996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Engine reuilders, tuners in the north west?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Vipercliff is infamous around these parts
Engine rebuilders, tuners in the north west?

Hello All. Does any one have any experience with Paul Weir "Porsche Engine Expert" In Marysville Washington?

Or can you recommend an Engine re builders or tuners in the pacific northwest?

Thanks

Last edited by Vipercliff; 08-20-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Call John Walker in Seattle. He only works in air cooled models, but most likely he'll tell you who does and who does not in the NW.Has been around forever and good reputation.

206-789-6800 www.johnwalkersworkshop.com

Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM
amg e55 is infamous around these parts
What is going on with your current 996 engine?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 AM
It's broke

I just purchased 2002 996 to track it. The previous owner stated that it had an immobilizer issue, so of course I couldn’t start it prior to the purchase. But I like to roll the dice from time to time to keep life spicy. (That’s another story).

Anyway, So I take it to my local dealer to get the immobilizer issue resolved. Three weeks later for two hours of work! The dealer stalled me for what seemed like forever. Porsche is so ashamed of the M96 that I think they don’t want to deal with them at all and hope they will eventually all die and go away. (That’s another story).

So when they tried to start the car, they said it sounded like air was escaping and they heard metal to metal contact? Instead of further diagnostics, they decide to just hit me with the $18,000 plus $3,600 labor estimate for the remanufactured engine! (Crapted out)

So I’m looking to see if there was any one in my area that can rebuild a M96 engine. I heard of a few shops in California, but before I shipped it down south, I would like to see if I could support my local economy/small business.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 AM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Not to bring it up... but the previous owner lied to you. That's called fraud... unless you paid nothing for it and took it as is, I'd talk to him.

If the shop is reasonably reputable, rebuilding the engine is not difficult. Any shop that does racing knows how to, as all they do is rebuild racing cars and so forth. Sometimes, they do not advertise they do it, but if you talk to them, they can make an exception.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Treid to start the car

So I’ve been thinking the dealer was blowing me off and not wanting to deal with the car. So today I went down and tried to start the car myself. It turned over a few times and then quit turning over. All I can hear was the starter motor. I didn’t hear the metal to metal sound they were talking about.
Anybody knows what may be the issue. Bad starter motor, bad battery, or is the engine trying to seize?

Thanks

Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM
dennish is infamous around these parts
get a second and third opinion

Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Onthepodium is infamous around these parts
Try this shop in Seattle, WA, they to do very good work, specialize in track cars, and have a great reputation. http://www.fordahlmotorsports.com/ . I have dealt with them several times. If you wanna ship to the east coast I know several shops here very well. http://beheperformance.com/ , http://www.intersportautosales.com/ .

I agree with getting multiple opinions before a repair investment like that, its not a couple grand. You could build a race motor for about that dealer price.

Go back to the seller, if you can catch him, I wonder how many looked at it before you. Another consideration, based on what you may have paid, would be to sell the car and recover what you can and buy a proper one, with a PPI and some consulting first. This solution may only cost you $10K vs $23K.

Dropping the motor/trans is no big deal, couple hours, but broken internals and machining work and eng assembly is what will cost you.

Onthepodium
East Coast

Last edited by Onthepodium; 08-29-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: adding additional info
Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 PM
It lives!!!

Ok just got her back after three months. I ended up shipping her off to Costa Mesa California to have the engine and trans rebuilt by Auto Strasse Corp. I have one word to some up the experience and quality of the work. Awesome!!!

Robert went above an beyond. Not only did he do a nut and bolt overhaul of the engine and transmission but he took care of others issues I wasn't aware of and only charged me the cost of the parts.

The waiting was the hardest part. I think I called Robert three times a week for an update. I have a tendency of being annoying in that way but, Robert was very patient and answered all my questions.

The car runs better then new, and the cost to overhaul the engine and transmission was well below the price of a crate motor from Porsche and that includes the cost to ship the car there and back.

I wish Oregon had a Porsche repair shop as good as Auto Strasse. Definitely recommended!