996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

The Saga of my GT3 Bumper....(long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:26 PM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
The Saga of my GT3 Bumper....(long)

If you all have been following I have been debating around my bumper issue since earlier this year. Trying to decide between a copy bumper out of fiberglass or getting an OEM GT3 bumper. In the end based upon everyone's advice I decided it wasn't worth spending 800-1000 bucks on a high quality fiberglass one when a factory plastic one is about 1300-1500 bucks as the prep work on the fiberglass would make the difference in price negligable and the fragileness of fiberglass vs. plastic makes the choice clear. I should get the OEM Porsche GT3/AeroKit II bumper. The decision was reinforced when a budy tapped something in his vette and the cracks were bad when on a normal car would have just required a bit of buffing or wet sanding.

So about a month ago I called suncoast porsche to get a price. They told me the GT3 bumper was about $2000, but the aerokit II, which they told me was the same was about 1300 plus shipping. Now usually I use Suncoast for all my parts, but I figured let me check if a local dealer would price match so I could pick the part up without shipping. A bumper is an expensive item to ship as I learned back in my boxster days.

Brandywine said they would price match Suncoast's price for the Aerokit II bumperkit.

So I ordered the part from Jay at Brandywine. Jay was very helpful and called suncoast to verify the price and everything was ok. He told me the part was out of stock in the US and in Germany, but to check back with him in a few weeks. So I did.

After about a month I called jay to check up again, and he told me no luck. I said no big deal but was curious what would happen if someone was in an accident and really needed a bumper. He said they would get the GT3 version which does not even include the lip spoiler for 2000+ dollars. Jay said in typical porsche fashion pay more for less, an addage I hear often. I said I'd check back with him in a few more weeks.

The next day a new guy into the picture, Justin from Brandywine calls me and says he has located a bumper, but it is the GT3 one and he will honor the price. He said he had to order it from the oem manufacturer but it's the same. I said OK and gave him my Credit Card number.

The next week, I got a call the bumper was in. He said is was very nice and even came with mesh grill guards. I was very happy and said I would go pick it up on thursday when I could get my wife's wagon to carry it.

Something was nagging at me, I guess it was the mesh grill guards. So I started googling the web to see if the GT3 had mesh guards. The only model that did was the GT3RS. I figured, this may work out great as I love the GT3RS, but wasn't willing to pay the difference for the bumper. So I called Justin at Brandywine back to check that it was the right bumper and was really a GT3 bumper or was it a different bumper(Waiting for him to say it was the RS bumper), Nope he said it was an GT3 bumper I said good as I already ordered the cup car splitter from "the racers group"

So today was thursday and I drove 100 miles to Brandywine to pick it up. I go inside and am shown a Porsche labled parts box that is rather large and guess what. It's a replica fiberglass GT3 bumper, non porsche, with no cutout for the tow hook and no holes for the splitter and the workmanship looks crappy, I can tell the prep work on the bumper would be expensive. Justin tells me it's a good piece. But having no experience with fiberglass bumpers I cannot concur so I take his word for it, but I wanted a plastic OEM bumper not a knockoff, or I would have gotten one for about 500 bucks less and a lot less hassle. So while he tries to convince me to take that one with remarks about how much it cost him to get it in shipping, he tries to locate the correct one. He also says sorry, but does not sound too sincere, and says he just ordered the replica one because he came in on the end of an order and heard a customer needed the part and he didn't know I wanted a real porsche bumper. Needless to say he can't get me a bumper for the 1300, but could breakup an aerokit for 1600. I tell him I just want my money back and keep trying to get the bumper as I can wait.

They credit me back my money, though the cashier has to get approval from the manager.

So I get in the car to drive the 100miles back and get on the phone with Rick at Suncoast. I order the bumper, pay in full and told the guy the story and that I know it will take months to get since it's out of stock in the US and germany but I don't care and I trust him enough to pre-pay and get me the right part as they have in the past countless times before.

I called Brandywine back and told the guy I don't want the bumper and cancel the order, he said he can't once he's placed it. I'm sure when he gets a real Aerokit bumper someone will want it and pay more. I actually don't care now since he tried passing a replica bumper off on me when I orderd and oem one and I did get my credit back on my card. If he didn't I would have filed a complaint with Visa.

My mistake, I should have stuck with Suncoast and not tried to save the $100 bucks on shipping, I've never had a problem with them and I won't be ordering with Brandywine again.

