996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wife hates my 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Hold for 09

Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
r9g
r9g is infamous around these parts
I would go for a newer model (WIFE, that is).....

Old 04-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Beaglehusky is a jewel in the roughBeaglehusky is a jewel in the roughBeaglehusky is a jewel in the rough
That bites. I get some grief every once in a while because it's a sports car and I'm almost 40. That and the fact that it's not the most practical car for a family, even if you have another car.

I recently drove a Panamera as a loaner while my car was at the dealership. I can tell you that although I could feel the car's power and it was a very comfortable ride, it didn't quite feel right. I enjoy the "feel" of the 911, but that is definitely an acquired taste.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 AM
AgentS2000 is infamous around these parts
I love... this thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
This is easy....

Tell her that you're thinking of her.....

So, you're getting a newer car that will ride softer (electronic suspension....so you can switch it to comfort; sport when it's just you) and is quieter (PSE -- so you can quiet it for her), nicer stereo for pleasant music -- and would she like a sunroof or full convertible for those nice summer evening rides together?

You're doing it all for her.

(and yes, an '09 is worth it, but since you're doing it for her, you can do it sooner at a higher price.....you just can't stand having a car she doesn't like....this purchase is one of the many ways you show you care. When she's in the car, drive it like a stretch limo.)

Last edited by RF5BPilot; 04-26-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Sometimes women dislike things that compete with them for your time or affection. Hasn't happend with me in over 35 years of marriage but I've seen it plenty.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Too bad it's not possible to trade in wives like we do vehicles.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 AM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
so true...same here..

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
AusRedNeck is infamous around these parts
RF5BPILOT makes some great points.

How can she refuse if you make it about her. If that doesn't work go for the it's better to ask forgiveness than permission route.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Axeman has a spectacular aura aboutAxeman has a spectacular aura aboutAxeman has a spectacular aura about
My wife and I hate reading threads like this. When you read stuff like "if I do this she will leave or if I don't sell my car she will leave etc" means only one thing: you're in the wrong relationship. My wife is from Germany, we own a Porsche related business and she spends more money on Porsche parts than on shoes and clothes. If it was up to her we'd probably have 20+ Porsches (if we had the money of course lol). But seriously this goes beyond the 911, if you get rid of the car it will be something else in 6 months, then she will just ask you to get rid of your manhood for all you know. It's just not a healthy relationship. That's just my opinion of course don't want to turn your thread into a Dr Phil episode, but whatever you do I would keep the car if you enjoy driving, and that's the end of it. Wish you the best of luck whatever you decide!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 PM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
My wife had a Boxster S and now a 996. But... it is JUST a car.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Axeman
My wife and I hate reading threads like this. When you read stuff like "if I do this she will leave or if I don't sell my car she will leave etc" means only one thing: you're in the wrong relationship. My wife is from Germany, we own a Porsche related business and she spends more money on Porsche parts than on shoes and clothes. If it was up to her we'd probably have 20+ Porsches (if we had the money of course lol). But seriously this goes beyond the 911, if you get rid of the car it will be something else in 6 months, then she will just ask you to get rid of your manhood for all you know. It's just not a healthy relationship. That's just my opinion of course don't want to turn your thread into a Dr Phil episode, but whatever you do I would keep the car if you enjoy driving, and that's the end of it. Wish you the best of luck whatever you decide!
The Axeman has spoken, he needs to lay the axe down. I too don't understand a relationship like this. Is it worth it? Only the OP knows.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LCid
I bought my first 911, a 1999 C2, in August as a weekend/fun car and absolutely love it. The car is in great shape mechanically, mileage is not bad, and my mechanic gave it two thumbs up on the PPI (after two others I looked at failed the PPI). My wife, however, hates it. It is too small, too loud and (shocker) doesn't ride like her Lexus RX. She doesn't understand why I like it, and can't believe I spent money on it. If I buy another one, there's a good chance she will go off the deep end and leave me.

My question is this: with a $55,000 price target, should I go for a 2007 C2 now or are the 2009's enough of an improvement that I should wait a couple of years for them to come down into my price range?

Thanks in advance.
sorry to say that, but be a man, ffs!
i have a life, my girl has one and we have a life together, that´s 3!!! things. i let her live her life with shoes, fingernails, Desperate Housewifes, expensive phone bills etc. and she needs to accept mine with cars, Clint Eastwood movies and sports sports sports. if she would begin to tell me to stop one of these things, that i have been enjoying all my life, i would say: are you effin crazy? if not, there´s the door!

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 04-26-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Axeman has a spectacular aura aboutAxeman has a spectacular aura aboutAxeman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ynot
The Axeman has spoken, he needs to lay the axe down. I too don't understand a relationship like this. Is it worth it? Only the OP knows.
that's funny! Seriously though it's sad when guys give up their toys, or dreams and such for a women. No woman in the world is worth that I don't care who they are and my wife agrees with me 100% (she reads the forums also).

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NOLA911
That's a shame about the wife.. .what does the girlfriend think?

I can't imagine the OP's pain. I'm trying to talk my wife out of getting 2012 GT-R. She also is a HUGE fan of 911's, and R8's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wife hates my 911