996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need some quick pre-purchase advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:58 PM
JRW-910 is infamous around these parts
Need some quick pre-purchase advise

[EDIT: Sorry about the spelling... guess I can't edit the title]

Hey guys,

I am really close to picking up a '99 C4 coupe and want to hear what you think. I'm looking for a cheaper 911 6-speed to drive through the winter (as much as possible). It will be my first Porsche but I will probably dump it and pick up a newer turbo in the spring if I really enjoy it... if not, I'll try something else.

Just so you know... I am a car guy and do almost all my own work. I have a large garage and workshop with a lift which helps. I currently also own a '90 B2K Callaway (TT V8), '91 Dinan 8 (TT V12), Escalade for winters, and a race prepped Vette.

The car is is a 1999 Carrera 4 coupe with just under 100k on the clock. Its silver with blue leather interior. The current owner has had it since '07 and has done about 7-8k miles on it ... just weekend driving. The only major maintenance that has been done in the last few years is a water pump. The paint is decent but has some minor scratches and rock chips up front. The interior is beautiful including the drivers seat. The engine compartment is pretty clean ... at least compared to others I have seen. It will probably need front tires (possibly all 4) and rear brake pads.

There are no records of the RMS or IMS issues being taken care of at this point. From my research, it seems that these issues seem to pop up more on lower mileage cars which aren't driven enough... allowing seals to dry up. I realize not everyone agrees though.

One thing I noticed and am a little unsure about was the four 'roof tabs' (for lack of the proper word) that seem to slide open to reveal a set screw of some sort. Two of these were really loose and appear to be broken. Major issue?

I plan to go back this weekend to get the car up on a lift and take a thorough test drive. As long as nothing comes up I plan to make an offer. My thought was to start at $14,500-$15,000 and see what happens. I will not go over $16,000-$16,500.

What do you think?

Thanks,

-JRW

Last edited by JRW-910; 09-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Get a good pre-purchase inspection from a qualified Porsche mechanic.

A 1999 C4 in the winter will be a different driving experience from a 996 turbo in nice weather. They are very different machines.

Will you put proper winter tires on the 1999 if you buy it? I'd recommend it.

Last edited by Dennis C; 09-09-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 PM
1PorscheFanatik is infamous around these parts
Good Luck with your purchase. As a current 996 C4 Coupe Owner (purchased in 2004, I'm the 2nd owner) I wouldn't worry about the roof rack mounts, they can be easily remedied. Definitely look for a car with at least some records, this is very crucial with these cars. My advice would be to test drive a few models (non-turbo and turbo) and see what agrees with your taste. Purchasing the right car the first time will save you a lot of issues when selling in such a short time period. Most buyers might be wary of a car that you only owned for a couple months, especially without any records. Also in reality I do not know many individuals that have purchased early 996 cars in the last 2 years that paid under $20K for a "maintained" and cared for car with a clean title in great shape. eBay and unfortunately Excellence Magazine are leading one to believe that early 996 C2 & C4's can be had for under $20K.. For clean cars that were not multiple owned or abused/neglected, I haven't seen these sales occuring. I would be very careful. For myself I wasn't really looking for my car at the time when I purchased it, but it had the right options and checked out fine. It has brought me years of happiness and I know that you will feel the same with the right car as well. - Good Luck