996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Electrical Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Ph3n0m is infamous around these partsPh3n0m is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PhatchitC4s
Any updates I'm really curious what the problem was . I caulk it up to the alternator
what are you going to caulk up to the alternator lolol???
sorry couldn't help myself.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
CMartin348 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PhatchitC4s
Any updates I'm really curious what the problem was . I caulk it up to the alternator
No updates yet, dropped it off at the shop today. Will keep updating the thread as I find things out.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:55 PM
marb.1961 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up I'm experiencing quite the same problem with my C4

I'm following this discussion very closely because I'm facing very similar problem with my 99 C4 as CMartin348's (radio goes on and off, battery charge drains very quickly and window remains up when shutting the door). I took to a specialized shop and they are still investigating; but they anticipated it can be the alarm system. Another problem is that I left the key in the start slot while washing the car a couple of weeks ago, and they told me that this should be avoided, since it quickly drains the energy (?!?). Anyway, I will keep following and will post more updates as soon as I have it. Best regards to you all and thanks for sharing the experiences.
Marco.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by marb.1961
I'm following this discussion very closely because I'm facing very similar problem with my 99 C4 as CMartin348's (radio goes on and off, battery charge drains very quickly and window remains up when shutting the door). I took to a specialized shop and they are still investigating; but they anticipated it can be the alarm system. Another problem is that I left the key in the start slot while washing the car a couple of weeks ago, and they told me that this should be avoided, since it quickly drains the energy (?!?). Anyway, I will keep following and will post more updates as soon as I have it. Best regards to you all and thanks for sharing the experiences.
Marco.
Interesting! Please let me know if you find out anything definitive. I should hear from the shop today about mine.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
This is . I have the same problem your talking about. Happened to me just last week (2x) but its been fine ever since. I do have alot on the battery (audio system) but am starting to think its the alternator again. I have replaced it before and its not hard at all. few hand tools and it will be out easily. Keep us updated! Jay

Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM
logray is infamous around these partslogray is infamous around these parts
Might be a bad ignition switch too, those can have lots of electrical gremlins.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Alright, time for the update! Problem is solved!

My apologies for taking so long, I had a two week business trip and just picked her up from my friends house today.

Voltage Distributor was faulty and needed to be replaced.
Current Distribution repair
Ground wiring and wiring around the battery had some corrosion
Drivers side window regulator was out

Everything is perfect now and she's driving great!!! Track day Friday, which I'm excited about and then Tail of the Dragon in a couple weeks!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Now I'm really starting to get irritated...

Tonight I go out to my car to come home from "work," start it up and the lights are flickering, although to a lesser extent. If I flash the lights the voltage on the left of the dash drops a little bit (like before) and it never goes above 14 even while driving. So I just spent $1,200 getting this "fixed" and now it seems that it's starting again... hmm...

The flickering stopped as soon as I started driving. I hate issues like this.