I don't have my OEM porsche aerokit II bumper yet, but I will and it will be thanks to Rick at Suncoast.

So now that I've vented I feel a bit better....

Old 04-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Moogle is infamous around these parts
wow brandywine tried to defraud you?

Old 04-29-2005, 09:06 PM
bumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond repute
damn that sucks, at least you got your money back!

That's ultra shady that they tried to pass off a knock off bumper (including it in a Porsche OEM box too!) I've only ordered one item from Brandywine - a Carrera GT keyhead via groupbuy, but had no issues.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
PorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to allPorschePRH is a name known to all
Hey, sure you don't want to buy a fiberglass replica with grill screens? Brandywine is selling one on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Old 04-30-2005, 04:09 AM
Yep that's the one. Now I'm really pissed. Strange, it I was just there yesterday and this has been for on auction for a few days, with a buy now. My guess is they got stuck with it from someone else and tried to pawn it off on me. Notice it implies it's factory and does not mention fiberglass anywhere. The real factory bumper is made from a flexable plastic and is pre-drilled for everything and requires minimal prep work from the body shop before painting to look perfect.

If they get someone who has done the research, then they will have a very pissed person especially if they get it mailed. Since I'm sure there will be no refunds and if there is shipping will be in the hundreds of dollars from shipping to and from.

This is scary from a real porsche dealer and a board sponser. I actually think this must be Justin, he told me he was going to be running their new porsche performance shop. He must be a little over zelous to get some sales.

Old 04-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Just had a though, should I email them using the ebay contact info and ask if it's the...

"Same POS fiberglass bumper" he tried to pawn off on me or is it another one that he tried the bait and switch on with someone who got wise on him.

What's everyone's thoughts, should I be calling Porsche North America and letting them know a Porsche Dealer is selling replica parts in OEM porsche boxes and by clever omission is implying they are OEM porsche parts?

By they way never cross me I am a vengful bas##@^%#rd, I live in the same state as the soppranos, and grew up in NY(OK eastern Long Island, but still).

Old 04-30-2005, 07:00 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
I have been a long time customer of Brandywine spending in excess of $10K over the last 2-3yrs. Things started to head downhill when I wanted to buy red calipers from the factory, not some brembos or black ones that were recently powdercoated red. He swore that he did this all the time and had a core exchange program for ~$1600 for brand new ones direct from the factory. After waiting a couple of weeks(originally promised to be here in 3-4days), I called and Jay "slipped" by saying that the shipping was not in their hands since the calipers were comning directly from some company out in California. I restated that I want Porsche OEM red calipers and not something else. Jay swore up & down that these were direct from the factory, just routed through this company??? I finally got the calipers packed in shoeboxes, with a **** poor powdercoating job and the wrong types of decals. I was pissed. First Justin promised they were from the factory and would not accept a return. I had to have a written letter from my dealer(saying they were not new) as well as pics sent to Justin until he finally agreed to accept a return. Then it took him 3 wks to have UPS pick it up THEN it took 2 mos for me to get my credit card charged back.

Shame on me for continuing to give them my business but I tried to order spacers from them 3 mos later. I had an extensive talk with Justin saying I wanted Porsche OEM & not H&R and realized that it would cost a lot more basically for the name. I ordered 2 sets(one for me & one for Andy in Atlanta). I get charged for two sets but there is only one set when the package arrives at my door - even though the packaging slip says there are two sets. I immediately call Justin and he balks at first but then says he'll ship another set right out. Week after week goes by and no spacers. I have to call and each time they say there shipping them out that day. This goes on for 3mos!!!!! Finally then send me an email with the tracking number so I think this whole thing is over..... Yeah right.... I get the spacers and not only are they used, but they are NOT Porsche AND they are about twice as wide as the set I ordered. I called and spoke to Jay who INSISTED that these were brand new Porsche spacers even though they were in ziploc bags with marks from previous installations(and greasy!) Again I had to have a letter from my dealer stating that they were NOT Porsche OEM until Justin would accept my return. No only did he stiff me with the return shipping charges but THEN charged me AGAIN for the shipping of the correct spacers which arrived 3wks later.

