996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Dreading the day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 AM
broncoking is infamous around these parts
Dreading the day

...that my car starts making noises like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Vfz3Qig3kSounds like it is coming from under the car (I think the video amplifies the sound - its not that loud in person)

From reading previous posts sounds like a throwout bearing/Clutch disc?
Anyone heard anything similar?

Started yesterday - The noise(sounds like a whinning metalic noise) only happens when I hold clutch pedal depressed. Seems to vary with engine RPM.

Clutch is holding great (ie no slipping) but the clutch pedal feels strange. The first few inches of travel are very springy and don't disengagne then the last few inches disengage the clutch.... when releasing the last few inches seem to 'pop' back for lack of a better description.

'03 C4S - Original Clutch - 69k miles.

Guess I'm headed for a clutch??

Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
CoolHand is infamous around these parts
If my car started to bark like that I would definitely be worried.....

Seriously though, it sounds bad....

Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
+1 on throwout bearing. IMHO, take it to your trusted p-car mechanic to verify.

Given the miles on the whole clutch system (discs, pressure plate, throwout bearing), if it is a bad throwout bearing go ahead and replace the whole system. As long as you're in there, consider any other work that's easily done with the engine and transmission decoupled--RMS, IMS upgrade, etc.

Seeing as you're nearly a neighbor of mine (I'm in the Woodlands)...if you don't have a trusted mechanic, consider European Auto Techniks off of Rankin Road/I-45. Michael Crowley knows his way around p-cars blindfolded, is a real craftman, and is very honest/fair to deal with. Highly recommended.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Alan111 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like the throwout bearing to me, especially that the sound is only made once the clutch pedal is depressed and held. That would indicate something for sure with the throwout bearing. A loose pressure plate or failure would sound more like a bag of bolts being juggled around. Check for a video on rennlist about a suspected IMS failure.

Buy I would suggest to go with a whole clutch assembly, throwout bearing, pressure plate etc. Given the amount of miles, it is time.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Interested in selling the car?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
IMS sorry, same sound from mine check "blown engine" vid however it may not to late to fix with LN. My opinion is I would not drive and have it checked.

http://www.webbspot.com/Porsche/FVDVideo.html

Last edited by Mother; 09-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sinKing
Interested in selling the car?
Duooooode? Personal PM my work better just a suggestion.

Last edited by Mother; 09-19-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
broncoking is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the feedback. Local Indie had a waiting list so I quit driving the car and dropped it off at the shop last week. Yesterday they tore into it and found the main culpret was a failed throwout bearing, Failed pressure plate and my release fork was rubbing on the pressure plate fingers.... causing the noise.

IMS was leaking pretty bad as well - so replacing the IMS,RMS, release fork, and clutch while they have the car apart.

Thank goodness the flywheel was OK, and nothing was catastrophic. Guess the car should be good to go for a while now.

Suprisingly the clutch disc was still in good shape at 69k miles. Maybe because I tend to always heel toe and never launch the car hard....