996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

worn driver's seat bolster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
worn driver's seat bolster

My bolster is cracked, thin, and starting to wear through. Can an upholstery shop do anything to fix or replace this? Not sure if they would be able to match the savannah beige, but I wouldn't mind doing the bolsters and outer part of the seat bottoms in black to accent. Or at least I don't think I would mind... Anyone know anything about these or some other option?

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
There are people out there that specialize in this type of repair. I imagine all dealerships and car lots use them... You need to talk to them and find out who is the best.

I had my 99 C2 done... about $100 and the seats looked new!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Peterpokerplane is infamous around these parts
I've had mine redone on my Porsche as well as several other cars. I usually have them sand, fill, and redye the entire seat, but yours seems worse. You can have just the bolster section replaced. They take the entire cover off, and replace the section. The leather is sometimes hard to match, so I usually have them just use a textured vinyl. It's much more durable, and once they sew it in, you redye the whole seat, so that the color is the same over the entire seat. My local upholstery shop charges $75.00 per section, so if it's just the bolster, then it's just $75. Then, I would have the interior leather surfaces redyed (like Sosoomi1 I believe). Then you'll have a like new interior for around $200-$300 dollars. Shop around though and look for one that does lots of work for dealerships, otherwise the shops will try to charge you $500-$1000 for the same job.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:58 PM
BTW, when they do the seats, make sure they also do the parking brake handle and steering wheel. The results were AMAZING! The steering wheel feels brand new, and the brake doesn't have all the nicks on it anymore.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I had the leather panels replaced for my bolsters on the seat bottoms and seat backs. My interior is Natural Brown Leather, which is also a little more difficult to match. The leather shop did a good job with mine, and I actually had them add seat heaters when they had the seats apart. The leather doesn't match perfectly right now, but it will darken a little with exposure to sun and air. It should match perfectly in 12 - 18 months. In my case, it was $250 per panel to replace the leather.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah- that's what I am finding. Around $200 per panel, so around $450 for the bolster and the seat bolster. Um, where are you guys getting this done for $100???

Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by fourempties
Yeah- that's what I am finding. Around $200 per panel, so around $450 for the bolster and the seat bolster. Um, where are you guys getting this done for $100???
I'm getting them done here in Texas by a shop that does a lot of work for dealerships. It's located on a stretch of road that has a ton of salvage yards, repair shops, and tote the note car lots. The best thing to do is to ask the used car manager at dealerships, and hopefully they can pass along a number to you.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I need to get mine done as well. I'm going to look at a place in Jersey,I'll let you know the price.