Brandywine is a bunch of crooks in their parts dept. They started off good but once they started to grow , they started to go down the drain. and Jay???..... That guy is the biggest IDIOT and tool I have ever talked to. Either he is really stupid or really dishonest. I don't care as I'm NEVER giving them my business.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
ps - i bought my GT3 front bumper from Brandywine before all this crap happened. How do I know if received this POS immitation or the real deal?? Mine does have the cutout for the tow screw. It does not have a screen for where the 3rd radiator should be but instead just has a full black piece covering the hole.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:46 AM
dgray996 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by CoreyNJ
What's everyone's thoughts, should I be calling Porsche North America and letting them know a Porsche Dealer is selling replica parts in OEM porsche boxes and by clever omission is implying they are OEM porsche parts?
Yep, I would blow 'em in to PCNA and I think the treatment you received was pretty shady.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:05 AM
I guess the way to tell is to scrape it on a curb (Fiberglass will break/flake and the oem plastic will just scrape) or to ask the people who installed it if it was plastic or fiberglass. Trust me they would know. Fiberglass requires a lot more prep to make look perfect. Also fiberglass being harder than plastic is more suseptable to rock chips.

FYI: The black plastic piece in the center was most likely taken from your old bumper to fill the empty space unless your car was a tip or X51.

The other way to tell is to wait and see if cracks form as the year go by from the hot/cold expansion(look at very old vette's and you'll see what I mean)

Thanks for the story above, we should get the news out about these guys so they can't try to pull the wool over someone else eyes.

Cheers,
Corey

Old 04-30-2005, 09:32 AM
jdl175 is infamous around these parts
With respect to Corey Cohen

I am Justin from Brandywine. Please understand that it is not our intention to upset customers or sell mis represented products. This sitsuation has been blow far too out of proportion.

The factory aerokit II bumper is on global backorder and currently has not ETA. In an effort to provide a bumper to our customer sooner we contacted him regarding the aftermarket item. I explained to Corey that this was not OE and may be slightly different.

He agreed to purchase it and pick it up about a week later. Upon arrival he did not like the bumper cover. He was credited immediately. We appologize for the inconvenience, but he was informed prior to arriving at our dealership. Our only intention was to help satisfy an order sooner than expected. At $1300.00, this still was a great deal.

In regards to the brake calipers, I explained to him that they were new powder coated red to be sold on an exchange basis. Unfortunately, our supplier send him used red calipers instead of the Porsche OE units that we were promised. This customer was credited immediately and the sitsuation was corrected.

We appologize for any errors in orders or communications. We do our best to explain our parts in great detail prior to shipment or the initial sale. We do not operate in a dishonest manner, and we have never stuck a customer with an item that was not up to thier expectations.

We offer a 100% satisfaction return policy. That is how positive we are that you will recieve your parts in the condition and quality as promissed. If that is not a good enough policy, please inform me immediately.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Once again you explained to me the following....

"PCNA is out, Germany is out, I can get the GT3 bumper which is the same from the OEM supplier" OEM means origional equipment manufacturer, not a knock off aftermarket made out of a completely different material that I could have bought for $800 bucks from many other vendors. I was quoted the $1300 for a factory bumper not the one you have been trying to sell on ebay for the past week.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:41 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Hey Corey sorry to here about that. I have had a minor problem with them also. I ordered a small part for my top and they jerked me around a bit and then sent me a speaker grill. I called them and they said there was a mix up and my part went to someone else. I sent the part back and waited and waited and waited and finally I just went to the local guy. No big deal
On the other hand I have ordered from them other things and had no problems. I guess sometimes they do and cause problems. Like all businesses. I have a neighbor who loves them and uses them all the time with no difficulties.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:51 AM
jdl175 is infamous around these parts
Good Luck

Good Luck with your search for the perfect deal. I tried to help you but now it is over.

The EBay unit is described accurately. Please advise.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Actually I did have the $1300 Porsche OEM Aerokit II bumper deal from suncoast another board sponsor. You guys agreed to match the price and did order the part from porsche. Your mistake was trying to substitue a non-oem porsche part when you could not obtain one and inturn make a larger profit since you have a higher margin on these "knockoff" parts.

BTW, I do not begrudge someone making a profit, but not at my expense. I could have bought the same fiberglass bumper directly from the california based manufacturer you purchased it from for about $800 dollars. I'm what you call an informed consumer. Better luck next time.

Oh and if you want to fix the ebay ad, say "Replica in Fiberglass made in USA" somewhere

Last edited by CoreyNJ; 04-30-2005 at 10:04 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Saga of my GT3 Bumper....(long)