996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need new suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 PM
cmer is infamous around these parts
Need new suspension

Hi all,

My 1999 996 C2 Cab needs a suspension overhaul it seems. The car feels very bumpy, the steering wheel turns/shakes at every little bump and the springs started squeaking recently. My other car is a BMW 3 series and the handling of my 996 feels like a piece of crap compared to the beamer.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on my P, but I was something good. Great value/bang for my buck basically.

What do you recommend? Also, which part should I change? Just the coils and springs, or is there something else I should consider changing? I'm no mechanic but I like to buy parts myself to save money and to make sure I buy the best I can get for my $.

Also, is it a waste of money to do the rear as well? It's hard to know if the rear is due, but I assume so...

Thanks so much in advance! I must need the help/tips!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
Mileage?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Hard to say. Odometer says 40k miles, but I suspect it's more around 80-100k.

Originally Posted by gsieck
Mileage?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 PM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
M030 RoW upgrade kit. For $1200 or so you get new struts and springs for all four corners, and front/rear anti-sway bars with bushings. You'll need to factor in installation labor if you don't do it yourself, and a four-wheel alignment.

This kit is the "outside of the US" Porsche sports suspension. Sportier ride, better handling, slighty lowers the car. From lots of on-line reserach this is widely touted as the best "bang for buck" suspension replacement. Which is why I have one arriving from Suncoast Porsche tomorrow , which I'll install in a couple of weeks when I have a bit of vacation time.

Yes, you'll be spending a bit more than you would for just replacing the worn front stuff, but the increment is small--just price front springs and struts by themselves.

That's my $0.02. YMMV. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 PM
This is great info thanks!

How many hours should I ballpark to have this installed by a mechanic?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 02TX996Cab
M030 RoW upgrade kit. For $1200 or so you get new struts and springs for all four corners, and front/rear anti-sway bars with bushings. You'll need to factor in installation labor if you don't do it yourself, and a four-wheel alignment.

This kit is the "outside of the US" Porsche sports suspension. Sportier ride, better handling, slighty lowers the car. From lots of on-line reserach this is widely touted as the best "bang for buck" suspension replacement. Which is why I have one arriving from Suncoast Porsche tomorrow , which I'll install in a couple of weeks when I have a bit of vacation time.

Yes, you'll be spending a bit more than you would for just replacing the worn front stuff, but the increment is small--just price front springs and struts by themselves.

That's my $0.02. YMMV. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:54 PM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
Glad I could help!

IIRC, people "doing it themselves" say it takes them 6+/- hours on a C2. C4 will take a bit longer because one has to disconnect/reconnect the front half-shafts. One thread where a shop installed the kit plus did the alignment stated a labor cost of $700 which, at dealer shop rates, is about 5 hours.

Renntech.org has a very good writeup on M030 step-by-step installation if you go the DIY route.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The problems you are describing are probably caused by worn shocks. But you can get the ROW M030 suspension for not much more than the cost of shocks. You might want to consider the Koni FSB's. The 993 crowd seems to really like them. I almost went with them but found out that they are only made for the C2, not my C4. I went with the PSS10's which are twice the price of the ROW M030's and don't have sways as part of the package. But I do enjoy the adjust-ability of the PSS10's.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks Dharn. I looked into the M030 a little bit and it seems that it can be a little "stiff". Should that be a concern? Since I'm no expert, being able to buy everything as a "kit" makes my life much easier. The price of the M030 kit also seems right considering everything is included. The roads in Montreal, Canada are ridiculously bad, I want to make the right choice.

I don't track, this is mostly a daily driver.

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:12 PM
b-man is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cmer
Thanks Dharn. I looked into the M030 a little bit and it seems that it can be a little "stiff". Should that be a concern? Since I'm no expert, being able to buy everything as a "kit" makes my life much easier. The price of the M030 kit also seems right considering everything is included. The roads in Montreal, Canada are ridiculously bad, I want to make the right choice.

I don't track, this is mostly a daily driver.

Thanks!
Do you have 17" wheels? If so, you have tall tire sidewalls, so the ride will not be very stiff. I think most people with the M030 suspension have 18" or 19" wheels.

I think the ROW M030 suspension kit has got to be one of the best buys of all time. Porsche could double the price and it would still sell well.

b-man

Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I have 19". After more reading, it looks like the M030 is going to be what I'll buy. Seems incredible!

Originally Posted by b-man
Do you have 17" wheels? If so, you have tall tire sidewalls, so the ride will not be very stiff. I think most people with the M030 suspension have 18" or 19" wheels.

I think the ROW M030 suspension kit has got to be one of the best buys of all time. Porsche could double the price and it would still sell well.

b-man