996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LWFW and Gear Rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
LWFW and Gear Rattle

Hi all,

Just something that may be interesting to the group, this past winter during my many upgrades I installed the 2nd gear detent mod from GBox.

I didn't have any transmission issues, but figured it was preventative maintenance and I had the car in the air with all the under panels off already, etc.

Anyhoo... I did have a light weight flywheel installed about two years ago now and as we all know when the car is in neutral with the clutch out you get a nice gear rattle.

So back on the road now and one thing I've noticed is that the gear rattle is gone. Coincidence? Maybe...

Has anyone else that has installed the detent mod and has a LWFW noticed this?

Cheers
Aaron

Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM
bjarne996 is infamous around these parts
Interesting!

Personally, I have never heard of problems slipping out of 2nd gear on a 996, nor have I heard of the GBox solution. It would be interesting to know how it worked, do you know?

Thanks,
Bjarne

Old 06-01-2011, 12:56 PM
2300cc is infamous around these parts2300cc is infamous around these parts
I'm sure someone else will chime in but i believe the stock detent had such tight tolerances that it would cause some binding so GBOX corrected this by manufacturing their detent to a little looser tolerances.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
I have had a great experience with the detent from g-box.com. Second gear popped out at least twice a day for months. I thought for sure i had permenentely damaged something internal and installed the part while in for a clutch job. I have nearly 2 thousand miles on it since the install and have not experienced ONE pop out! i'd say the part works well!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
I find the shifting in and out of 2nd gear better since I did the modification. I didn't have a pop-out issue before but I did hear of it a lot.

So figured, what the heck.

The gear rattle thing is just an interesting coincidence. If someone has a LWFW and is sick of the noise, they may want to try this and see if it is replicated.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 AM
bjarne996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Purplxd
The gear rattle thing is just an interesting coincidence. If someone has a LWFW and is sick of the noise, they may want to try this and see if it is replicated.
Maybe the manufacturer knows if this could be the case? Have you asked them?

Thanks,
Bjarne

Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
WDC 911 is infamous around these parts
I really wish this was/is true! I'd love to end the LWFW rattle at idol.

Originally Posted by bjarne996
Maybe the manufacturer knows if this could be the case? Have you asked them?

Thanks,
Bjarne

Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Well it still hasn't returned....

Cheers
Aaron

Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 PM
WDC 911 is infamous around these parts
How much is it, btw. I didn't see a price on the website.

Originally Posted by Purplxd
Well it still hasn't returned....

Cheers
Aaron

Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM
I think it was around $200?

A