996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New 996 Carrera Turbo Kit Released by Vivid Racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Dharma is infamous around these parts
Hi there,
O.K. I'm now on the 996 Turbo forum... whew.... Now, yes it's possible to make the turbo's smaller so the spool will be faster in the low end.... But, doesn't that mean I will lose it in the top end? There's no variable vanes in the 996 so to still have a car that's RELIABLE and trying to just get more low end turbo.... is it really possible without using kind of 'winging it' with all the adjustments and holes etc.? No offense to anyone, but I don't need larger turbos since all that would do was give me more turbo at the usual line of RPM's. It's plenty fast.... I just need something, if there really is something? To give me turbo earlier without losing the top end turbo too. That's I guess what I honestly need to find out. I mean BMW put like plenty of smaller turbos in there With the larger turbo's and I don't want something that ridiculous in my beautiful Porsche! So, being not as knowledgeable but finally getting some of the meaning of the larger/smaller variable vanes etc. I'm wondering if it's really possible to get the turbos to just spool at a lower RPM and still not lose the rest. Is that a good way to convey what I hope can be found?

Thanks to all,

Richard

Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks, still too complicated since I'm not a mechanic, ha ha... I'm just finally guessing, learning and seeing the light of the plus/minus of basic turbo's without the variable vanes, ha ha... different driving, to say the least.....

Richard

Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Call me, will advise you.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
I have one very important thing to tell you. Actually three. Switzer ... Value ... Package. Also known as the P700 value package. You'll never regret it. Small Billet turbos. Over 600 whp. Perfect. Check it out. It really is a completely awesome budget minded package. Vivid sells similar setup too. Might as well ask them
Originally Posted by Dharma
Thanks, still too complicated since I'm not a mechanic, ha ha... I'm just finally guessing, learning and seeing the light of the plus/minus of basic turbo's without the variable vanes, ha ha... different driving, to say the least.....

Richard

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi guys,
i talked with chris to Helmet at renn today and he was kind of vague about what to do with the 996 I've got to boost the low end turbo. Someone was mentioning the 700 special but I can't remember where that was from. I just need to get the 996 to have better low end turbo instead of putting larger turbo's in it and getting more lag and more top end power. Any suggestions?
Richard

Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
Switzer P700
Originally Posted by Dharma
Hi guys,
i talked with chris to Helmet at renn today and he was kind of vague about what to do with the 996 I've got to boost the low end turbo. Someone was mentioning the 700 special but I can't remember where that was from. I just need to get the 996 to have better low end turbo instead of putting larger turbo's in it and getting more lag and more top end power. Any suggestions?
Richard

Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 PM
First of all, I appoligize for saying the Helmet gave me vague answers... he was probably just ready to go home when I called him, plus Chris was also asking him about 997 and 996 too, so there wasn't a good conversation going. I'll probably go for the switzer and look at that site since I got a recommendation. but, i know that Porsche will still back all the stuff from Renn also, so that means something too! there's not really a simple way of getting more turbo at a lower RPM unless I start learning some more things about it. The really great mechanic at Porsche, and a few more people have given me enough information to make me realize that THEY know more than I especially! One thing I have to do is get a couple of weeks into my 996 since it was in a garage for probably 5 years before I got it and it probably needs some airing! I'm thinking there actually may be some computer mapping that would change a few things, at least that's what I seem to be gathering. I've learned this:
1.) no intercoolers - unless I want more lag
2.) no larger turbo's since I have plenty of top end speed already... I'm not trying to top out fast I just want low end turbo instead of waiting for the spool.
3.)I'm going to see what is reliable, and it well backed by people doing it for awhile and I'm sure there are others who want more low end turbo besides me.

But, I also wouldn't put black wheels on my car either.... Beautiful quality are porsches... they deserve to find the best from the people who really know what they're doing instead of facing some unreliable system that is more talk than actualization. Keep giving me information and I'll make it! Thanks everyone!

Richard

Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Sounds neat! But I'm not in Ca. either! Just another question: i already have the really nice AWE chip, the racing plennum and the cold air. also the diverters. What is the main thing I can do (have done) that would juice it up without redoing everything? Thanks,
Richard

Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Ha ha... Thanks Steve. I didn't mean I was expecting the famous 1st gear of my porsche to be like all the other 1st gears... I'm just trying to get the low end to have more, I guess spooling to start with instead of waiting for the higher rpm's before it kicks in. So, if I got some intercoolers from awe would they not simply put cooler air in to begin with to actually give me more lag to start with? That's what someone told me from here... my mechanic. Others tell me that it would help, so I'm kinda confused. I'm not a rocket scientist on Porsches, but I kept thinking that cooler air going in would help? Just give me your number and I'll call you to talk about it. Thanks,
Richard
646 824 4333

Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Please, anything that is not related to the 996 Carrera kit, please post outside of this thread.

