996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How do you pay for a 30K+ car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
There has been a lot of cashier's check fraud in recent years. But as others in this thread have said it's very easily preventable. All the seller has to do is call the issuing bank and they'll verify the check. That's it. Of course, never trust the phone number listed on the check itself. Look up the bank online, make sure it's a legitimate bank, and call them.

Cashier's checks are not subject to stop payments. The second you get the check issued, the money is taken out of your account. The only way to reverse it is to show up with the reciept and file a lost check report. There's a time window where they will make you wait (up to 30 days I believe) before they'll put the money back in your account. If the check is cashed during that hold and research window then the check wasn't lost and was spent by the party it was issued to.

The people who are scared of cashier's checks have watched too many episodes of Dateline and 60 Minutes.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 PM
The Dark Knight is infamous around these parts
Contrary to the other posts, Cashier's Checks CAN have stop payments placed on them. I have had a mid five figure Cashier's Check issued by Wells Fargo Bank cancelled by the bank after I received it from a vendor. Their reasoning was that the person whose account the check was drawn against used fraudulent funds in the form of a bad check to acquire it from them. The cashier's check was in their system and verified telephonically by their own branch manager; it was issued by/ drawn on them 100% and it was not a forgery. I too was under the impression that Cashier's Checks were as good as cash and not able to be cancelled. Simply put, that is not true.

Regards, TDK

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 06-30-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
i have used https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

very safe!!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM
RugRunner is infamous around these parts
Tdk, first I've heard of this. When I purchased, PNC was dead set on their bank checks needing to be cancelled by BOTH parties, buyer and seller (the seller of my 911 had voiced some initial concern) in order to be voided. The money went from my account, into theirs, cleared, then a check was issued from PNC to the seller. Wells Fargo's "oops, we didn't dot our i's and cross our T's" cancellation justification defense is BS, IMHO.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM
RugRunner is infamous around these parts
Cmer, that's just gangster. Too funny.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Paseb is infamous around these parts
certified check?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 PM
2001Porsche911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cmer
I'm in Canada and bought a car over the Internet in Ohio. They wouldn't take a cashier check or anything like that. I literally brought 27 grand in cash with me on the plane and paid in cash on delivery. I felt this was less risky that wiring money to some unknown car dealer in another country. Glad it didn't get stolen though. Let me tell you I held my bag pretty tight the whole trip!

Carrying all these 100s made me feel like in a movie!

Did the exact same thing as you for both my 911's, bought them off ebay and flew from Canada to US and just paid in cash as the dealer would not take anything else

Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
Bank Drafts are bought and paid for..... confirm the Bank Draft is genuine and you are good to go..... however.... I prefer Wire Transfers.... no argument there....

Old 07-06-2011, 01:54 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
I bot Pcar on Ebay, they provide up to $50k in lemon insurance if consummated on their platform, sent $1000 deposit via PayPal. Had seller deliver to local Pcar dealership for inspection, wired him the balance, and the dealer handled some minor service items and the pickup logistics in a closed trailer. Have repeated process 4 times now with variety of Ebay vehicles. Very easy and less headache than actually being there. Everybody is happy and covered.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM
nosatalian is infamous around these parts
cmer- that is awesome, but I wonder what would happen if they inspected your carryon and found the money, probably they would assume the worst.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 AM
cmer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nosatalian
cmer- that is awesome, but I wonder what would happen if they inspected your carryon and found the money, probably they would assume the worst.
Coming from Canada, I had to declare the money at customs when entering the USA. I had proof that I was buying a car so I doubt this would have been a problem.