996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Car Stalling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
Car Stalling

So, I take the car from service, and I drive about 80 miles. Abut 111 degrees outside. I get a coffe, and when back, the car does not want to start. After trying a few times, it does, but very easily it dies again.

I drive home, about another 30 miles of curves, fast, and nothing, the car is just fine. I pick up my kid from school, and when I get to a stop sign, the car stalls again in the middle of the turn. I can't start it... and eventually it does. Thank god for a strong battery.

I thought was the MAF, althoug I did not have a CEL. I had a CEL 3 times in the last 3 months and I got away with cleaning the MAF.

Just in case, I ordered and replaced the MAF. Took the car for a spin. Starts perfect in cold. Go and get dinner somewhere. When I come out, the car is not completely cold as it was less than an hour... and it stalls upon start, again.

I drive it home avoiding as much as I can to leave it and no problems.

One thing I noticed is that when cold and idling, it runs a bit higher than when hot and idling... and stalling.

Suggestions: Fuel pump, lines... AOS...? Did they screw up something when changing the air filter? Would having a durametric help? I was going to get one....

Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Anybody?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Took the car to the shop, on a flatbed just in case. Will post whatever the deal is.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me.
Good luck.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
Boost Leak?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
Just realized you probably dont have a turbo. Scratch that last comment.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:52 PM
I wish hehe

Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Ok, problem solved. Mechanic could not find anything at all. As a last resort, he drove the car for a day. Nothing. Eventually, he reproduced what happened: Drove the car, warmed up, run an errand, came back, and then the car chocked.

It was a purge valve... will post which one exactly. When the car warms up, and gas expands, fumes, etc, the valve did not let excess gas come out, thus chocking engine. It only happened when car was warm and after some buildup. Hard to detect.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Camp is infamous around these parts
Did you ever find out which purge valve? I just picked up a '99 C4 that is doing something similar. It has died on my wife twice and me once, no warning, no chugging of the engine, no CEL. We don't have any trouble restarting though, just turn the key off and back on to start and away you go. I cleaned the MAF last night hoping that was it but, I'm unsure as we only took the car to the bus stop this morning, about 2 miles from the house.

I'm new to Porsche so I'm trying to figure this thing out. I have service manuals for it but nothing to help diagnose this problem. It doesn't appear to be tripping any codes. I find it strange that all the dash power stays on and the engine dies but the CEL light doesn't come on, even though the engine doesn't seem to be running. I'm guessing there is something in the system as well that prevents the car from bump starting, since we have been rolling each time it has done this and it does not attempt to restart no matter what gear, clutch in or out.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 AM
valve

Will post details from repair. Tt was the EVAC system, purgue valve. Note that my car only did it when the engine was warmed up, and fumes expanded but could not be purged thus jamming the operation and normal flow of gasoline. When the car was cold, it would work normally.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Camp is infamous around these parts
Yeah, I doubt my issue will be the same thing then. One of the time my car died, my wife was just pulling out of the garage and it hadn't been running in at least the last hour.