Back on topic.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM
996_newbie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vividracing
Please, anything that is not related to the 996 Carrera kit, please post outside of this thread.

Back on topic.
Have you guys learned to tune the 99 yet? Do you have recommendations on who should do this tune if you still do not?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Former Vendor
Your other option is to go with a VF Supercharger as they do tune the 99. Let me know!

Last edited by vividracing; 01-31-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:03 AM
thankswww is infamous around these parts
I checked out this kit on the Vivid site, and found my way here. I've been looking for this type of setup and have seemingly come to the right place.

Couple of questions for Vivid regarding this specific kit. I've installed several turbo kits on several cars, Audi, Honda, VW dune buggies, Subarus and Toyotas. I actually work as a diesel mechanic and tear down, repair and rebuild turbo diesel generators frequently, as well as the occasional 6.5L humvee. Anyhow;

Here are my questions:

1. Can you tell me about the oil supply and return for this kit? Where is oil supplied from to cool the turbo,and where does it go back to?

2. Regarding the ECU tune, I understand it is done through the OBDII port. Do the "programs" come on a CD or via email, or will I need to flash it "live" over a wireless connection? I ask because there is no internet access in or near the garage bays.

3. Regarding special tools required to perform modifications for the install of this kit; aside from what a fully equipped mechanic would have, including lifts, pneumatic tools, standard auto mechanic full tool sets etc, and what I assume would be something needed to cut through the rear bumper enforcement bar, what else might the installer be expected to have on hand to complete the install?

4. There is a hole which appears to have been cut out of the steel in the engine by to accommodate the lower intercooler pipe. Aside from this and the bumper re-enforcement bar, does any other OEM sheet metal need to be cut?

5. And finally, though its not mentioned on the Vivid site, I assume that this kit comes with some type of reference booklet or instruction guide to identify all the small parts such as hoses, valves, clamps etc? Is it an instruction guide, or simply a listing of all parts?

Thanks for your attention to these questions.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor
All answers below in red.

Originally Posted by thankswww
I checked out this kit on the Vivid site, and found my way here. I've been looking for this type of setup and have seemingly come to the right place.

Couple of questions for Vivid regarding this specific kit. I've installed several turbo kits on several cars, Audi, Honda, VW dune buggies, Subarus and Toyotas. I actually work as a diesel mechanic and tear down, repair and rebuild turbo diesel generators frequently, as well as the occasional 6.5L humvee. Anyhow;

Here are my questions:

1. Can you tell me about the oil supply and return for this kit? Where is oil supplied from to cool the turbo,and where does it go back to? The oil feed line is tapped into an allen plug on the drivers side head. The return line from the turbo goes into a scavenge pump we supply and then tap into a freeze plug on the bottom of either head .

2. Regarding the ECU tune, I understand it is done through the OBDII port. Do the "programs" come on a CD or via email, or will I need to flash it "live" over a wireless connection? I ask because there is no internet access in or near the garage bays. The flash process requires internet, see here www.vrtuned.com/installation

3. Regarding special tools required to perform modifications for the install of this kit; aside from what a fully equipped mechanic would have, including lifts, pneumatic tools, standard auto mechanic full tool sets etc, and what I assume would be something needed to cut through the rear bumper enforcement bar, what else might the installer be expected to have on hand to complete the install? Nothing more then that besides common sense

4. There is a hole which appears to have been cut out of the steel in the engine by to accommodate the lower intercooler pipe. Aside from this and the bumper re-enforcement bar, does any other OEM sheet metal need to be cut? No and we even supply templates on how and where to cut.

5. And finally, though its not mentioned on the Vivid site, I assume that this kit comes with some type of reference booklet or instruction guide to identify all the small parts such as hoses, valves, clamps etc? Is it an instruction guide, or simply a listing of all parts? There is no instruction booklet, we have documented all the install steps in a gallery that is on the product page. Any questions we can address them easily.

Thanks for your attention to these questions.

Last edited by vividracing; 02-02-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 PM
01blackm3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vividracing
Softronic does not tune the 99 cars at all. With that being said, their are other tuners that will flash the drive by cable cars and any of them if experience can tune the car on the dyno. So we an sell you the kit less the tune.

Your other option is to go with a VF Supercharger as they do tune the 99. Let me know!
Can you please PM me the price of the turbo kit less the tune. I have a 99 C2 that is drive by cable.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 996 Carrera Turbo Kit Released by Vivid Racing