996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How Important is PSM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ph3n0m
I don't have it in my '99 and i never miss it. With the engine in the rear, you'd have to do something pretty crazy to lose it in a non-turbo. The car is 3000lbs and it's mostly sitting over the rear wheels. If you do something like floor it in 1st or 2nd around a turn, then yes, you'll lose it. Idk if PSM will save you from your ignorance at that point or not. I got lose in it once around a turn, with rear engine/RWD stay on the gas it's difficult to spin, period. Again, I don't ever wish I had it.
Actually, that's the proverbial double-edged sword. Yes, with the engine in the back you have a ton of weight on the rear wheels and therefore a lot of grip. However, once you lose that traction for whatever reason (e.g. road conditions, going too fast, lifting/braking and shifting the weight to the front in a turn, etc.), then that weight in the back will cause a pendulum effect and swing that big rear end around to the front faster than you can say "Oh Sh$t". I'm thinking that PSM just might save one's bacon in that situation.

PSM might be even more useful in the non-turbo car. I would guess that the AWD in the turbo would help you to not spin out.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i am in complete agreement with aerodude. my 2002 C2 didn't have PSM and when i lifted to avoid a head on collision while over taking a slower car, the car was out of control. i am not sure if PSM would have saved me but it sure would have helped.

get it. i think if it helped 10% in an emergency, it's worth it.

if you dont have it, i would advise never taking the car to the limit. it's easy to drive to the limit in a 911 but not easy to recover.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 PM
bornrich is infamous around these parts
My 99 has a LSD. You know you have one in a 99 if you have a TC (Traction control) button on the dash. IN know not all 99 or any yea where they all have LSDs. It is an option and one not normally need or desired unless you plan on driving the car hard and fast ( on a track).

Old 06-25-2012, 06:33 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Important!

Wouldn't drive a car without it, I have the C4S and you can actually feel the car adjusting when I push her.