996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Best Tune for a '99 C2 Cable throttle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:24 PM
francisr is infamous around these parts
Best Tune for a '99 C2 Cable throttle

I spoke with Jeff from Fabspeed today about doing a tune for my 1999 C2 Cable car and he had mentioned they would not use Evo as they typically do, because they send the '99 ECU's to another unnamed tuner who does a better job for 99s. This threw me for a loop and now I am unsure in which direction to go... I was pretty set on using Evo, but now I am wondering if anyone has specific recommendations on the 1999 C2 models? Softronic? GIAC? Thanks...

Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Please let us know if you've found any info. I'm in the same situation...

Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
Same boat here... been looking for good reviews for my 99C2 as well.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
I have the GIAC flash on my 99 C2 for 7 years now and its great... eliminates the lethargic spot from 3000-3500 and adds more zing above 4000 rpm for sure... good for about 20hp 20 ft/lbs of torque... good stuff

don't change your airbox; just upgrade your air filter to a B&M; the GIAC tune for 99 is designed to work with stock airbox... the EVO intake made my car slower and I returned it for a refund...

I've now added 100 cell FVD brombacher xpipe cats and combined with the flash the car has gained noticeable hp and torque improvement across the rpm band.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 PM
edge2.7t is infamous around these parts
I believe Todd from http://www.protomotive.com does 996 cable throttle (993 ecu) tunes. That might be who Fabspeed is using. He is well know in the 993 world.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:07 AM
francisr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by edge2.7t
I believe Todd from http://www.protomotive.com does 996 cable throttle (993 ecu) tunes. That might be who Fabspeed is using. He is well know in the 993 world.

I will see what Todd has to say. The thing I don't like about the GIAC is that is a standard tune and cannot be custom tailored for your mods when they exceed the standard muffler/intake.

I may take the road less traveled and have my car dyno tuned by a well known shop in my area, Fluid Motor Union. Keep everyone posted...

Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Any update? Seems like GIAC and Evomsit can...

Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
DaveFL1976 is infamous around these parts
Ditto

Originally Posted by geetee
Please let us know if you've found any info. I'm in the same situation...
I've decided that an ECU flash will be my next mod and am leaning towards the Softronic because I like the idea of being able to do it yourself and reset it back to factory if needed. Plus, the Softronic is now including the Durametric software for free, so that's an awesome combo for 8 or 9 hundred bucks.

I'm just waiting to hear some independent review on the Softronic on 99 cable-throttle cars. Post 'em if you got 'em!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by DaveFL1976
I've decided that an ECU flash will be my next mod and am leaning towards the Softronic because I like the idea of being able to do it yourself and reset it back to factory if needed. Plus, the Softronic is now including the Durametric software for free, so that's an awesome combo for 8 or 9 hundred bucks.

I'm just waiting to hear some independent review on the Softronic on 99 cable-throttle cars. Post 'em if you got 'em!
I just called softronic.....no go for 99 cable....the only option is to remove the ECU and send it in....which is something i'm trying to avoid..
so far Giac is the only tune that can be done via obd port at a giac dealer...

Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by C70Pete
I have the GIAC flash on my 99 C2 for 7 years now and its great... eliminates the lethargic spot from 3000-3500 and adds more zing above 4000 rpm for sure... good for about 20hp 20 ft/lbs of torque... good stuff

don't change your airbox; just upgrade your air filter to a B&M; the GIAC tune for 99 is designed to work with stock airbox... the EVO intake made my car slower and I returned it for a refund...

I've now added 100 cell FVD brombacher xpipe cats and combined with the flash the car has gained noticeable hp and torque improvement across the rpm band.
is giac a standard canned tune or do you get to chose octane/intake/exhaust tune?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, I have an appointment for a GIAC flash with a local tuner as it's the only tune I've found that can be done via OBD on a cable 99. I'll keep everyone updated....

interesting claims from GIAC......claims 20+ increase for the cable 99 yet claims about 10 increase for the wire drive 00+'s...any thoughts?..I'm to lazy to call GIAC up and ask...

Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I would love to get rid of the torque loss with muffler bypass i wonder if a custom flash could tune the car just right. Any idea's?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by geetee
Well, I have an appointment for a GIAC flash with a local tuner as it's the only tune I've found that can be done via OBD on a cable 99. I'll keep everyone updated....

interesting claims from GIAC......claims 20+ increase for the cable 99 yet claims about 10 increase for the wire drive 00+'s...any thoughts?..I'm to lazy to call GIAC up and ask...
Does not make sense?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:32 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JSavinoJr
I would love to get rid of the torque loss with muffler bypass i wonder if a custom flash could tune the car just right. Any idea's?
has anyone thought of using upsolute? http://www.upsolute.com/index.php?op...18&id_model=75

also, since when does the muffler bypass give you a torque loss? i have it and i see nothing but gains.. ive never understood how people think that removing restrictions in exhaust piping is going to cause a torque loss.. that only happens when you mess around with the diameter of the headers or the length of them.

here's fabspeed's dyno graph (which could be biased of course)

Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM
scantu is infamous around these parts
muffler bypass reduces back pressure and kills low end torque. You get better performance on the high RPM. I did the bypass and lost so much power that i didn't want to even drive it. Put a set of sport muflers on it and gained more than my baseline stock. Having a stock engine with ZERO backpressure doen't make any sense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Tune for a '99 C2 Cable throttle