996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

loud bang under hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
loud bang under hard acceleration

I recently started noticing that whenever I accelerate hard, there is a loud bang / clunk prior to the car taking off.

The car is a tiptronic, but it even happens in manual mode when the car isn't changing gears.

My initial thoughts would be a transmission or engine mount?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Tranny mount is a possibility...mine was clunking also...especially the 1-2 shift

Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
This isn't during shifting though, it happens when pressing the accelator pedal harder.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Mine did it when I was accelerating...then when I floored it...it would clunk right before it took off also...of course it could be something else in your case but I can't think of anything that would clunk other than maybe suspension component?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Did you ever get your issue resolved? I was kinda hoping this thread would lead me to a common issue with a renntech doc on how to fix it

Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
In my case, it was the tranny mount. Well, I did both...replace the engine mount....and filled the tranny mount. My exhaust pipe was sagging on one side so I replaced the engine mount....very easy to do. Tranny mount on mine needs to be pressed out with the tranny removed. At the time I didn't want to have the tranny dropped again as a month before, it was removed for the AOS.
I filled the tranny mount with polyvinyl silicone instead...btw the rubber inside the mount was totally shot and sagging/banging around.
To do it right, remove the tranny(depending on year of car mount is different) and have it pressed out and new one put in. There is a DYI on one of the other forums.
Haven't had the problem reoccur yet.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I like the filling solution as I'd rather not have to drop the tranny. Is there maybe a DIY for that?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
No need to drop the tranny on a tip

Had the same issue and a new mount fixed it

Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by PasPar2
No need to drop the tranny on a tip

Had the same issue and a new mount fixed it
yours is mk2? I think the mount changed on the mk2's and the whole mount was removeable?
On my 99, there is no way that mount was going to come out without dropping the tranny...

Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM
is this DIY-able? If so, is there a guide somewhere? I tried searching already.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
on rennlist there is a DIY with the tranny removed....I don't think there is a DIY with the tranny in
I helped my shop and it took 90 min. going very slow with a lift. If you have a lift it's pretty easy.
Remove the plastic panels covering the tranny
support the engine and tranny
remove the upside down U bracket and bolts (6-8)
you now have direct access to the front of the tranny where the single mount is
if your mount is shot, the center of the mount would be offcentered (basically touching the top)
Recenter the mount and fill the area around it with whatever material you have
Sorry I don't have any pictures but that's basically it
BTW this is for MK1...I believe the MK2's have different mounts....not sure

Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.vertexauto.com/UserData/I...rge/283725.jpg
That's what my tranny mount is like and as you can see the top and bottom portion is empty from the factory. The metal piece in the center needs to be "centered" as it sags and the top and bottom needs to be filled

Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Seems like.....paspars car... the Mk2's have replaceable mounts like this
http://www.vertexauto.com/UserData/I...rge/239691.jpg

Old 06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Question

mine's an early 2002 mk2.. can i just buy a new mount like that?

Old 06-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Part No: 99737503303
states all 996 turbos and 02+ C2 and C4 tip tranny so....I guess you lucked out..
call suncoast and confirm with them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: loud bang under hard acceleration