996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Is it normal for mechanics to not use parts you purchase yourself?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 PM
dwhs is infamous around these parts
Is it normal for mechanics to not use parts you purchase yourself?

I can get the same parts online for 1/3 of what these mechanics are charging.

Why do they insist on using parts they buy?

I hate to say it but it seems like a blatant rip off scam to overcharge for parts.

Is there another reason per say?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
my Indy here in Toronto, Canada encourages me to get parts from the US, coz they are double teh price here. And when there is Emergency and he has to buy parts locally and installs it, he tell me not to go online and compare prices, he said you will just tortue yourself... He gave a List of parts to get for Winter Prep, he is like you have 4 months to buy these parts and save a bunch!

Old 05-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if they are going to warranty the work they want to select parts that they know will not fail...if you want to tell a shop that they don't have to warranty the work if they use your parts and you put it in writing you can likely find someone that will use your parts...I find that quality parts don't cost me any more if my mechanic gets them or if I get them myself...there are cheaper parts out there but I wouldn't put them on my car....the other side of the coin is that there are shops out there that will charge you an arm and a leg and then use the crap parts besides...you should avoid them like the plague...when you get a bid for work ask the shop specifically what parts (oem or aftermarket by who and get part numbers if you can) they are going to use and then see if you can price those specific parts any cheaper...if they are only slightly marked up (don't forget shipping costs) it is worth it for warrantied work...if there is a big markup go somewhere else...try to put yourself in the mechanics position...would you want to have to warranty a job when some guy comes in off the street with a bunch of used parts he got on the internet?...those types of jobs always end up being a loser for the shop as they try to make a bunch of hodge podge parts work properly...there are reputable shops out there that will not gouge you for high quality parts and will fully warranty their work...it is up to you to find one

Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
yeah because they dont want to guarantee something you bought, but if they dont offer a warranty when they install their parts then it shouldn't matter....

Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 PM
The parts I am getting are Bosche, the mechanics are Porsche OEM

I am happy with Bosche and trust them. I just don't see the issue to use Bosche parts new that I get. And I already said he does not have to warranty the work but he still wants to get the parts himself at twice the cost.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:06 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
do you bring your own food to a restaurant?

After being a mechanic for 20+ years i can tell you why its a PIA..
if i put in some part that take 3 hours to install and fails before I can even back it out.
and call you and say need another part and 3 more hours labor..Your now really pissed
will bad mouth my shop to others, ETC.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:09 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tonka858

Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
i bring my Hot Sauce all the time... seriously!

Old 05-21-2011, 06:27 PM

After being a mechanic for 20+ years i can tell you why its a PIA..
if i put in some part that take 3 hours to install and fails before I can even back it out.
and call you and say need another part and 3 more hours labor..Your now really pissed
will bad mouth my shop to others, ETC.
3 more hours of labor would still be half the extra price for one for the four pieces.

Food has variables in every in every piece, where is was grown, how it was grown, how is was fed, how it was shipped, how it was stored.

With Bosche parts, there are no variables. It is the part and the same. And my job is 4 parts, to cover a whole meal at a restaurant you would have to bring about 50 things that hopefully you stored right and cut up right them to use. And the bags tobring it would look silly walking through the place when people are eating. Image is important for a restaurants rather a mechanic I would hope is not more worried about his decor then his customers.

Sorry I am sure you like to use that saying a lot. But the truth is it has no relevance to bringing car parts to a mechanic.

The only feasible explanation is to make more money off the parts.

If the mechanic was really **** they can say they only with with certain brands. But to write off all brands is silly.

Even more silly is why the mechanic will not just buy from the internet themselves of they are worried about.

I am a objective person, but I am going to a mechanic for the work not to visit an overcharged parts store. I don't mind paying more because he is ordering them and taking care of everything but 3-4 times the price is a sin. Actually $50% more is a sin in my book.

Last edited by dwhs; 05-21-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
of course they want to make money off the parts..

is the work you need done something you can do?

Ask them to discount the parts some.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:50 PM
of course they want to make money off the parts..

is the work you need done something you can do?

Ask them to discount the parts some.
What does me being able to do the work have to do with overpaying for parts?

Your saying I should overpay for parts, because I cannot do the work?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zookie
i bring my Hot Sauce all the time... seriously!
I bring my own bottle of HP! For gawds sakes,,, what is wrong with these restaurants!? They don't even know what it is!

Old 05-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
I am going to start bringing my own food, too. No one,,, NO ONE, cooks like my Mom!

Old 05-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
I am going to start bringing my own food, too. No one,,, NO ONE, cooks like my Mom!
buahahahah yea im really picky at resturants always order Custom off the Menu... some plces i go with the GF and i usually make reservation with the same server eveytime... no need for Menus they know what and how we like our dinner

Afterall im paying for it, you make it the way i want it *****!

Old 05-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by Zookie
buahahahah yea im really picky at resturants always order Custom off the Menu... some plces i go with the GF and i usually make reservation with the same server eveytime... no need for Menus they know what and how we like our dinner

Afterall im paying for it, you make it the way i want it *****!
I totally understand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it normal for mechanics to not use parts you purchase yourself?