996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Just bought a new shifter & boot - can I install this myself

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Just bought a new shifter & boot - can I install this myself

Great price from our friends at suncoast...how easy is it to install or replace my old one with this?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...saletequipment

Not very handy nor do I have any car tools...

Any DIY out there? I can't find one with the searches...

thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
2300cc is infamous around these parts2300cc is infamous around these parts
I think you would certainly be able to handle this yourself.
The boot is secured to a ring which has tabs that snap into place in the console. You just have to pop the ring up using a plastic pry bar or even your fingers. Now I am not positive how that **** attaches but on my 03, once you pop the boot and slide it up it will reveal an allen bolt, all you have to do is loosen that bolt and the whole ****/boot assembly will come right off.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I just put one of those in my C4S to replace my worn shifter ****. There is a small allen bolt that holds it in place.

This is a simple DIY that should take you less than 5 minutes.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Thanks - can I use a flat screwdriver to pry up the boot then? Any specific area where the boot tabs would be? Just dont want to mess anything up...

thanks for the reply!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Look at the bottom of the new one and you'll see exactly where they are. Once the tabs are loose, you can lift the boot up over the **** to access the bolt. A flat head screwdriver should be fine, just be careful not to scratch the plastic on your console.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 PM
thanks - I hope this is as easy as it sounds! :-)

Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I got mine off with my fingers. Just pop it off and unscrew the small set screw and put the new one in.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
How did you make out?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
If you use a screwdriver, wrap the tip in tape first for it doesn't scratch or damage the trim ring. If you can, use a rubber spatula from the kitchen drawer it will be a better choice. It's an easy DIY. Check on line for B&M shift kit installation and it will show pictures of the removal process of the ring and shifter ****.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Guys - I am having trouble getting the shifter off...I am pulling really hard but its not really moving...any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:28 PM
What does your **** look like now? Does it have a set screw? From what I understand the ones that do not have a set screw you really have to pull on it with some muscle to get off. But I have never worked on one with this type of ****.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:18 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
If there is no screw, just keep pulling. It's wedged REALLY tight. It took me a while to get up the courage to rip it off. Just don't hit yourself in the head when it comes free.

-td

Old 05-20-2011, 04:00 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
oh yes.... the tug as hard as you can and hope you dont break your nose method. I did this when replacing my shifter in a BMW. it was a wedge type fitment shifter. If i had to guess i used about 90pounds of grunt to pull it off... when it let go.... i smacked my nose broken. My wife still gives me crap about that night. im jst glad she didnt take pictures.

Last edited by scantu; 05-20-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Voodoo08 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by scantu
oh yes.... the tug as hard as you can and hope you dont break your nose method. I did this when replacing my shifter in a BMW. it was a wedge type fitment shifter. If i had to guess i used about 90pounds of grunt to pull it off... when it let go.... i smacked my nose broken. My wife still gives me crap about that night. im jst glad she didnt take pictures.
This had me laughing

Old 05-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Got it! No broken nose but I got a big cut on my hand that eventually flew into the roof/sunshade.

Ahh, the injuries we go thru as P owners!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a new shifter & boot - can I install this myself