996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

System on the budget!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 PM
sempaipaul is infamous around these parts
System on the budget!

Hey guys, well I need to upgrade the horrible sound on my 2000 drop top. I am however, on a budget, so I dont think I will be jumping on the Focal train.

I have found some speakers that are in my $100 range.
1. Boston Acoustic S60
2. MB Quart PVI 164
3. JBL GTO608C
4. MB Quart RSI 216

These are all the 6.5" speakers. As I understand it is no problem to fit the 6.5 in the doors? I still want to keep the OEM door appearance with the speaker grill...

What would you guys recommend for the dash speakers and rear speakers? I am first planning to replace all the speakers, further down the line I will replace the amp and the headunit.

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 PM
mitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud of
how did this work out for you?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think you're right to upgrade the speakers first - they are the weakest link in the system. The speakers you have listed seem fine, although I don't have any direct experience with them. My guess is that they would represent an upgrade over the OEM speakers.

I do have 6.5" speakers in my doors, and they fit behind the factory grilles. However, a custom speaker box was built allowing me to mount the new speakers after the Bose unit was removed. You may have to do something like that to mount them.

Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
speakers

First check your new speaker ohm impedance especially for the door as I recall they are 2 ohms.
So you need 2 ohms for door or change your amp for better one as the new amps are stable in 2 and 4 ohms