996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anyone thought about integrating a "Tablet" ipad-playbook-dell streak into the Dash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone thought about integrating a "Tablet" ipad-playbook-dell streak into the Dash?

I have a 2002 with the BOSE, i love the sound of the factory radio- i dont wanna do that double din thing, seems too expensive + i think stock bose is excellent & i dont wanna mess with all the wiring, ect...

I was simply thinking since i have 2 empty cubby holes i can try to fit one of those tablets in there, (but i'm sure some kind of adjustment would need to be built for everything to fit snug since all those tablets have rounded edges, the ipad is too big, but there are other smaller ones, like Dell Streak, Samsung, ect... just for "cosmetic" + using Nav on 3G maybe.

I may embark on this project, if anyone else is a good DIY person i think they should try this idea.

Last edited by Tarek307; 06-11-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 AM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
Tarek, this is what I did this week, I pulled out the tray and the CD holder, made a faceplate out of clear plexiglass and matched the black texture of the radio exactly, mounted a new TomTom VIA 1435TM and an iPod Nano. Wiring of the TomTom is from behind and completely concealed, the unit has bluetooth, loads my iPhone phonebook automatically, reads texts to me as they come in, has lifetime updates for traffic, maps, traffic cameras and works like a charm, I'm really impressed with it. I also had a sub added in the rear deck this week to complete the lack of lows with the factory radio.

Last edited by white99c2; 06-11-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Nice. Can you remove it as well, to use it off the car?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, I mounted a round disc that came with it it onto the face plate. Watch this review and you'll see how it mounts as well as the voice recognition I forgot to mention. Mine is one model above this 1435TM, the M get lifetime map updates the TM gets both lifetime traffic and map updates, The thing was a steal for the price and is very hi tech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tCrW9EYc40

Last edited by white99c2; 06-11-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
What's your goal? Do you want to use it as a nav system?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, it is a nav system, isn't it?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 AM
wmiranda is infamous around these parts
There are some sweet videos of peeps that have installed an iPad into the dash.. I think the guy (whom I cannot find right now-of course) installed into his Escalade?... looks factory and he can do NAV, MP3, Internet and play Angry Birds(Street name: Digital Crack) if needed. Everything you can do with an iPad.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Speedart has iPad installed in console. But... these are suvs, not a coupe sports car....

http://blog.speedart.us/2011/04/15/s...r-cayenne.aspx

Old 06-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes guys i know this has been done in SUV's and so on, but wondering if we can do it in our 911s,

Rob that looks good, i'm gonna give you a call, your definitely innovative man, lol..

Old 06-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
FWIW, a good Kenwood or Pioneer double-DIN head unit will cost you about the same as an iPad and will be a better fit and probably suit your needs better. Don't get me wrong, iPads are cool, I just don't see the appeal in a car. The nav system is better in a double-DIN unit, it would be easier to install, it would play digital music and add Sirius/XM. The iPad would certainly allow you to play video games, but you can't do that while you're driving. It allows you to browse the internet, but you can't do that while you're driving. What other benefits does the iPad offer if it's installed in your car? I can't think of any.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
FWIW, a good Kenwood or Pioneer double-DIN head unit will cost you about the same as an iPad and will be a better fit and probably suit your needs better. Don't get me wrong, iPads are cool, I just don't see the appeal in a car. The nav system is better in a double-DIN unit, it would be easier to install, it would play digital music and add Sirius/XM. The iPad would certainly allow you to play video games, but you can't do that while you're driving. It allows you to browse the internet, but you can't do that while you're driving. What other benefits does the iPad offer if it's installed in your car? I can't think of any.
A double din unit requires alot of work + is at least $1500 $2500 job, an ipad is $499 plus an ipad wont fit in the car, i'm thinking a Dell Streak or Samsung Tablet. Also i LOVE the STOCK BOSE SOUND its excellent & i have the ipod adaptor thing so my ipod works- I like the Stock Stereo look, dont want something saying pioneer or whatever, would rather keep the porsche unit.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM
r9g
r9g is infamous around these parts
I'll agree with Dennis C. that a double din offers a driver a bit more with the right options. Regarding the cost, I just purchased a Pioneer 930bt for a decent price. Total dollars look like this:

Pioneer 930bt: $630
Euromotorspeed Double Din Kit: $169
Installation: $225

For just over a $1000, I've got everything I'll need. I would figure if you're not going the diy route, you'll pay a bit more than I did for install and parts needed to make it work. Remember, there's no kit out there for an iPad install in a Porsche. The cost could very well be more than what you're seeing for a double din -- without the driver-friendly controls.

If you're dead-set on an iPad, it definitely would have a "coolness" factor, but if you're thinking it'll save you some bucks, I beg to differ.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by r9g
I'll agree with Dennis C. that a double din offers a driver a bit more with the right options. Regarding the cost, I just purchased a Pioneer 930bt for a decent price. Total dollars look like this:

Pioneer 930bt: $630
Euromotorspeed Double Din Kit: $169
Installation: $225

For just over a $1000, I've got everything I'll need. I would figure if you're not going the diy route, you'll pay a bit more than I did for install and parts needed to make it work. Remember, there's no kit out there for an iPad install in a Porsche. The cost could very well be more than what you're seeing for a double din -- without the driver-friendly controls.

If you're dead-set on an iPad, it definitely would have a "coolness" factor, but if you're thinking it'll save you some bucks, I beg to differ.
I never said ipad if you read the post i say the ipad is too big and wont fit double din takes away from factory look, & stock radio- i just ordered a 7" Navigation unit that i'll try to fit in the bottom shelves

Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
strat10 is infamous around these parts
yeah, but can you play angry birds?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by strat10
yeah, but can you play angry birds?
I have an iPad for that!

Seriously though Tarek, if you want that functionality in the car, then go for it! I was just questioning it because I thought there might be a better option. The new tablets are nice, and they are certainly a cool thing to play with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone thought about integrating a "Tablet" ipad-playbook-dell streak into the Dash?