor costs.

Overall, the cost is not too bad.

Have fun shopping.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by jeneric996
I think the worse problem is the IMS (intermediate shaft bearing) failure. Although this is not suppose to be common and perhaps limited to about 5 or 10%, mine went at 23,000 miles. Porsche gave me a new, remanufactured one that has been stronger than the original one. This would have cost about $15,000. I now have 63,000 miles.
From the ads I have looked at I see some advertising new engines that were replaced by Porsche and the seem similarly priced to the cars not advertising replaced engines. Since the replacements have some components upgraded to me it seems like the better deal to buy one of those cars.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM
jeneric996 is infamous around these parts
Since the replacements have some components upgraded to me it seems like the better deal to buy one of those cars
I absolutely agree because 996s will not be collectors any time soon.

If Porsche installed the engine and the owner or a third-party like an insurance company paid for the replacement, you also get a two-year warranty with unlimited mileage from Porsche. This two-years start from the day it was installed.

This engine will also have the latest upgrades at the time of the install.

When I bought my 996 back in 2003, I was very tempted in the ZO6. 505 hp = fun!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
My 996 is one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. It's not a maintenance nightmare at all.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
It depends on how the car was taken care of. I find the 996 so far after 6 months of ownership to be very reliable..even oil changes are relative, first i thought they were $200 at least, turns out there are places will do it for $79 with OEM parts

Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
The 996 is a very reliable vehicle - and has been recognized as such:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35926104/ns/business-autos/
http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2...liability.html

Yes, there are issues. The IMS is the major one you will find with any research of the car.

I agree with jeneric996, buy the newest you can afford - and budget to have the IMS replaced with the LNE replacement (might as well get the clutch done at the same time).

Last edited by Fozzybear; 04-11-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 AM
From everyones comments it sounds like the car has what I am looking for in terms of reliability. It would only be a semi DD, probably 3 days a week. I expect to have to put a little more maintenance effort than a Camry but I just don't want a project waiting for me every weekend.

Originally Posted by jeneric996
I absolutely agree because 996s will not be collectors any time soon.
My guess is the 996 will probably be the least desirable in the future but one reason I want one over a more "sensible" car is in the course of the last couple years that I have been casually looking at ads the prices have not dropped below a certain threshold so even though the 996's don't seem to have the values of say a 993 it does seem that I could drive a 996 for 25k miles over 5 years and only take a 10 percent hit whereas I would probably take a 50-70% hit on a car like a G35. The best part would be driving a 911 the whole time.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
SinKing: I am in the same situation - reading everything I can find about the 996 and it's good and bad points. I fell into the trap of thinking the 996's are trouble - but in reality I think their track record is much better. People with 996 problems will post to the various forums -- people with trouble-free cars tend not to.

Sorry that you're having trouble with the Z06 - I had always thought Vettes were bullet-proof!!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Slik560
SinKing: I am in the same situation - reading everything I can find about the 996 and it's good and bad points. I fell into the trap of thinking the 996's are trouble - but in reality I think their track record is much better. People with 996 problems will post to the various forums -- people with trouble-free cars tend not to.
Pretty much the only issues that came to mind for me were the IMS and RMS failure. I just wanted to make sure there weren't a whole host of other common issues before I start putting money away with the hopes of getting a 996.

Sorry that you're having trouble with the Z06 - I had always thought Vettes were bullet-proof!!
The engines are great. The car will never leave you stranded until your column lock malfunctions. That is a $50 aftermarket part to bypass. The other things are just real nuisances. ABS/AH/TC issues, HUD issues, clutch fluid issues, oil pressure sensor, valve springs, fuel level sensors...

Right now I am working on fixing the electronic brake control module. I dissected it and found a bad coil for one of the ABS solenoids. Now I just have to find a coil or pay $700 for a rebuilt module.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
I would go as far as saying that the 996 is one of the best performance buys you can find for the price. Like any performance car, its reliability and maintenance costs vary widely depending on how it's been treated and maintained.

It is possible that fewer issues are related to MY '02 and later (the second generation 996). I have only spent money on routine & preventative maintenance. No doubt that other things will come up. But -- I like everything about the car....so, when it finally needs something, I won't care.

As others have said, unless someone has receipts for the IMS upgrade, just pocket about $2700 - $4000 for some updates when you get the car; do them; then forget it and figure it will be solid indefinitely. It's easy to find the list of RMS/IMS/AOS/clutch, etc. -- and just have them done at once.

Some owners baulk at the update cost when they think they're putting that into a $20-30k car. But they're not. They're doing that to an $80-$95k car....that they happened to get cheap. If you've come from a performance background, you're aware that entertainment costs. But--it's nice to feel like the basic car is solid, that you're getting good value for the money. The 996 is an exceptional car, around town or on the track. It's a car of balance--not extremes. It will be an interesting contrast to the Z.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the 996 a maintenance nightmare?