996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PSM and ABS Warning lights on

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:51 AM
TJH
TJH is infamous around these parts

I replaced the battery in my 2001 996 C4 at the weekend, drove it for two miles, next time i started the engine the PSM ans ABS warning lights came on.

was it a result of the battery replacement, if so what do i need to reset or is it something else ......... ?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM
jeneric996 is infamous around these parts
Yes; sounds like it is related to your battery change.

Try starting the engine and turning the the steering wheel full left then full right or vice versa. This should reset the sensors.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:57 PM
TJH

just got back into London tried turn the sheel full lock to reset but no change to the warning lights - any ideas?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
ogun228 is infamous around these parts
Try checking your brake lights switch. A bad one has these symptoms.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:48 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That or an intake leak before the TB? Or try changing your mass airflow sensor out too. But get an OBDII scanner first and read the code. The brake light switch also does that too.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
+1 on the MAS

Old 09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
TJH
i realised at the weekend that the voltage gauge was showing 10 volts which I originally put down to a faulty battery as it did not hold its charge, so I put the old battery on slow charge for the weekend and today it appears healthy.
I put a volt meter across the battery in the car whilst the engine was running and it recorded just over 11 volts.

Could the PSM and ABS warning lights be a result of a faulty alternator or a faulty voltage regulator on the alternator?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
fpb111 is infamous around these parts
Low voltage will cause them to light

Old 09-06-2011, 02:07 AM
TJH
thanks

another stupid question, how can i find out if it is the Alternator or voltage regulator?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
fpb111 is infamous around these parts
Unless the Alternator bearings are shot, pull the belt and spin it, it is most likely the voltage regulator.
The regulator is mounted on the back of your alternator along with the brush holder. Often it is worn brushes.
Pictured are three that would fit the alternator on my 2003. The Porsche one was more $$ then any of the others. YMMV

Side note:
I have a 2004 Mercedes ML350 that I had to replace the regulator on. I was surprised that it had the exact same alternator as the one on the 996. The only differences were the Mercedes & Porsche part #s.

From another source:

"These sites reference the different part numbers and various companies offer a replacement part for the Bosch part. These companies usually only have one part number and list ALL the Bosch numbers as equivalents. Here are a few of several possible sources of information. I would like to suggest that you google the part numbers yourself to double check. I have satisfied myself but I cannot guarantee 100%. I can tell you that my car is behaving perfectly with the F 00M 145 350 part.

(Ref; http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46473
OR
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/archive/index.php/t-187174.html
OR
http://www.jnelectric.com/bombridge.asp?bomtype=wu&lc=BO&partnumber=F00M1453 50&manufacturer=Bosch&description=Regulator%2C+El e ctronic )

Finding a voltage regulator
Through various sources I found and confirmed that the Bosch number for the regulator in the Porsche alternator is F-00M-145-225. It would appear that this part isn’t actually listed anywhere as a separate item, although I did manage to track one down on e-bay. All is not lost though, as the same part is available under different part numbers. Various websites cross reference the above part number with the regulator for various Volkswagens from the similar years as well as Audi’s and Mercedes. For reference a commonly available part seems to be the F-00M-145-350 or F-00M-145-341 for VW, Audi, and Mercedes which fit perfectly.

These sites reference the different part numbers and various companies offer a replacement part for the Bosch part. These companies usually only have one part number and list ALL the Bosch numbers as equivalents. Here are a few of several possible sources of information. I would like to suggest that you google the part numbers yourself to double check. I have satisfied myself but I cannot guarantee 100%. I can tell you that my car is behaving perfectly with the F 00M 145 350 part.

(Ref; http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46473
OR
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/archive/index.php/t-187174.html
OR
http://www.jnelectric.com/bombridge.asp?bomtype=wu&lc=BO&partnumber=F00M1453 50&manufacturer=Bosch&description=Regulator%2C+El e ctronic )

I suspect that the different vehicle manufacturers insist that Bosch supply parts with a unique part number or that Bosch manufacture identical parts in different locations and assign part numbers to each. If anyone can give me an informed answer to this or if they can tell me if there really is any difference between them I would LOVE to know!"

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM
TJH
thanks

Old 10-09-2011, 02:20 PM
TJH
Sorry for the delay, I spent 80% of the time out of the UK, this weekend I got the time to look at my car (wife had enough of me driving her's) got a Bosch Alternator with voltage regulator fitted delivered a while ago, fitted it as per guidance, only took about two and half hours; replaced the belt at the same time, everything fine now. engine seems quieter probably - thanks for all you guidance