996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Large brown spider in the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
Large brown spider in the car

I know this is not really specific to the 996, but was not sure where to post it so this is where it ended up.

As I was getting out of the car this morning to go to work I saw a largish brown spider sitting on the window trim around the passenger side window. He was indside the car squeezed between the glass and the rubber molding. I opened the door hoping to get him out, but of course it just scared him right into the car.

So I have nver seen a brown recluse before and did not know what to look for, but after I got inside and googled the images I would say that I am 80% sure that is what it was. The spider was 3/4" - 1" long including the legs, and was a solid light brown color. I could actually see coarse hairs on the rear of his body.

So my question is if you saw what was potentially a brown recluse spider in your car what would you do? I am actually contemplating setting off a bug bomb in the car. Anyone done this? Will it destroy my interior?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Wink

Simple.....I'd just swap cars for a week with my wife.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM
ranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to behold
I would not set off a bug bomb in your car. They are made to clear several rooms, not the interior of a small car.

You might be able to bomb the garage, and leave your windows open. That shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM
rrrruben is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brando
Simple.....I'd just swap cars for a week with my wife.
Friggin' funny.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
Google the results of a bite and you might think differently about the bomb.... I think a liberal spraying of Raid might do the job...

On a similar note I had my alarm go off 2 or 3 times the other night.... finally at 3:30am I got up and went out to the car to confirm my hopes..... rather than an alarm issue I had a big, fat moth in the cabin..... it would come out at night and fly around setting off the motion detector....

Truthfully... I would prefer the moth to the spider.... and I would hit the cabin with raid.... but I might wait til I saw her again so I would know I got a direct hit....

Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 AM
I've gone back out to look for her 3 or 4 times today and there is no sign of her. The bigger fear I have is if she lays/laid eggs in the car. From reading about them this morning, it seems this is peak time for them to be laying eggs. The average brown reculse lays 3 - 5 egg sacks with hundreds of eggs per sack...

Not sure that is what it was but man I really don't want to find out I was wrong.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Time to trade in!!
I would use a little bug spray not a bomb. Try Bengal. Great stuff!!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

If you are that worried about it, pull the door panel and track that sucker down!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:09 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Fill the car up with toads.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM
If he showed back up long enough for me to get him with bug spray, I would mash him into the dashboard. When I tried to get it out of the car this morning it ran into the back seat and disappeared.

I am thinking parking in the garage with the doors/trunk open and letting off 3 or 4 bombs is the way to go. I have a 2 car garage with a 20 ft ceiling at the peak, that is more cubic footage than 1 bomb is designed to treat.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Get out the vacuum cleaner and cover every surfaceyou can reach; under the seats; up under the dash, etc. They also make spider traps that you could leave in the car overnight and check them in the morning. The spiders are attracted to the trap somehow and their feet stick to the surface. Worth a try???

Old 06-13-2011, 01:03 PM
mjb2448 is infamous around these parts
Just pray it doesn't make it's way to the engine....., then you should seriously think about doing an IMS retrofit stat !!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I'm going to have nightmares now

Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 PM
KeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to behold
Hopefully I can ease your fears it was most Likely NOT a brown recluse.
They usually live in Dark quiet dark places and also looking at your sig if you live in Tampa I think Florida is a bit to hot for them.
One other things is Brown Recluse are not hairy .. wish you could have snapped at pict.
I have a friend who is a spider expert.

Last edited by KeithR32; 06-13-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM
EngineRoom is infamous around these parts
I was bitten by a recluse in my car. I almost had an accident and my leg swelled up badly over the next few days. Fire bomb the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Large brown spider in the car