996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996- best year / worst year?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zookie
Really? Just because Pamala Anderson got a Boob Job does not make her NOT Pamala Anderson...
LOL, never really thought about it like that from that perspective.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Clearly, everyone has their opinions....some are based on evidence, some on ego & substance abuse.

1. If you like to work on your car and can take the engine apart & put it back together, then a Mk I 996 is an excellent value ('99-01). They run well. Many have never had any significant problems. But they do have a higher incidence of engine issues...many of which are not that expensive to fix, especially if you can do the work yourself.

2. If you're not so mechanically inclined, then a Mk II series is probably better. '02 - '04 may be a sweet spot in that the IMS bearing is easily replaceable. Personally, I prefer '03-'04. '02 might have an advantage if you like to change your stereo as I think it's the last year with standard copper connections in the stereo system (pre MOST).

3. I don't know that we have any reason to believe that the M97 won't have IMS issues over time. '05 is the first year with an IMS bearing that is sealed and can't be replaced without opening the engine. So, personally, I'd skip '05-'08....and jump back in with '09 that doesn't have an IMS at all. Given that '09 was the first year of the new engine, there's even some argument to wait for a '10.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 AM
rrrruben is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Clearly, everyone has their opinions....some are based on evidence, some on ego & substance abuse.

1. If you like to work on your car and can take the engine apart & put it back together, then a Mk I 996 is an excellent value ('99-01). They run well. Many have never had any significant problems. But they do have a higher incidence of engine issues...many of which are not that expensive to fix, especially if you can do the work yourself.

2. If you're not so mechanically inclined, then a Mk II series is probably better. '02 - '04 may be a sweet spot in that the IMS bearing is easily replaceable. Personally, I prefer '03-'04. '02 might have an advantage if you like to change your stereo as I think it's the last year with standard copper connections in the stereo system (pre MOST).

3. I don't know that we have any reason to believe that the M97 won't have IMS issues over time. '05 is the first year with an IMS bearing that is sealed and can't be replaced without opening the engine. So, personally, I'd skip '05-'08....and jump back in with '09 that doesn't have an IMS at all. Given that '09 was the first year of the new engine, there's even some argument to wait for a '10.
Well thought out. Cheers.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
FUNNY

Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
j beede is infamous around these parts

From what I read I wouldn't think the average 996 buyer is equipped to do their own oil change let alone IMS bearing upgrade--whether single row or double row . If you are one of the brave souls who have done the LN Eng upgrade yourself I'd certainly like to hear about your experience.

If you are considering a MY99-MY01 996 make sure to check the engine code. Porsche replaced a number of these m96 motors in the 2005 timeframe and those "reman" engines have the larger IMSB which precludes the LN Eng upgrade unless R&R and tead down is in the cards already. If you see the letters "AT" in the engine code that is a reman motor.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
'02 - hands down.

'cause I own one!!!

JB

Old 06-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zookie
Really? Just because Pamala Anderson got a Boob Job does not make her NOT Pamala Anderson...
Have you seen pics of Pamela Anderson before the boob job and facial work etc... might as well be a different girl/engine!

I think the real question is at what point does a modified anything become something else?
I'd say it improved her performance significantly though

Mute point now, as the mileage is too high and the rough ride is showing

Everything is relative.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
trisgale is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JB Lifeguard
'02 - hands down.

'cause I own one!!!

JB
Agreed! Best year is the year you own or gonna buy.

I vote 03 and the best color is red...

Old 06-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Airrik is infamous around these partsAirrik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by j beede
From what I read I wouldn't think the average 996 buyer is equipped to do their own oil change let alone IMS bearing upgrade--whether single row or double row . If you are one of the brave souls who have done the LN Eng upgrade yourself I'd certainly like to hear about your experience.

If you are considering a MY99-MY01 996 make sure to check the engine code. Porsche replaced a number of these m96 motors in the 2005 timeframe and those "reman" engines have the larger IMSB which precludes the LN Eng upgrade unless R&R and tead down is in the cards already. If you see the letters "AT" in the engine code that is a reman motor.
Beede, Where can I find these letters "AT" in the engine code on my 996 MK1. Where do I look under the engine block perhaps? Would I find this in the manual?

Thanks

Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Optical TDI is infamous around these parts
From what I read I wouldn't think the average 996 buyer is equipped to do their own oil change
Go to Rennlist and read some posts (but most of us internet guys aren't average of course). Many folks do a lot of their own work. Most everything is simple except when the tranny has to come out.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Detoxx is infamous around these parts
04 Anniv, love the sound of the x-51 powerpack and I'm a bit biased as I own one.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM
j beede is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Airrik
Beede, Where can I find these letters "AT" in the engine code on my 996 MK1. Where do I look under the engine block perhaps? Would I find this in the manual?

Thanks
There is a vertically oriented number plate on the driver side of the crankcase, just below the header pipe for cylinder #3 (nearest the driver) and just above the sump cover. The print is too hard (for me) to read without putting the car on a lift. I did have success taking a picture of it with my digicam--easy to read in playback mode. I suggest putting a towel or piece of cardboard on the ground before trying the camera trick--and remove your watch, wihch I failed to do
...j

Old 07-02-2011, 10:41 PM
pterfloth is infamous around these parts

I did my own double row LN IMS replacement in my home garage. Really not that big a job and there is a ton of online support and threads. Good off-season project. At 70k miles in my 2000 3.4 the IMS was in perfect condition but I am very happy that I replaced it and the AOS as preventative maintenance.